Electric Heated suit

Jayjayuno

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a heated under-suit?
I want to be able to control the heat from the dash by a thermostat and will connect straight to the battery via an Optimate lead.
Does one require long John's as a liner? It would be better to be able to wear it next to the skin especially on the legs.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Check out the camping section, lots of winter clothing referenced in there

Warmnsafe , & Gerbing spring to mind

Warm and Safe heated base layers could be your answer.

Gerbing recommend you wear something between your skin and liner to stop burns. I'm really happy with my Gerbing jacket other than I need a size smaller after losing weight.

I like the idea of the heated base layer but what happens if it fails while you are miles from home?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Gerbing recommend you wear something between your skin and liner to stop burns. I'm really happy with my Gerbing jacket other than I need a size smaller after losing weight.

I like the idea of the heated base layer but what happens if it fails while you are miles from home?

You have other layers on as well as the base layer...

I use a Gerbing jacket so base layer and t-shirt.

A mate has the warm and safe base later, he wears just that and his bike jacket.

My best piece of kit is my Keiss heated leggings. I have all the other heated stuff which is great, but on a bike, if the blood in your feet/legs is warmed, it transfers a lot better into your torso, rather than the other way round. On a longer ride, say into Europe in winter, I have a wool/cashmere sweater under my outer layer which prevents condensation caused by Goretex, with a Rab thermal against my skin.
Nothing worse on a bike for me than cold lower body.

Do your Keis leggings have a fly opening? I have a "complete" Macna outfit (jacket, gloves, leggings and socks) all controlled from my phone via bluetooth. But being of a certain age I need to stop fairly frequently and not having any opening in the leggings does make for a certain lack of convenience.....

I have long been a big fan of electric clothing, buying mine originally from the new defunct Widder and Rapid Fire / Powerlet bods in America.

Whilst my Raid Fire electric kit (jacket liner, gloves liners, long johns and socks) are all going fine, if I had to replace any item, I’d look at Warm’n’Safe and / or any of the UK equivalents. Why would look at several? The usual reasons….

a. To make sure I (as opposed to someone else) liked it.

b. To make sure it fitted me, not someone else.

I’d also make sure that the four items were each individually regulated, via an easy to use, bike powered remote (leadless) heat controller. I have two remote, dual, heat controllers. One dual controller regulates my jacket liner and gloves’ liners (each separately) the other my long johns and socks, again each separately. Each controller is bike powered. On my 1600, I stack them, with Velcro, on the clutch reservoir. On my Himalayan, I use the front brake reservoir.

Last edited:
Do your Keis leggings have a fly opening? I have a "complete" Macna outfit (jacket, gloves, leggings and socks) all controlled from my phone via bluetooth. But being of a certain age I need to stop fairly frequently and not having any opening in the leggings does make for a certain lack of convenience.....
Yes, they have a zip fly so no danger of pissy pants.

Warm’n’safe fails to a default 50% heat setting if the controller fails, which I would think is the only thing that would. To switch off on that case unplug it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If something as simple as the fuse blows (and you haven’t got a spare) or the lead breaks, then you are going to get chilly, obviously. The gear though is pretty simple and pretty much reliable, so total failures are probably rare. Some will default to a reduced heat, if the controller fails.

Putting aside probably needless concerns over reliability, the garment will (if nothing else) act as an additional layer. As we all know, layering is one of the fundamentals of motorcycling. If you are really worried, put some additional spare layers into those humungous panniers.

:beerjug:

PS As with anything, looking after the clothing and its peripherals helps greatly.

Might be useful to remember that for the e.g. Keis and Macna bluetooth controllers you will need e.g. a phone to do the bluetoothing whereas e.g. the Warm & Safe controller is an independent unit. The latter also works with other gear e.g. the BMW heated vest, but it's not cheap.

If your Keis gloves have built-in controllers, as mine do, then you'd be running two controllers in "series", so I'm not surprised that it didn't work. The Keis jacket controller in not in the circuit which outputs to the sleeve connections for the gloves, for example.

If your Keis gloves have built-in controllers, as mine do, then you'd be running two controllers in "series", so I'm not surprised that it didn't work. The Keis jacket controller in not in the circuit which outputs to the sleeve connections for the gloves, for example.

Thank you. That’s obvious, now that I think about it.

I have had both warm n safe and garbing.
The latest garbing jacket and pants are much thicker than the older range, and imho the sizing comes up small, esp on the knees.
My current combo is Gerbing socks, but they are tight around the calf, warm n safe trousers a gerbing XL jacket and Keis textile gloves.
TBH the gloves are a pain as they are now independent controls and with the wire on the back of the gloves and this means the wire has to go around the seal of the glove and up the sleeve.

I put the warm n safe controller on the bars and can control top and bottom half

Back
Top Bottom