Free Replacement Drive Shaft at 37,500 Miles by BMW!

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
According to 'Just the Way It Is' BMW are going to replace many 1200 and all 1250 driveshafts at 60,000KM (37,500 Miles)

If it true (and it seems to be from a creatable source) BMW have finally admitted to the problem. With this in mind I think it will be difficult to refuse to replace any failed drive shaft in the future even if the bike is out of warranty/under 35,500 miles

Mike

It is true.
I went to do a recall for driveshaft drain plug and mechanic at the dealer told me he'd first test the driveshaft (bike had less the 10000 miles) and if it fails it would be replaced. For bikes over 37500 miles, he said, no test is performed and the driveshaft is replaced automatically.
And it was some time ago.

Just seen this is a duplicated thread.

Now closed

BmWobbleU can afford those gestures AFTER banking your hard earned 20K+ payment... :augie

Just say'ing

Had mine done last year. 2013 plate 1200GS with 48000 miles. New shaft thrown in and hole drilled in shaft case. Didn't bother testing old one; just straight free swap.

Had mine done last year. 2013 plate 1200GS with 48000 miles. New shaft thrown in and hole drilled in shaft case. Didn't bother testing old one; just straight free swap.
So did I, but as discussed earlier in the thread, this is different. This in addition to the recall work where the hole was drilled.

I wonder if this latest service bulletin has come about as a result of findings of the previous campaign.

To add to this, last weekend I took my new (to me) 2019 1250 GSA out for it's initial run.

After 30 or so miles the shaft went and locked the rear wheel, thankfully it kept partially rotating and I managed to bring to bike to an upright stop.

I had the bike recovered to my house (it was a Sunday), where I then disassembled the back end to comfirm the worst - not only had the driveshaft failed, but it was the universal joint at the transmission end. In the few seconds it took me to stop from 60mph the shaft had been banging around in the swingarm to the point where I could no longer rotate the rear wheel for manouvering purposes, hence the removal.

By the looks of it, the top UJ had deceded to rip itself apart, and together with it (and bike in rented van) visited my local dealership for investigation work, pictures were taken and a report sent to Germany.

A couple of days later I had another call from the dealership to say that BMW had decided to not only replace the shaft, but also the whole swingarm assembly - I guess in part due to the superficial damage caused to it when decelerating to a stop.

This is my first BMW, the bike had done approximately 32K miles prior to my ownership in November 2023. I was aware of the shaft recall at 37K miles. The dealership told me they'd not seen one go like this before. According to the service history another BMW dealership had removed the shaft and load tested it in February 2023 and found it to be ok.

When the bike is returned I'm going to be super vigilent on the condition of the driveshaft, I certainly don't ever want to experience anything quite like that again. I'm just lucky I managed to get away unscathed..

For my 2 pence worth, I'd advise anyone with a relatively high miler to ignore the dealership shaft service tick box in the history, and actually check/service it themselves..

IMG_5323.jpegIMG_5315.jpeg

Now that's a sobering sight, also worrying that a dealer specifically testing the assembly could find no issue with it in Feb, I presume of this year.

Your a lucky lad to pull it up and stop in one piece.

Possibly a manufacturing defect as opposed to poor maintenance, but a shaft removal to grease the splines and general inspection, would Id hope have brought its condition to light before total destruction.

It also shows the importance of removing the shaft from the gearbox side to inspect and grease the inner joint as opposed to just doing the bevel gearbox side.

No amount of maintenance would prevent that UJ failure, the bearings are sealed units and non-servicable. It can only be down to piss poor quality.
I had a CX500 until recently with 180,000 miles on it - with the original shaft. It’s unbelievable that a shaft should become a service replacement part , they should last the lifetime of the bike. What next, crankshaft changes, new pistons?
Tragic.

That looks like a stress crack to me, that's not just got there as a result of the failure. Indeed, you are a very lucky fella. Get out there and put the lottery on. :DD

IMG_5323.jpeg

To add to this, last weekend I took my new (to me) 2019 1250 GSA out for it's initial run.

After 30 or so miles the shaft went and locked the rear wheel, thankfully it kept partially rotating and I managed to bring to bike to an upright stop.

I had the bike recovered to my house (it was a Sunday), where I then disassembled the back end to comfirm the worst - not only had the driveshaft failed, but it was the universal joint at the transmission end. In the few seconds it took me to stop from 60mph the shaft had been banging around in the swingarm to the point where I could no longer rotate the rear wheel for manouvering purposes, hence the removal.

By the looks of it, the top UJ had deceded to rip itself apart, and together with it (and bike in rented van) visited my local dealership for investigation work, pictures were taken and a report sent to Germany.

A couple of days later I had another call from the dealership to say that BMW had decided to not only replace the shaft, but also the whole swingarm assembly - I guess in part due to the superficial damage caused to it when decelerating to a stop.

This is my first BMW, the bike had done approximately 32K miles prior to my ownership in November 2023. I was aware of the shaft recall at 37K miles. The dealership told me they'd not seen one go like this before. According to the service history another BMW dealership had removed the shaft and load tested it in February 2023 and found it to be ok.

When the bike is returned I'm going to be super vigilent on the condition of the driveshaft, I certainly don't ever want to experience anything quite like that again. I'm just lucky I managed to get away unscathed..

For my 2 pence worth, I'd advise anyone with a relatively high miler to ignore the dealership shaft service tick box in the history, and actually check/service it themselves..

View attachment 310406View attachment 310407
I also have a 2019 GSA that I bought second hand from BMW, mine only had 3500 on the clock though

however they told me they had replaced the drive shaft (they had also done the hole mod)

I wonder why they decided against changing it for you then.....(My dealer is Alton)

I also have a 2019 GSA that I bought second hand from BMW, mine only had 3500 on the clock though

however they told me they had replaced the drive shaft (they had also done the hole mod)

I wonder why they decided against changing it for you then.....(My dealer is Alton)

Without naming names, it was the same dealership.. the bike had been checked by them under the previous owner and had covered something like 4k miles subsequently to me owning it. I also noticed that upon disassembly the splines at the hub end were very dry without much obvious sign of past lubrication.. unless this was flung to the inside of the swingarm casing in the miles since… I’d still expect obvious traces to be on the mating faces..

Without naming names, it was the same dealership.. the bike had been checked by them under the previous owner and had covered something like 4k miles subsequently to me owning it. I also noticed that upon disassembly the splines at the hub end were very dry without much obvious sign of past lubrication.. unless this was flung to the inside of the swingarm casing in the miles since… I’d still expect obvious traces to be on the mating faces..
mmm very strange

I do hope you are compensated because its just weird they did mine (well assured me they did and that was confirmed by the service guy when I had it serviced) yet I bought mine Nov 22

Mine is due to go in for a big service next month (as I am off on a long trip) and I was again make it clear I want that drive shaft inspected

As previously stated, no amount of maintenance would prevent the U-joint bearings letting go, which is correct ,but what it would do is alert the owner/mechanic to its condition possibly feeling rough or indicating all was not well with the joint, prior to letting go...

Yes indeed buy a lottery ticket

Had mine done at Williams in Manchester, picked it up today... timed it beautifully as my UJ was on its way out :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom