External power supply conundrum

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have 2 external power supplies into which a usb insert can be placed to charge phone etc.
1) goes to the canbus (front of bike) and this one is working as should. When a USB insert is put into it, it charges an item. All's good.
2) is under the seat and wired directly to the battery so that I can power items when camping. It will not charge the same item through the exact same usb insert. Measuring the voltage on the power supply (cigar female) shows 12.x volts. So you would think its the USB insert that is faulty, but the insert works on the canbus supply...

Why could this happen?

Prove the socket with something else. If socket ok then sounds like the USB thingy.

Measure the voltage on the good working one. Should they not be 5 volts? JJH

but they both measure over 12v at the same point. The USB works in one and not the other.. will try socket and report back

It's the USB insert that'll be dropping it down to 5v. Your power outlets should all read 12v.
Nowt to do with the canbus.
Don't just measure the voltage though. Plug something in that you know works, and prove the socket under load.

(Should have mentioned that the power light on usb insert was not lit under the seat. ) ok, so I plugged a phone in through a cigarette adapter and this works fine on both of the power supplies. Then just to be funny, I plugged the usb insert into both again, and again it charges the phone on both of them. And this time I get a red light on USB insert from under the seat power..) And it powers my device from the usb insert. Quirky I guess. So seems fixed now. Thanks all.

As an aside (and not through USB insert)..I do remember over the weekend that I ran the adventure warehouse portable pump under no load from the canbus plug, and it worked as should (switched off when canbus went off). Then when I actually needed to use the pump to inflate my tyre, I used the underseat power source and it would only power the pump for 3 seconds then cut off. Again and again until we plugged one direct to battery.

Pump on no load pulls less than the canbus controlled current limit.
On load, the current exceeded the limit, and 'tripped' the canbus controlled socket after 3 seconds.
Think of it as an auto-resetting fuse.
Of course, socket direct from battery is unaffected by current limits (until you pop the fuse).

Ok, but it only ran under load for 3 seconds when using the underseat (direct to battery) one. I didn't even bother with the canbus one...until we plugged it straight to battery by passing the under seat cabled power to battery. I guess I'll just use the next pump with croc clips direct to battery rather then. Cheers

Ok, but it only ran under load for 3 seconds when using the underseat (direct to battery) one. I didn't even bother with the canbus one...until we plugged it straight to battery by passing the under seat cabled power to battery. I guess I'll just use the next pump with croc clips direct to battery rather then. Cheers

Oh I see. Perhaps some kind of self resetting thermal fuse in the socket ?

extra 12v outlets

Have recently added another 12v Din socket to my bike, you have to remove some of the trim to access the area, but there is a nice little cutout in the wind deflectors to fit them in ( see picture ) run the wire down the frame to battery and put an inline fuse in connection. I have now run one of the sockets into my handle bar bag with a twin USB connector on end for phone etc charging.

Attachments

• 12V din .jpg
    12V din .jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 12v din on bike.jpg
    12v din on bike.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 242
All "Cigar" sockets are not the same

I have a twin USB adapter.
It works perfectly on the socket I fitted to my motorcycle.
It does not work when plugged into my Wife's Citroen or my Smart car.
However, If I drop a 2 cent coin into the socket of either car before
plugging in USB adapter it works perfectly.
"Why a 2 cent coin?"
I had one on the dash, and I wished to use my phone as a satnav in the car, and the battery was flat in it. I was desperate. Can't get it out again now, but don't care.
Myke

It sounds like your under seat socket has either:

A faulty connection at either where the wires connect to the socket or the battery

or

Dirty contacts in the socket.

Either of these would cause the socket to work intermittently under load.

Bob

USB charger

Yup got the USB charger in H/bar bag.

Attachments

• USB charger in H:bar bag.jpg
    USB charger in H:bar bag.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Second 12v socket.jpg
    Second 12v socket.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 175

Back
Top Bottom