Dorset and Devon dogs on beaches?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi south westerners!

Just contemplating a week in Dorset or south Devon in the summer. We'd be taking the mutt, but I am aware that there are restrictions on certain beaches (rightly so) re dogs.

So... are there universal rules, or are all beaches subject to their own rules? Are they season-dependent? Time of day-dependent?

I am new to this so please assume I know nothing at all.

Skippy's yer man Paul :thumby:
?
images

Seem to recall Weymouth had a doggy area, but only during the summer season. Out of season anywhere was acceptable.

West bay has a doggy beach up from helmet city. During the summer i think they are restricted to the doggy beach only.

Most beaches have an 'all year' area, for instance Widemouth Bay (Bude) has Black Rock which is accessible all year. Restrictions start at Easter until October in general but there might be local variations.

I googled dogs on beaches Devon...probably mostly the same all over,
I am in East Devon.

Swanage and West Bay are very limited for dogs on beaches.
Further east is better. Bournemouth has has quite decent areas where dogs are allowed year round. Hengistbury Head is good.

West bay has a doggy beach up from helmet city. During the summer i think they are restricted to the doggy beach only.
But the doggy beach isn't a beach when the tide is in. East beach under the eroding cliff is dog friendly all year too, but again only when the tide is out. There are no dog friendly beaches in West Bay when the tide is in. This applies from 1st May to 30th September. Each area seems to have its own rules. There are fields only a minute from West Bay harbour where dogs can run off lead all year round. The harbour is very dog friendly as are the pubs.

All different in my experience. For example North Sands, no restrictions. South Sands, no dogs June to September. Former tide comes all the way in. Latter it doesn't. Reason for dog restrictions obvious....

Exmouth has a dog area at each end of the beach, it’s well signed, restrictions start in early may I think -end of Sept.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom