Fork swap

Your local machine shop will have no problem in boring your yokes to suit your stanchions.
These are a set of one off yokes that I machined from billets for Mikeyboy #36 https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/572227-New-year-new-project/page3

Ta, Have been in touch with my local metal working guy. He's going to have a look at reaming the K75 yokes. we're noly talking about 1.25mm if that. The K100 yokes have been spread and forced over the stantions I reccon. Hence the damage to the slots and the top yoke. I thought about doing similar with the 75s, by grinding chamfurs onto the edges, but decided to talk to someone with more knowlage than me.

Not much progress in the last two days, other things around the place getting priority. Have had a couple of boxes of parts arrive, speedo cable, petrol pipe and a few other bits. Petrol pipe now fitted. That was fun getting the pipe through under the airbox. A bit fiddely getting the front bolts undone without removing the contents. I managed to get e little movement in the box. Then a long thin srewdriver (my only snapon tool) was pushed through and the pipe threaded onto it and a little riggeling got the pipe through.

Val.

Ta, Have been in touch with my local metal working guy. He's going to have a look at reaming the K75 yokes. we're noly talking about 1.25mm if that. The K100 yokes have been spread and forced over the stantions I reccon. Hence the damage to the slots and the top yoke. I thought about doing similar with the 75s, by grinding chamfurs onto the edges, but decided to talk to someone with more knowlage than me.

Not much progress in the last two days, other things around the place getting priority. Have had a couple of boxes of parts arrive, speedo cable, petrol pipe and a few other bits. Petrol pipe now fitted. That was fun getting the pipe through under the airbox. A bit fiddely getting the front bolts undone without removing the contents. I managed to get e little movement in the box. Then a long thin srewdriver (my only snapon tool) was pushed through and the pipe threaded onto it and a little riggeling got the pipe through.

Val.

He will have no problem if he sets the yokes up on the mill and takes them out to size with a boring head.

After nearly two weeks, I finaly have the forks and yokes back from the engineers. The first guys I took them to got nowhere. Far too busy wheren't likely to get to them in the next few weeks either. Engineer two, a much better choise. This guy had them for three days, managed to do the brake calliper alright. But discovered that the yokes have been in an impact. Not a big one, but enough to push them out of line and make them suitible only for the scrap bin. Serve me right for not checking them over propperly 5 or 6 years ago when I bought them.

So back to the yokes that came with the forks. They don't look so nice, but are at least straight, and I will need to beable to mover the rig soon because I'll be needing the garage space. Fitted the new leading links this afternoon, whent on easely enough. Just need to make a new piece to hold the speedo head.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_170712246.jpg
    IMG_20220405_170712246.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 163
Funny how a reletively simple change of forks turns into a month or more of doing other bits and pieces.

So, the forks are now fitted, four pot callipers now fitted, new speedo mounting bracket made and fitted. New brake lines delivered, not fitted yet. Hopfully tomorrow.

The last few days, I've mostly been touching up paintwork, making the bike a little easier on the eye. Today I decided to fit the new brake lines. I've been thinking about upgrading the brake master cylinder, but Motorworks don't have or even list the larger 16mm mc for the Monos. But they do list a 16mm repair kit, so me beeing me thought'I wonder if the 14mm mc can be enlarged to take the 16mm piston. Well after removing and stripping the mc, it is apparent that this probavly can't be done and still work as it did in 14mm guise. Although the wall thickness is enough, one of the two holes in the mc for the fluid to move into the piston housing, would be opened out too much. It's a 2ish mm hole drilled 3/4 through the mc with what look to be a 0.5mm hole going right through and this would be made too big. So a replacement is the way to go. If anyone has a 16mm mc for a mono you want to part with, or has knowlage of weather the older mc's fit, please let me know.

Anyway, the mc is now nice and clean and back on the bike. I'll use it untill I find the bigger one. Working on the idea that the R100 mono uses the same mc for twin discs I'll make use of it, knowing that with the four pot calipers I'll get a spongy feel, I'll be giving the rig a good test ride round the campsite before taking it out on the road. If it's not up to the jof I'll delete on of the calipers and just use one for now. It'll still be a significant improvement on the single brembo originaly fitted.

Refitting the headlight into the housing proved supprisingly difficult. I'm sure I've ended up fitting the clip upside down. It was the only way I could get it to fix the light in place. Does anyone know the trick?

What's next? Two choises at this point. Either I turn the whole rig round and continue with the repainting, or I take it for MOT and use it. Ultimately I want to pull the tub off and replace it with something a little more off road orientated. This will involve a fair bit of metal fabrication to strengthen the chassis and the skeleton of the new tub. Hmm desissions........

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_170657224_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20220409_170657224_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20220410_174418042.jpg
    IMG_20220410_174418042.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 136
All sorted now. Err, Well sort of. it won't start now. Ho Hum.......

Things where going well today. Fitted the new brake lines and bled the brakes through, all seems well, pending the shake down ride round the campsite. flicked the ignition on, remembered to turn on the petrol even. Pressed the starter and it fired up straight away.... But the starter motor didn't disengauge for a second or two. Then the neutral light went out and it stopped. Hmm?! switched off and on lights ame on pressed the button, it fired up, then lights out and stopped. Did this a few more times then I gave up for the day.

Any ideas?

I'm going to pull the starter motor off tomorrow, assuming I can get to the bolts. Seem to remember it can be a bit fiddely. Thinking about fuses too, but can't say I've found the fues box.???

Val.

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_172428794.jpg
    IMG_20220411_172428794.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20220411_172412702_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220411_172412702_HDR.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 115
Where were we?

Oh yes, I managed to roast a wire to the kill switch. Didn't take long to work it out..... Only a week or so, but got there in the end, with quite a few very helpful pointers from some of you guys. My hat's off to you.

In some of the lulls between going through the wiring loom and thinking time, I pulled the bike out of the garage, removed the tub and the sidecar wheel, shock and swingarm. Do you ever wonder where all the paint went? Getting the swingarm bearing proved a little tricky. I started with a drift to knock out the bearings as one would expect, but try as I might I couldn't push the central spacer out of the way to get a good purchase on the outer bearing ring. After a failed attempt to destroy the bearings. I gave up and looked around for some thing that might do the job. I don't have a puller that fits, so having removed the circlip, I cobbled together a long bolt and a puller, shoved it in and started winding the nut. It was very tight, but it was moving. Eventually the first on came out, but of course the other bearing is now half way though. So, keep going. The bearing did eventfully come out. Along with a second circlip. I had not idea that there was a circlip on both sides of inner bearing. Fortunately the second circlip didn't cause any serious damage.

New bearings on order. In the meantime, the chassis needs some serious attention from the wire wheel and emery cloth to get rid of the flaking paint, what's left of it that is, and surface rust. After that a coat of kurust followed by a nice thick coat of hammarite smooth, otherwise know as brush marks are us.

Right now I'm waiting for bits and pieces, like nuts and bolts, circlips and a used 16mm master cylinder. I also managed to snag a matching pair of brake discs for a very good price too. Next thing is to take some measurements for steel to build the new tub space frame style. Not something I've ever done before and It'll certainly test my welding skill, more to the point lack of skills.

Val.

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_135318612_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220414_135318612_HDR.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220415_124942187_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220415_124942187_HDR.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20220415_151921923_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220415_151921923_HDR.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220416_192007042.jpg