Garmin Zumo XT or XT2?

You're right. I always set off with the best of intentions but tend to find stuff along the way that I wasn't aware of that piques my interest and turns a steady 6 hour day into a steady 9 - 10 hour day.

yes, this happens occasionally. That's when I bin the carefully curated route at 3pm and press the get me there ASAP button.

This is how I tend do do stuff on the Nav V but as I usually travel alone it can be well past 9PM before I've finished riding, checked in then eaten. By the time I've unpacked, unwound and checked in at home it can be turned 10 o'clock and I quite often can't be bothered figuring out tomorrow's route at that point which means beggaring about the following morning after breakfast which then means a late start and inevitably another late finish and so it goes on.
This is why I'd like to be able to use something that will allow me to plan my routes and load them onto the Nav V well before I go away.
Now I'm retired and have more time I might I'll just go down the path I already use but try to roughly plan each day before I set off on the trip.
But I really would like to get to grips with Basecamp or an equivalent.
There are loads of resources to get to grips with Basecamp on Youtube. It is a cracking piece of software but with a bit of a learning curve. Try "EZ Moto Tim" The only disadvantage of Basecamp is that if you want to alter your routes on the fly so to speak you have to cart a device that can run Basecamp with you......usually a laptop or surface pro or anything that can run Windows. I started using Myroute App last summer and was impressed enough to buy a lifetime subscription. Its much easier to navigate than Basecamp. Its perfect for on the fly changes on tour as its Browser based so anywhere you have a phone connection or Wifi you can access your routes or create a new one. On a tour of Northern Spain in September I took an Ipad my phone and Michelin maps of Asturias and Cantabria. I used the Ipad to plan Routes for a couple of the days but found I could manage with the maps and my phone. Using a Garmin XT you can upload your routes wirelessly using Garmin Drive on your Phone. With the old devices you can upload them by connecting your phone to the GPS unit using a lead. Theres a "How To" description on these pages somewhere.

This is how I tend do do stuff on the Nav V but as I usually travel alone it can be well past 9PM before I've finished riding, checked in then eaten. By the time I've unpacked, unwound and checked in at home it can be turned 10 o'clock and I quite often can't be bothered figuring out tomorrow's route at that point which means beggaring about the following morning after breakfast which then means a late start and inevitably another late finish and so it goes on.
This is why I'd like to be able to use something that will allow me to plan my routes and load them onto the Nav V well before I go away.
Now I'm retired and have more time I might I'll just go down the path I already use but try to roughly plan each day before I set off on the trip.
But I really would like to get to grips with Basecamp or an equivalent.
MyRouteApp. Is in my opinion much easier to master compared to Basecamp. Providing you have a Garmin or TomTom device that is able to receive routes via Bluetooth, then you are set. I’ve mucked about with Basecamp, and found it cumbersome and it would make my computer run really hot, meaning listening to a fan going nuts. Ever since I’ve purchased Garmin XT (1st gen) I’ve not used Basecamp, in fact I got rid of it altogether.

You do not have to signup to FULL BLOWN MyRouteApp (MRA), just a lifetime subscription to route planner if you do not wish to use your phone as a satnav it self.

Failing all of the above, paper map is your best bet in that instance.

Whilst I have never found Garmin’s own MapSource and / or BaseCamp very hard, nor particularly monstrous, I do confess to now really liking the web based MyRoute system. OK it has some quirks and Garmin’s own software is better in some respects, but overall for ease of use away from home on say an iPad or phone, MyRoute is pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:
Update:
The gentleman in question was given his Gen. 1 XT on Saturday and is delighted with it.
He and his wife have asked me to pass on their thanks to you all for your help.

Next step:
Him not searching for The Picos in the Portugal map.:unsure:

We all love a happy ending.
On a slightly different note a Thai Massage Parlour has recently opened in our village. I told my neighbour it's called 'Happy Endings' which she thinks is a very sweet name and has told all of her friends and work colleagues.
Sorry Jesus. :blush

XT2, powered down for a coffee stop , loses the route . Annoying !
I am told that XT resumes

Edit and correction ; XT2 resumes the route if it powers itself down ( sensing power off ) and also if switched off at the rear . It loses route if forced to shut right down and I suppose that’s ok . Still learning to love XT2 and liking it more as I learn.
Rather liking Tread also and cannot understand why there is no desktop Tread app for use on a larger screen 🫣

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom