Deserves a review......

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just returned from a six week jaunt around Europe. For the last 28 years I carried my Terra Nova Voyager. A fantastic tent, but eventually and literally, wore out. I discovered this whilst unfortunately in Norway ! The Terra Nova is a top draw, expensive lightweight professional tent. And although I could part exchange it with Terra Nova for another, I decided to look around.
Wherever I looked, I kept returning to the Lone rider ADV tent. At half the price of the Terra Nova i see it as a good deal. So after six weeks of pretty much every night, I feel I've used it enough to review.
Pack size & weight is great. It fitted perfectly into the bottom of the right panier. The "dry bag" it comes with allows easy packing and compression. Although its claimed to be waterproof, Its not, The tent was put away soaked, and after that days riding it had leaked into the pannier. Erection is fast and simple, Even in the dark. Every single video on youtube that uses this tent, never puts it up correctly, with the top support poles over THE TOP of the main ridge poles. The pole system is great too. One piece. The main feature of the ADV tent over my Terra Nova is the two doors. This makes such a difference. Many evenings I didn't put the fly sheet on, and the mesh construction allows the air to flow through, This is also noticeable when the fly is fitted, with both outer doors left open. There is ample space inside for my sleeping system and all my gear. With also the two porch areas outside the main compartment. Materials used in the construction appear to be of good long lasting quality. The majority of locations over that six weeks were pitched on gravel, So the supplied footprint was always used. It was this that wore my Terra Nova out. It comes with two Porch awning lines, these were very handy when the bike or anything was near the entrance. Giving a sun shade. In wind & rain it was sturdy and never leaked.
The only negative part of the tent were the supplied pegs. They were literally all broken within the first two weeks. They were just too small and flimsy. In the UK on grass, they would be fine, But in the dry wastelands, Rubbish.
Overall, Very pleased with the Lone Rider ADV Tent.

Attachments

• 20230603_155712.jpg
    20230603_155712.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230606_175702.jpg
    20230606_175702.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230606_180544.jpg
    20230606_180544.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230619_162852.jpg
    20230619_162852.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230620_145821.jpg
    20230620_145821.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230621_123750.jpg
    20230621_123750.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230622_163423.jpg
    20230622_163423.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230625_164509.jpg
    20230625_164509.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230625_164523.jpg
    20230625_164523.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 69
Good to hear the Lone RiderTent works for you. I’m still with my Terra Nova Voyager, mainly for weight as I use it in the mountains back packing as well as biking. I notice the seams are starting to degrade though but it must be 15 years old. It will be a friend that’s hard to part with one day.

I've just returned from a six week jaunt around Europe. For the last 28 years I carried my Terra Nova Voyager. A fantastic tent, but eventually and literally, wore out. I discovered this whilst unfortunately in Norway ! The Terra Nova is a top draw, expensive lightweight professional tent. And although I could part exchange it with Terra Nova for another, I decided to look around.
Wherever I looked, I kept returning to the Lone rider ADV tent. At half the price of the Terra Nova i see it as a good deal. So after six weeks of pretty much every night, I feel I've used it enough to review.
Pack size & weight is great. It fitted perfectly into the bottom of the right panier. The "dry bag" it comes with allows easy packing and compression. Although its claimed to be waterproof, Its not, The tent was put away soaked, and after that days riding it had leaked into the pannier. Erection is fast and simple, Even in the dark. Every single video on youtube that uses this tent, never puts it up correctly, with the top support poles over THE TOP of the main ridge poles. The pole system is great too. One piece. The main feature of the ADV tent over my Terra Nova is the two doors. This makes such a difference. Many evenings I didn't put the fly sheet on, and the mesh construction allows the air to flow through, This is also noticeable when the fly is fitted, with both outer doors left open. There is ample space inside for my sleeping system and all my gear. With also the two porch areas outside the main compartment. Materials used in the construction appear to be of good long lasting quality. The majority of locations over that six weeks were pitched on gravel, So the supplied footprint was always used. It was this that wore my Terra Nova out. It comes with two Porch awning lines, these were very handy when the bike or anything was near the entrance. Giving a sun shade. In wind & rain it was sturdy and never leaked.
The only negative part of the tent were the supplied pegs. They were literally all broken within the first two weeks. They were just too small and flimsy. In the UK on grass, they would be fine, But in the dry wastelands, Rubbish.
Overall, Very pleased with the Lone Rider ADV Tent.
Every night for near on six wks is a bloody good test of any camping equipment never mnd a tent; sorry for the loss of your old friend; my lads dog ripped my old vango eqinox some years ago; it's funny how you get attached to stuff like that; :beerjug:

REF The Tarra Nova Voyager - In Norway, During persistent heavy rain, I noticed the water was getting in, Not from the fly or main tent, But from the ground. One day I held the tent up against the sun, and could see right through it. The ground sheet had literally worn away. I never used a footprint, that would have greatly lengthened its life, However, After 28 years, I felt I had my worth from it. Ill chop it in at Terra nova for a new one, one day. And the rest of the tent, All still looks new. A real credit to Terra Nova.

REF The Tarra Nova Voyager - In Norway, During persistent heavy rain, I noticed the water was getting in, Not from the fly or main tent, But from the ground. One day I held the tent up against the sun, and could see right through it. The ground sheet had literally worn away. I never used a footprint, that would have greatly lengthened its life, However, After 28 years, I felt I had my worth from it. Ill chop it in at Terra nova for a new one, one day. And the rest of the tent, All still looks new. A real credit to Terra Nova.

There's Yorkshire in your blood Sir......;)

Good to hear the Lone RiderTent works for you. I’m still with my Terra Nova Voyager, mainly for weight as I use it in the mountains back packing as well as biking. I notice the seams are starting to degrade though but it must be 15 years old. It will be a friend that’s hard to part with one day.
I bought a Voyager, but returned it for the Superlite Voyager (1.4kg) as it was strangely 5cm longer.
The day I drove to pick it up, they announced on the radio that Cameron was the new Prime Minister .... So about 2010.
Always been used with a footprint & still mint apart from where it's been rolled up wet and the red and blue dye from the pole sleeve indicators marked the inner.
Fantastic tent overlooked by most because you have to throw the fly sheet on.

Reactions: G&T
I also believe its overlooked as it is more expensive than most people want to pay. But you pay for the performance. I used it in minus 20C and + 45C. And winds you'd never want to be camping in. Its in my garage loft. Will never get rid of it.
This has turned into a great Terra Nova Voyager tent review :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: G&T

Back
Top Bottom