Cornwall Bank Holiday

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A short trip report for a run down to Cornwall for the bank holiday from the Cotswolds.

Friday

Left work head to stay with friends in Painswick. I decided I didn't want to take the motorway so headed south to Chippenham, Bath then the A303 all the way west.

Friday.jpg

It started well but as rush hour approached the traffic became insane and even with filtering and passing when I could it took 4 hours to get there.

On the plus side when I arrived I was treated to a BBQ, walk down to the sea and a sunset drink so all in all a good way to start the weekend.

IMG_7046_small.jpg

Saturday

Early start (for me) as my friends had a flight to catch so all packed up and ready to go for 7am but a fun route planned taking in Dartmoor and lots of the south coast including a couple of chain ferry's

Saturday.jpg

First stop was on Dartmoor where I planned to find a spot to have a coffee and enjoy what was looking to be a stunning sunny start to the weekend.

I found a great spot just past Grimspound and even got the drone up briefly (only time during the weekend as the wind picked up after here) for a look around.

IMG_7050.JPG
dji_fly_20230527_082632_153_1685172522701_photo_optimized.JPG

That's when the first issue of the day came up. Jetboil all set up and coffee and mug ready I was just about to boil water when I realised the Kompresso was nowhere to be seen. Packing fail! I really need my morning coffee so I was not a happy boy but not a lot I could do about it there so packed everything up and headed on my way in search for my morning hit.

Coffee found it was off to find the sea and some tiny roads and stunning views:

First ferry:
IMG_7059.JPG

Great remote spots:
IMG_7072.JPG

Then it went a little off plan. Heading down a 20% hill I came across a hatchback coming up, when they realised I wasn't going to reverse back up the hill for them (that would have been some leg day)! They started bumper car reversing their way back down, seeing as this was taking an age I turned the engine off whilst I waited and when they finally got to a point where I could squeze by my engine wouldn't start. :blast

Now when it was serviced the battery had died and that is what it sounded like again so I pulled over in the prettiest place to break down I've ever found and went for a walk along the beach to see if anyone had jump leads.
IMG_7073.JPG

The man in the Sprinter had a pump for his boat with battery connectors so we jimmied that into something that should work and I went to push my bike back. Just before I did I hit the starter one more time. Boom ... it sprang to life like nothing had happened! My guess is the fuel pump drained on the hill and the flat battery sound was the starter turning and not getting any fuel but if there's collective wisdom that say otherwise then I'm all ears.

Anyway, full of ruined weekend nerves and still thinking it was the battery a quick re-route was planned and it was back to St Austal to fiund a garage with a battery tester. The nice man in Halfords Autocentre oblidged and sure enough my battery has 100% health! So my fuel theory was born and seeing as the bike started every time from then on I have no better ideas.

It was getting later than planned and I was meant to meet my aunt in Portscatho so pitching the tent would have to wait. I made it on time though and had a lovely catch up, I haven't seen her in about 5 years so there was plenty to catch up on. Then it was time to grab the 6pm King Harrys ferry and head back up to Blisland and my campsite (and more importantly 8pm pub booking for dinner).

Tent pitched, stomach filled and local ales sampled it was time for some much needed shut eye.

Sunday
1685559294044.png

Todays plan was to explore Cornwall and make it to Lands End. It was a stunning day although breazy so the dron didn't get to go up.

I decided to take a faster route to Lizzard Point as I was pretty tired from Saturday and to try and find a beach on route to Lands End as well:
IMG_7088.JPG

The pink flowers are actually invasive so they're starting to clear them but they do make for a pretty view. A few seals out on the rocks and a nice stroll around before heading on my way.

