Canada on the cheap-ish

Friday 3rd
Just been down for our free breakfast, I would never order this normally but as Liz pointed out, where else are you going to get steak and eggs for breakfast, especially free!
IMG_9026.jpeg
Today we plan to have a look at Grouse Mountain then do Stanley Park before booking into the Holiday Inn Downtown Vancouver and giving the hire car back ready for our flight tomorrow evening.

We drove to Grouse Mountain on the right of this picture but decided against paying 70 dollars each to go up to the top for the views.
IMG_9037.jpeg
Instead we went to the dam
IMG_9030.jpegIMG_9028.jpegIMG_9031.jpeg
and then on to Stanley Park
IMG_9040.jpegIMG_9050.jpegIMG_9057.jpeg
Then to the hotel to check in, even though it was a free night with our points, they still upgraded us to a mini suite.
IMG_9060.jpeg
I left Liz at the hotel and took the car back, 2554 miles traveled at (according to the cars computer) an average of 32mpg which is probably closer to 30 (I converted to uk mpg). Not too bad for a car that does 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds.
IMG_9059.jpeg
We’ll have to see how the hire car excess insurance I bought at home works out as I took the car back with a crack twice as big as in this picture taken a few days ago.
IMG_8860.jpeg

Had a late lunch due to the enormous breakfast and learning our lesson from Calgary, booked a table in the revolving restaurant on Vancouver Tower, paid a total of £14 for two happy hour beers instead of £24 to go to the viewing platform and sat there for an hour.
IMG_9072.jpeg
IMG_9069.jpeg
IMG_9079.jpeg
playing with the camera zoom on my new phone.
IMG_9080.jpeg
IMG_9085.jpeg
IMG_9087.jpeg
IMG_9100.jpeg
IMG_9097.jpeg

thanks for that, great. are there still as many homeless sleeping in cardboard boxes in doorways. vancouver was certainly a city of the rich and poor. thanks again for the memories.

thanks for that, great. are there still as many homeless sleeping in cardboard boxes in doorways. vancouver was certainly a city of the rich and poor. thanks again for the memories.
Quite a few homeless unfortunately, a lot injecting, smoking, inhaling in the streets in front of everyone, a ver sad sight indeed.

Just working out total costs for the 3 weeks, will update when my credit card catches up.
IMG_9153.jpeg
IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9161.jpeg
IMG_9168.jpeg
IMG_9170.jpeg
IMG_9177.jpeg
Paying too much for your cannabis?
IMG_9181.jpeg

Just added everything up including flights, car hire, accommodation, food, car hire excess policy, garmin sat nav with Canada maps (rented on eBay), fuel, ferries, the park pass needed for the Icefield Parkway and the coach we missed.
£3,154.16 obviously the biggest difference for anyone else trying to do it on a budget, we paid very little for accommodation.
If I didn’t have a dentist appointment on Monday it would have been a lot cheaper, they had overbooked the plane and were offering an overnight hotel, flight on Sunday and £1500, I was very tempted.
This is also the first holiday I can remember where we used everything we took and didn’t forget anything that was needed, going with just hand luggage does make you think hard about everything. One benefit of the plane being full was they allowed us to put our hand luggage in the hold free of charge, we did take advantage of that on the way back , lucky we did because there was very little space in the overhead lockers.

Back
Top Bottom