F800 or R1200 what GS?

Ormington

Reaction score
I’ve wanted an F800 since they first appeared. Over the years they’ve always been just out of budget. Then I heard the stories of the R1150s being better for COG.. now prices are affordable for the 1200s and found myself looking at these.

Now I don’t know what I want.

I don’t/won’t do much off road, if so, light trails.

I’ve had it with naked bikes, I ride through winter and need weather protection so good coverage is important.

I want to peel off some big trips, but also want to buzz around town.

I like the shaft drive off the 1200 but the cam thing scares me, knowing I could be looking at the wrong end of a £3k bill at any point.

I like the look of both bikes, but what do you think? Is the 800 lighter, more manageable around town, does it give as good motorway manners as the 1200?

Is the 1200 a beast to get in and out of multi stories and my garage?

I have about 5-7k so I’m probably in the frame for either.

Thanks for your help, and hello!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are so many variables that most of your questions can't be answered without further questions.
A 1200GS is 30kg heavier than the 800. (c240kg v 210kg) Are you 6ft 4 and 18st of pure muscle or 5ft 8 and 12 stm of normal bloke? Is your garage normally na issue to get a bike in and out of?
I'd go and ride both...but bear in mind there are several variants of the 1200GS...first out in 2004 and superseded by the 1250 in about 2018.

£6.5k will get you a very good 800 (GSA) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...age=1&postcode=BD22 9QL&price-to=7000&fromsra

A newer 850GS

or a decent 1200 LC

Or a superb, last of the old oilcooled 'hexheads'

Yeah, I’m 5’9” and in my 50s, but reasonably fit.

While the weight numbers are there to see, the experience of moving that weight around, what I understand, is a lot different as the boxer engine sits low, is this offset with the low slung fuel tank of the 800… just looking for others opinions first off that have had real world experience of the two.

Thanks for the links!

Last edited:
As Dave said, but I’d also add, if you go for a 1200, go the last of the Pre LC

As Dave said, but I’d also add, if you go for a 1200, go the last of the Pre LC

The pre-13 plate? Is that because of the cam issues?

I kinda prefer the looks if the LCs though.

The pre-13 plate? Is that because of the cam issues?

I kinda prefer the looks if the LCs though.

The 13 plate onwards LC was a totally new bike. It had teething issues (on a 13, 14, 15 plate bike still running...most issues are likely sorted by now), the 2012 GS and 2013 GSA were the very last of a 8 or 9 yr run of the 1200 oil cooled with biannual updates or technical updates. It was as good as it got for that model.
Go try them and see which you like, you'll likely get loads of folk on here telling you to get the last of the line 2012 1200, some saying get a well sorted 1200LC, some saying avoid it like the plague....some going for the 800....are you going to go with the majority or which you find rides/suits you best ?
(If you've never ridden a telelever BMW, you need a decent test ride, not 10 minutes round the block)

Sounds like you need to test ride both and see what suits you best, thd dealers will have used ones you can try. I've not ridden the 800 but have had 2 1200s and the low COG makes it easy to handle at low speeds. Which ever you decide on check out the spec of the bike concerned as each one will differ depending on what the original owner specified on their order. E.G. the earlier models didn't have a QS as standard, some will be
keyless, some have the SOS button. Before mid 2017 the dash will be analogue, after then the TFT was optional for a while. The update in IIRC 2017 included the change from the gen 1 ESA which had 3 selectable modes for the suspension of soft, road and dynamic with preload 1 helmet, 1 plus luggage and 2 helmets to just road and dynamic with the preload being automatic. The gearbox was updated too to make it smoother (for a boxer). I actually preferred my 2016 bike to the 2018 I replaced it with. HTH Good luck

Edit: both bikes can come with factory lowered suspension and different seats (I'm 5'7" so had factory lowered with the low seat) too though at 5'9" the standard height versions will probably suit you unless your legs are shortervor linger than usual for your height

Last edited:
I owned a R1200gs of 05 vintage. A really great bike, it did have a few problems but BMW certainly looked after me with these small problems. I would definitely have one again.
I rented and used a F850gs for a week around sardinia and whilst it was a very efficient bike it was just that really, a very efficient bike.
I traded my Super 10 20 months ago for a lighter bike and bought a Triumph tiger 900 Rally Pro. Whilst similar in mamy ways to the F850gs it is for me more fun to ride. I’ve only done around 13000 miles in the 20 months I’ve had it but I’m glad I made this choice. Not very helpful I know re the 800-1200 question but it’s another option for you.

Last edited:
I have just bought a 2014 GS LC for £5250 (bargain so shop about) . I was worried about moving it about into my garden, through narrow gate etc. It was bad enough with my tiger 800 which is significantly lighter. However, I was really surprised as it is significantly easier to move about than the tiger. Must be the way it carries its weight so low down.

I the past I've had a f800gsa, r1200r 09 and 10 RT. I found the f800gsa very uninspiring to ride, if I was choosing an 800 I'd go for a triumph tiger as the engine is much better imo. Out of the 1200s my 2014 knocks the hexhead and twincam engines out the water.