First ice cream of the trip in Newlyn (Clotted Cream flavour):
IMG_7094.JPG

Onwards towards Penberth beach as it had been recommended to me, unfortunately it's become insanely popular but byt the time I realised I was commited so I found a place to drop the bike and a patch of sand to rest on for a bit whilst I had some lunch and relaxed, sea was looking very inviting but it was 12C and froze my feet off so I bottled and headed on my way:
IMG_7095.JPG

Lands End:
IMG_7101.JPG

The road from Lands End to St Ives is fantastic the B3306 is one to ride (excuse the grainy dash cam photos):
REC_230528-154157-000667F.JPG
REC_230528-154941-000673F.JPG

St Ives (Maple and Peacan):
IMG_7103.JPG

I met a biker at Lands End who I parked up next to in St Ives so we got chatting, he'd come down from near Wrexham (I think) and was doing a similar trip to me so we tagged together heading on up the coast uintil I peeled off at Perranporth to find some dinner

IMG_7107.JPG

A longer day than I thought it would be in the morning it was back to the campsite for some rest.

Oh and the campsite - South Pensquite Farm, highly recommended, they do breakfast baps and good coffee, theres a pub 30 mins walk away and they do dinner on site at the weekend as well.

Monday

Packing up and heading back home today but the plan was to avoid the motorway and keep exploring as much as possible
monday.jpg

Leaving the campsite was fun, wild horse and highland cows:

IMG_7112.JPG

IMG_7116.JPG

The first bit was interesting but the A39 to Barnstaple was nothing interesting and had a reasonable amount of traffic so worth skipping.

Boscastle:
IMG_7117.JPG

After Barnstaple it got a lot more intersting, the traffic thinned and the views were brilliant.

Saunton Sands:
IMG_7118.JPG

Lynton for lunch:
IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7122.JPG

I wiggled my way across Exmore following anoth GS for bit along the A39 east of Lynton - now that is a much better bit of the A39 and well worth riding!

1685562612450.jpeg

A small detore off the main road to explore some pretty villages and found some bees that had made a new home:
IMG_7126.JPG

As I continued on the traffic built up and I got tired so in order to make it home for dinner I bailed on my Glastonbury route and took the M5 north untill I could cut into the Cotswolds and take a familiar route home, would have been nice to do the full route but I was shattered so I made the right choice for me on the day. The motorway was busy but flowwing so it worked out well.

A nice write up, a brave move coming down here on a Bank Holiday weekend unless you stay off the beaten track. Sounds like you had a good time :thumby:

A nice write up, a brave move coming down here on a Bank Holiday weekend unless you stay off the beaten track. Sounds like you had a good time :thumby:

Yep. Possibly foolish with half term as well but I had a free bank holiday and have wanted to do this little trip for a while. It means I get to do (a slightly detached) LEJOG this year as well as I’m up to Scotland in August (again not perfect timing for tourists and midges but I’m taking what I’m given this year).

Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Im ashamed to say Ive never ridden in Cornwall, need to fix that........

Nice one tj. Braver man than me....Cornwall on a Bank Holiday :eek:....any 'day really.
Enjoyed that little jaunt ta :clap
Lynmouth is beautiful isn't it. (Lynton is up the hill, just saying ;) )

(y)

Nice one tj. Braver man than me....Cornwall on a Bank Holiday :eek:....any 'day really.
Enjoyed that little jaunt ta :clap
Lynmouth is beautiful isn't it. (Lynton is up the hill, just saying ;) )

(y)
Ah dang iot - I blame iOS for flagging the picture up the hill then :p

Lynmouth is beautiful and has a good chippy! Also the hill is very good fun (if you get a clear spot to enjoy it)

That bit of road from Lynmouth/Lynton along to Minehead is one of my favourites but I usually try to do it from Minehead just for the view as you drop down off Exmoor into Lynmouth.
Al.

That's a decent write up .. especially as I am reading it mid November and its raining and very dark outside ! Thanks for posting.
It is beautiful down there and I never tire of going back.

That bit of road from Lynmouth/Lynton along to Minehead is one of my favourites but I usually try to do it from Minehead just for the view as you drop down off Exmoor into Lynmouth.
Al.

a668eadc221bf4f060424432ec9ec8c7.jpg

I agree. Amazing road and great views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom