BMW Sort Brake Squeal

GSmonkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Booked mine in for a service today - mentioned the front brakes squealing at low speed and my inability to cure by cleaning and greasing. The tech mentioned that BMW are releasing new discs whereby there is a teflon coating on the floating bit of the disc that connects to the hub, which removes the squeal.

So give up trying to stop the squeal by greasing the pads and request the uprated discs at the next service.

Interesting.... I just had new discs and pads fitted under warranty because my offside disc was warped. I'll be interested to see if the squeal returns with those.

I'll have to enquire about this at my next service. Mine sounds like a double decker bus pulling up below 10 mph. This is my first BMW after many years of Honda ownership. I'm quite surprised that a bike costing over 9 grand can have so many problems.

I had these fitted under warranty as a 'test'. They still squeal when very dirty or very wet but no where near as babd as they used to.

After talking to my dealer last week about my squealing brakes, he suggested that I take out the pads and file the edges of the pad to create a chamfer.

I did this but the brakes still squealed like a pig with a stick up its ar-e.

After reading "Mouses" comments of 13 March re removing the disc mounting bolts and copper greasing the "hat shaped spacer", I gave that a try and got an immediate result. I can now use the front brakes without having the whole high street turning to watch as the bike slows to below 20mph.

Sounds to me like the teflon inserts perform the same function as the copper grease on the disc mountings - ie damping the vibrations in the disc that make the nasty noises :)

I had squealing brakes when i bought my bike last year, mentioned it to Southport superbikes on my first service and they completely sorted the problem but ive no idea how. Maybe worth a phone call to them?

No, they're awful. Unlike the previous GS models which never had a single problem, the 12 is plagued with such show stoppers as squealing brakes. I mean, that'd cut your holiday short, wouldn't it, if the brakes start squealing?

I sorted mine with some Copaslip on the back of the pads, the retaining pin and the anti-rattle springs. Took about 15 minutes. Dont know what everyone is wittering about.

I tried the same Tobers, but still the brakes squealed. As I said before the answer was to put copper grease on the disc mounting bolts.

Coated my earplugs in copperslip, that stopped the squeaking, bugger to keep them in though!!!

Ah! duct tape!

Pardon??

Shep

:D

Another confirmation. I phoned my dealer today to ask him to look at the squealing brakes during my service on Monday. He confirmed that BMW were going to sort this but wasn't sure by what method.

Squeeling Breaks

Called in to Allan Jeffries today and got mine booked in for the break mod, according to the pictures i was shown the mod is some new teflon coated disc carriers, not the disc its self!:beer:

This is good news. Although greasing the bolt spacers worked for me, I've had to repeat the process three times which is a bit of a pain.

The last time I went a bit OTT with the copper grease, so I then had to spend about 5 minutes after each ride for the next week cleaning the mess up. Not to mention getting paranoid about copper grease spilling out onto the disk surface.

Any new teflon-coated gizmo that stops ham-fisted mechanical incompetants like me from having to take a torque wrench to their brakes has got to be a good thing....

Informed by B.B.Crewe that kit is now available for the mod on my bike. Brakes have squealed from day one. So hope this does the job. Bike booked in June 3rd. Will keep all updated.

Ed

Ride Safe All

Re: Squeeling Breaks

jbj said:
the mod is some new teflon coated disc carriers, not the disc its self!:beer:
Oh bollox, was hoping for a new set of discs and pads courtesy of BMW!!!

Back
Top Bottom