Circuit of Turkey.

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A pal has suggested that now i've got the NC, we ought to look at doing a proper trip. 4 weeks or so.
I was informed that as the furthest i have ridden was the edge of Turkey, i must be up for a circuit of the country.
This made me realise 2 things.
1. I didn't know that i wanted to do it, but it does sound good
2. I'm easily led :D
So, assuming I'm a reasonably competent rider and able to sort myself out when a problem occurs, I thought about it (for about half a second) and decided that a clockwise circuit of Turkey could be done in about a month, or so.
Bible down to Istanbul.
Follow the Black sea coast eastward, down through Eastern Turkey, across the bottom and up the west side.
Assume I've got Travel insurance and recovery sorted .
Assume i've got the time.
I'll be on the NC750X.
So, what advice/knowledge has the collective got to offer ?

Part of Turkey borders Syria and Iran. If you're skirting these areas, I'd check with the Foreign Office re geopolitical issues. Good luck.

Part of Turkey borders Syria and Iran. If you're skirting these areas, I'd check with the Foreign Office re geopolitical issues. Good luck.
Yean, i realise that, so i wouldn't go near the border. I think its the same at the eastern edge as well.

A great trip in the making....does bible roughly translate as 'blat' or 'blast' ?

I did what you are planning a few years ago Steve, but in the anti clockwise direction. The border region with Syria wasn't a problem then and there were great views over the plains of Mesopotamia.
Highlights to me were the Gallipoli battle area and the wonderful plaque there from Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey. The caves and underground dwellings of the people of Cappadocia, the Ottoman houses along the Black Sea coast and Mount Ararat (Noah) along the border with Iran; to name but a few.

I missed out Istanbul.

Northern Greece is good too on your journey there.

You will need all of the twenty eight days.

Ataturk's plaque at Gallipoli.

7nl3ur2pyd721.jpg

Last edited:
We’ve been considering this exact trip except maybe with a diversion into Georgia and Armenia (both visa free). IMHO 4weeks is not enough time. It’ll be a 6,000 to 7,000 mile trip so more like 6 weeks at “sightseeing pace” plus another 1,000 miles and 2 or 3weeks if we go into Georgia and Armenia. I would be allowing 1 week each way across Europe at nimble pace. Then 4 weeks for the turkey lap.

Another way to do it would be boat from ??? In Bulgaria to Batumi in Georgia then back through turkey, about 36hrs on the boat AFAIK but saves a load of time and miles.

We’ve been considering this exact trip except maybe with a diversion into Georgia and Armenia (both visa free). IMHO 4weeks is not enough time. It’ll be a 6,000 to 7,000 mile trip so more like 6 weeks at “sightseeing pace” plus another 1,000 miles and 2 or 3weeks if we go into Georgia and Armenia. I would be allowing 1 week each way across Europe at nimble pace. Then 4 weeks for the turkey lap.

Another way to do it would be boat from ??? In Bulgaria to Batumi in Georgia then back through turkey, about 36hrs on the boat AFAIK but saves a load of time and miles.
Are you allowed into Georgia and Armenia ?. i thought they were closed due to the fighting.

I guess I might have some answers to any questions you may have, ask away.

I'm a bit tied up today, but I'll jot down some general thoughts later this evening.

A month is plenty.

We went London > Istanbul > London in a week. But we were well ‘ard, nutter barstard, bikermates. Well, Tom was at least.

A month is plenty.

We went London > Istanbul > London in a week. But we were well ‘ard, nutter barstard, bikermates. Well, Tom was at least.
I was thinking 5 or 6 days to Istanbul 2 weeks or more there, 5 days back.

Are you allowed into Georgia and Armenia ?. i thought they were closed due to the fighting.
Foreign Office website shows most of Georgia and Armenia as OK.

I don’t think 4 weeks will be enough for your planned route. We’re allowing 6 weeks for our trip down to Antalya which is a mere 500 miles south of Istanbul. One thing I’ve always found when planning trips is distances seem to shrink the further they are from home.

Why not save yourself 4100 miles of slab & rent the self same bike in Turkey?

A couple of my bikermates did the round trip to Istanbul a while back. They had the usual 14 days annual leave, so say 16 days in all; they grabbed an interim day of rest halfway on each leg & a couple at destination, so your calculation seems about right. Would they take the ride again .......... probably not, as they needed a vacation afterwards, but sometimes these things just have to be done.

Why not save yourself 4100 miles of slab & rent the self same bike in Turkey?

A couple of my bikermates did the round trip to Istanbul a while back. They had the usual 14 days annual leave, so say 16 days in all; they grabbed an interim day of rest halfway on each leg & a couple at destination, so your calculation seems about right. Would they take the ride again .......... probably not, as they needed a vacation afterwards, but sometimes these things just have to be done.
Good thinking, I had a look at it but the cost would be £2000+. So I’ll stick with plan A.

