Cam chain noise.

Pale Rider

Reaction score
Hi, got a 2012 GSA twin cam with 52000 miles and am noticing a slight rattling from the left side cylinder head area on startup from cold, lasts for about 2 seconds, not every time but most times so am guessing it needs a replacement cam chain tensioner, am I right?
I’ve read a few posts on it but all refer to the 1100/1150 models so am guessing not so widespread with the 1200s.

Is it a simple enough fix or do I need special tools etc? And is there an upgrade part available?

Thanks.

I had the same thing. Replaced both, sounds better.

The left one is a pain in the arse to get at.
The right one is really easy.

There is mention that you need the engine set to top dead centre but I didn't bother and it was ok.

There is a special tool to get the air duct off. Think it's called a CV clamp tool or something. If you ever do the work PM me and I'll tell you what they are exactly.

A low profile socket set will be a godsend to do this work. (I never bothered cutting a notch out of a spanner.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

There is a special tool to get the air duct off.
Do you mean the air intake to the filter housing? I've never used a special tool for that, just pulled it off.

I think so, it's the big black pipe which connects the airbox to the throttle body. You have to remove both the pipe and the throttle body to get at the tensioner.

I'm no mechanic so probably made it 5 times more difficult for myself.

Just an outside thought. Wondering what oil the bike use running on. If it's 10/40, then it may well sound rattly on start up. No wish to get into an oil thread! But 20/50 will keep it quiet

Obviously this doesn't mean the tensioners aren't knackered. Just sharing a thought...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Now here’s the thing. At the last oil change and for whatever reason I switched from the usual Castrol power 1, 15-50 to Motul 5100 ester based 15-50 semi, i can’t remember it ever rattle with the Castrol so have once again changed back to Castrol and I realise it’s early days but the rattle seems to have disappeared.
Also it did seem to use a drop more Motul than it did Castrol previously.

Back
Top Bottom