Brit based in Germany

Waldspirale2

Reaction score
Hello all GS'ers. Ex Brit, now Deutsch, dipping my toes back into the GS world - had a Dommie NX650 back in the 90's and now on the waiting list for a Royal Enfield Hima 452 - hopefully arriving in April/May when the summer season starts in the Alps.
Germany / AT and CH obviously big no go zones for GS'ing but we are just an hour from France (Alsace, Vosges mtns) so plenty of day trips possible. Did test ride the Triumph Street 400 last weekend; not too impressed with the motor - very smooth, refined by hopeless under 4000 rpm and pretty unpleasant in 30 kmh town zones. Nice and light with low seat (I'm 5'7"). So the Scrambler looks the business (not avaialble for test ride here yet), but I will try the Hima first and see if the low seat and proper Adventure Tourer better suits me. Being used to the Dommie (and a Guzzi V11!) I can cope with vibrations. The Trumpet was so refined it was really quite boring after 50 km. Need something with a bit more character - just a personal thing.
For me, and I think quite a few others, the lack of low seat option on the Scrambler X400 is a deal buster. Shame really as just 2 cm lower would make it accessible to a much bigger market, IMHO. As the Alps are only 3 hours away it seems a GS/ADV that can do 'autobahn' ie. the Hima 450 could be the right choice.
Great forum and best of seasons to all the GS'ers out there.

Back
Top Bottom