Garmin Zumo XT or XT2?

Ex-Call Centre Chimp

I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife's friend would like to buy her husband a Zumo for his new to him F800.
He's off to Portugal for a trip around The Picos in the summer with some chums but does occasionally do a little bit of green laning in the UK.
She's asked me which is the better option of the 2 Zumos but as I have no knowledge of either (I have a Nav V) I thought I'd ask on here for any opinions please.
As ever TY in advance Comrades.👍

I’d go for version 1 but only because it retains the ability to receive / send routes via Bluetooth. This ability is apparently lost on version 2, which uses a Garmin based app. If though this is not a problem, toss a coin; either will do.

My wife's friend would like to buy her husband a Zumo for his new to him F800.
He's off to Portugal for a trip around The Picos in the summer with some chums but does occasionally do a little bit of green laning in the UK.
She's asked me which is the better option of the 2 Zumos but as I have no knowledge of either (I have a Nav V) I thought I'd ask on here for any opinions please.
As ever TY in advance Comrades.👍
I have had my Zumo XT for about 3 years now & it has been faultless. (not the new XT2) From what I have read the XT2 is still a bit buggy. I see that you mention green laning, neither of the XT models will run Ordnance Survey maps, which are easily the best off road. The standard XT mount is a little flimsy / light weight, I would definatley run a tether to the rear of the unit for peace of mind. I have kept my old Montana 600 unit for off road duty, as it is a much more rugged unit & will run Ordnance Survey maps.

I’d go for version 1 but only because it retains the ability to receive / send routes via Bluetooth. This ability is apparently lost on version 2, which uses a Garmin based app. If though this is not a problem, toss a coin; either will do.
Did not know about lack of BT on XT2, good to know. But as long term owner of XT, I am very pleased with it. Never gave me any problems, and I love wireless software updates, without a need to plug it into a PC. Route .gpx files (stored in the cloud) are easily loaded onto it, using nothing more than an iPad or iPhone. What not to like. Certainly does more than I can get use out of it.

An XT and subscription to Myroute app then he’d be set for on the fly route planning. It is effectively the smartphone integration for the XT that Garmin appear to be making a mess of for the XT 2 with the tread app and explore.

An XT and subscription to Myroute app then he’d be set for on the fly route planning. It is effectively the smartphone integration for the XT that Garmin appear to be making a mess of for the XT 2 with the tread app and explore.

Why the need for the XT ? Sold mine and just use phone with MyRoute app .

I've watched many of his great KTM Super Adventure 'how to' vids, a great guy :thumb2
Likewise. Shame I do not have much spare time to tinker with my own bike, as there is allot helpful info coming from Mario. Instead I pay good money to somebody else, who sometimes does give a toss, and sometimes does not.

I concur with the above as well. Have to disagree on the mount. Served me well despite its appearance.

I am more than happy with the mount. I just use it as it is, with none of the ‘must have’ security bling, though I do keep a strong eye on the butter.

I’m more of an olive oil man, but seems to do the trick in the same way.

Good review. Funny he didn't seem to be aware of the ability of the XT to receive GPX files directly from your phone/iPad using the Drive App.

Back
Top Bottom