Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

There's a new café at the A road entrance to the Pass of the Cattle. Brand new building, half being the cafe with good coffee and cakes, the other half being an art gallery (£££). The Bealach Cafe and Gallery, opened 5 weeks ago.

Apres Cafe - A702 / Edinburgh City by pass

Not exactly a greasy spoon but ideally placed for a stop off for those heading north or south via the A702 or the Edinburgh City by pass. It occupies the top floor of the Craigdon Sports complex so you can also pick up any butane cartridges etc you forgot to pack. Prices seem pretty good (Soup of the day and a cheese scone was £4.50) and there's plenty of parking which is covered by CCTV 24/7. Take the Hillend / Fairmilehead exit from the ECB and it's 30 seconds away.

Whitshiels Diner - A7 just North of Langholm

Thanks for bumping this thread, Peter. I've been meaning to post this for ages. The Whitshiels Café on the A7, just North of Langholm is under new management as the Whitshiels Diner. I went in there recently for an all-day breakfast and it's much improved over the last time I was in there with Micky and a group of other Yorkshire folks.

https://www.facebook.com/Whitshielsdiner?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

11012971_710120779110948_6840525387533838941_n.jpg

Mountain café in Aviemore is good, probably the best café in the village - if you can get in. Run by a Kiwi but still good

Its above Cairngorm Mountain Sports

Whistle Stop

If you are in the Selkirk/Galashiels/Peebles area it's worth stopping at the Whistle Stop coffee place in Innerleithen (at the Eastern end of the village). Fab bacon/black pudding/egg rolls and coffee. Well worth a try.

Hamish.

Broughton

Forgot to mention there's a grand wee eating place in Broughton. It's right on the junction of the A701 (Edinburgh/Moffat road and the B7016 Moffat/Biggar road. The usual selection of filled rolls, really good fresh scones, fresh coffee and full meals if you want.

.... and another springs to mind just as I'm writing this. The Denholm Meet in Denholm (obviously) on the A698 between Jedburgh and Hawick (the village is where Stuart Hislop was an apprentice mechanic at Oliver's Garage).

Hamish.

The Fire Station in Tamintool....open 365 days a year....I've had a bacon and egg baguette there on Ne'er Day.
And the truck stop in Newtonmore just doon i' road fae the filling sation

The Fire Station in Tamintool....open 365 days a year....I've had a bacon and egg baguette there on Ne'er Day.
And the truck stop in Newtonmore just doon i' road fae the filling sation

Wasn't open when I visited the weekend before last, I can recommend it though, been many times before and it's a convenient, clean and warm setting when out on a nice local run and there are many great routes in the locality. The scones are lovely and the bacon butties just about right :)

Andy

Beauly : riding the old A9 makes a pleasant change from taking the Kessock bridge out of Inversnecky. The Corner Cafe and Deli on the square is the place to go. If you are heading south from Ullapool (as I was) or north to do the NC500 etc, an excellent meal or coffee stop. A bit more than a "greasy spoon" - really good quality grub. None of your white scummy bacon - proper dry cured stuff and decent sausages. Lots of other good quality grub too. Coffee is the proper stuff too and really hits the spot. Beauly is a pleasant wee toon and not a bad place to stay overnight either.

New Kid on the block in Selkirk

OK folks. A new kid on the block has appeared in Selkirk. Much needed I may add (being a local biker).

It's the Fleece Hotel. Not long been taken over by a new couple. Not the best of places in the past but having been earlier tonight - really good. Looks like they do lunches and really good (and I mean really good) coffee.
Worth a try with parking in the square across the road.

Give it a go when your next through.

Hamish.

Spittal hotel Glenshee - Great run to get there too
'Clatterin brig' tearoom and the south side of the Cairn 'O' Mount
'Alistairs' in Fettercairn
'Peerie Shop' cafe high street Lerwick (Great bacon sanny)

Spittal of Glenshee Hotel burnt down in 2014. believe there was some hope of a community buy-out as the location is superb. Has this happened?

Spittal of Glenshee Hotel burnt down in 2014. believe there was some hope of a community buy-out as the location is superb. Has this happened?

Not yet so there is still hope!

On another note, came through Tomintoul on Saturday and notice that the 'Fire station' is up for sale so this nifty cafe may close down which will be sad as it is a great little place to stop!?

Back
Top Bottom