Maybe try test ride a few if possible?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

There is no, ready made, off the shelf answer, not least as nobody here is YOU.

Give up reading stuff about centres of gravity and why Fred Bloggs thinks that his 1150 is the best bike ever made, but his mate swears blind that honour belongs to the 1250 water cooled awesome steed but only if it’s been to Hilltop to release the beast within.

Ride each of them and decide for yourself. Like underpants and shirts, you’ll find out which one suits you best.

I owned a R1200gs of 05 vintage. A really great bike, it did have a few problems but BMW certainly looked after me these small problems. I would definitely have one again.
I rented and used a F850gs for a week around sardinia and whilst it was a very efficient bike it was just that really, a very efficient bike.
I traded my Super 10 20 months ago for a lighter bike and bought a Triumph tiger 900 Rally Pro. Whilst similar in mamy ways to the F850gs it is for me more fun to ride. I’ve only done around 13000 miles in the 20 months I’ve had it but I’m glad I made this choice. Not very helpful I know re the 800-1200 question but it’s another option for you.

The 900 gtpro has passed through my radar, I don’t think it’s within budget though - I think we’re looking at around the 8.5k and upwards…. May have another gander and see if there’s anything cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have just bought a 2014 GS LC for £5250 (bargain so shop about) . I was worried about moving it about into my garden, through narrow gate etc. It was bad enough with my tiger 800 which is significantly lighter. However, I was really surprised as it is significantly easier to move about than the tiger. Must be the way it carries its weight so low down.

I the past I've had a f800gsa, r1200r 09 and 10 RT. I found the f800gsa very uninspiring to ride, if I was choosing an 800 I'd go for a triumph tiger as the engine is much better imo. Out of the 1200s my 2014 knocks the hexhead and twincam engines out the water.

Would you choose a tiger 800 over the F800 then?

The answer is in the post you quoted.

Leaving that aside, he could just as easily have said any other bike of or around the 800 cc mark. What would you have done then? Gone off to buy a Suzuki or Yamaha, I guess.

The answer is in the post you quoted.

Leaving that aside, he could just as easily have said any other bike of or around the 800 cc mark. What would you have done then? Gone off to buy a Suzuki or Yamaha, I guess.

No, just gives me options based on other”s real world experiences. Otherwise I’ll be test riding everything from scooters to Gold Wings!

Definitely. I'd argue the tiger 800 is pretty much superior in every way other than brakes perhaps. Engine much more lively and characterful, better build quality, looks better imo. The f800gsa was a great tool but it didn't grab me like the triumph triple engine did.

Choose my R1200GS LC over them both though.

No, just gives me options based on other”s real world experiences. Otherwise I’ll be test riding everything from scooters to Gold Wings!

at least that would give you the opportunity to procrastinate for longer...

I sold my 1200 and bought an 800, I wanted something a little lighter and it is. I find the 800 easier to move around but for 2 up touring the 1200 is better. Both are very good for solo touring and the worse the roads, the more I prefer the 800.
Saying that I'll probably sell the 800 in the near future, it's just time for a change

Last edited:

If people are happy to spend some time typing out replies, at least read all of what they write.
As most have said, getting some test rides in is key...only you will know what feels just right. A great time to buy though, depths of winter in a bit of slump. You'll get a bargain (If you subscribe to this forum, you'll get access to the For Sale and wanted posts...often some great buys on there.)

I had an 850 GSA. I liked the engine, in its F800R version, but the 850 (though very capable) was just that…. Very capable but somewhat dull, just ‘too good’. Many here will not even consider the bike, as it has a chain, which rules them out of the ‘hands on’ debate. Likewise many will not have had any ‘hands on’ experience of any BMW bike, prior to the 1200.

What bike did I find more interesting than the 850? My lowly Himalayan, with its 25 bhp. Put that on your list or wait for its water cooled sister.

My friend swears by his Yamaha, whatever number, I think it’s a 900. Another likes his Versys / Triumph and racks up 1,000’s of miles. In other words, do what you don’t want to do….. and test ride a lot. The dealerships are quiet at the moment, they’ll even give you a coffee and maybe a biscuit.

PS Buy a secondhand 1600…. It is a fantastic motorcycle. I own one and have done since the bike was first launched in 2011, I think it was.

PPS I have test ridden all the GS / GSA water cooled versions. They are all horrible engines. Though I did own and like the original 1200’s and owned both a GS and then a GSA, racking up the miles beyond Tesco.

Last edited:
I have owned an r1150gs, r1200gsa hexhead, two r1200gsa lc's and an r1250gsa . I always wanted an f800gs/gsa and succumbed in 2020 buying a 2017 model f800gsa te from a main dealer and it had a major issue but was repaired , however , once I started using it I found it utterly boring and got rid after less than 12 months , at the same time my brother in law has a 2019 model f850gs which was even worse .

I kept my 2018 model r1200gsa and binned the F800 for a 2018 KTM 1090 Adventure S which I still own , personally I would buy a 2011 onwards pre LC model r1200gs/gsa tc as they are a better bike

Back
Top Bottom