Good thinking, I had a look at it but the cost would be £2000+. So I’ll stick with plan A.
I suspect 11 days in the saddle, ferries, tolls, fuel, food, accommodation plus fair wear & tear on you & the bike will easily exceed £2k, but I accept fly-ride doesn't offer up quite the same biker style adventure.

Keep us posted - it should be a fascinating trip.

I suspect 11 days in the saddle, ferries, tolls, fuel, food, accommodation plus fair wear & tear on you & the bike will easily exceed £2k, but I accept fly-ride doesn't offer up quite the same biker style adventure.

Keep us posted - it should be a fascinating trip.
It’s not a done deal yet. Joe has only mentioned going to Istanbul. If I’m going that way I want to see more than 1 city. Then of course there’s which way to come home.

Random thoughts.

Turkey's of sights. Far too many to see in a month so you'll need to be quite strict with want you want to do and see, trip advisor et al would good sources of info, to get a feel for what's here. Have a look at what's around for a route of: Istanbul - Ankara - Trabzon - Gaziantep - Antalya - Marmaris - Izmir - Canakkale. Try to stay off the motorways, they're dull and offer nothing more than speed (although 160km\h limits on some might get you places quicker).

People are mostly friendly and helpful, you'll be amazed at the hospitality of most Turks. Bear in mind there are few camp sites and almost none with even bad facilities, let alone good. Wild camping is fine and safe if you stay off the beaten track. There are a lot of very nice boutique hotels everywhere, which with the current exchange rate will be good value.

Honda have a fairly good network of dealers and service points if you need and Turkish bikers are very helpful if you break down, there's a few national clubs (If I remember right Horizons Unlimited have quite a few Turkish members who will offer lots of advice and useful contact info for emergencies) so you'll always find help if needed.

Driving in Turkey. They're all trying to kill you. Ride accordingly. Never, I mean never, give anyone the middle finger and, equally, never use the words "F*** you", unless you have suicidal tendencies, then go right ahead.

Speed limits. The bastards have hidden temporary radars everywhere. The govt needs cash and motorists are easy prey. Obey the limits and don't think you can avoid the fines once you leave, they'll stop you at customs where computer says "no".

Although Turks are hospitable, be careful about being ripped off. Foreigners are often the victims of massive over-pricing for the trinkets they like to buy, assume that any price you're given is at least 50% more than it should be and negotiate, it's perfectly normal here.

That's enough for now, I've got some Scotch inside me so any more advice will become less coherent from this point on. If you do decide to make the trip I'll throw more at you.

Just bear in mind, it would be a fantastic experience.

Random thoughts.

Turkey's of sights. Far too many to see in a month so you'll need to be quite strict with want you want to do and see, trip advisor et al would good sources of info, to get a feel for what's here. Have a look at what's around for a route of: Istanbul - Ankara - Trabzon - Gaziantep - Antalya - Marmaris - Izmir - Canakkale. Try to stay off the motorways, they're dull and offer nothing more than speed (although 160km\h limits on some might get you places quicker).

People are mostly friendly and helpful, you'll be amazed at the hospitality of most Turks. Bear in mind there are few camp sites and almost none with even bad facilities, let alone good. Wild camping is fine and safe if you stay off the beaten track. There are a lot of very nice boutique hotels everywhere, which with the current exchange rate will be good value.

Honda have a fairly good network of dealers and service points if you need and Turkish bikers are very helpful if you break down, there's a few national clubs (If I remember right Horizons Unlimited have quite a few Turkish members who will offer lots of advice and useful contact info for emergencies) so you'll always find help if needed.

Driving in Turkey. They're all trying to kill you. Ride accordingly. Never, I mean never, give anyone the middle finger and, equally, never use the words "F*** you", unless you have suicidal tendencies, then go right ahead.

Speed limits. The bastards have hidden temporary radars everywhere. The govt needs cash and motorists are easy prey. Obey the limits and don't think you can avoid the fines once you leave, they'll stop you at customs where computer says "no".

Although Turks are hospitable, be careful about being ripped off. Foreigners are often the victims of massive over-pricing for the trinkets they like to buy, assume that any price you're given is at least 50% more than it should be and negotiate, it's perfectly normal here.

That's enough for now, I've got some Scotch inside me so any more advice will become less coherent from this point on. If you do decide to make the trip I'll throw more at you.

Just bear in mind, it would be a fantastic experience.
I think I’ve already got a vague idea of a route. From Istanbul, follow the coast road along the Black Sea to about Hopa. Head towards mount Ararat. Then towards Mersin and follow the coast around to then exit somewhere towards Greece.

Back
Top Bottom