GPX - Foodie tour of Northern France

Every night ?
There's bound to be plenty on the menu to choose from, I've never had a bad meal yet although I've had to resort to a Pizza best described as 'average' when stuck in a cheap hotel out of town. Luckily the bar made up for it.

I have been up and down route day four (or some variation of it) more times than I can count.

Exactly! This is what I mean, if you have experience at a place that you like then its all subjective. My personal experience shows that if you use the Logis Guide and their colour coding then you normally can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.
As said, my preference is for the ´´blue code. Last summer we took in 8 of these on our tour round France and at only 1 were we disappointed. All were between 35 & 55 Euro for a 4-5 course menu. Wine was between 15 and 30 euros a bottle.
For the top class on the Logis site - the ´´Table Distingue´´ you can expect to be around another 20-30 per person. Example is this place which we are visiting in Summer - Hôtel Aux Maisons - The link opens on its restaurant page and the top menu was EURO 60 per person.
Or this place, also a higher graded ´´table distingue´´ - Hôtel le Cheval Blanc - also on our tour for this year. " Menus at between 38 & 42 Euro but then they have a special tasting menu at 85 Euro. For Pukmeister, probably not what you ae looking for....:ROFLMAO:
In the UK, you can pay well north of those prices for some pretty uninspiring meals out. Even more so for the wine which usually starts at around £22 - 25 for house wine. I'd say the Logis represents good value. The more so on a holiday when you may want to splash out a bit.

In the UK, you can pay well north of those prices for some pretty uninspiring meals out. Even more so for the wine which usually starts at around £22 - 25 for house wine. I'd say the Logis represents good value. The more so on a holiday when you may want to splash out a bit.

If you want to stay in what I’d describe as a mid range hotel and have a 3 course meal with no drinks in the UK I think you’ll struggle to keep the cost below £35 in cheaper locations. Put that hotel in a city centre or close to an airport and it goes up to £45 per person.

If you want to stay in what I’d describe as a mid range hotel and have a 3 course meal with no drinks in the UK I think you’ll struggle to keep the cost below £35 in cheaper locations. Put that hotel in a city centre or close to an airport and it goes up to £45 per person.
I have to agree. On our recent trip round France last year the menus were all around EURO 50, many under and a couple just over. For a 3 course menu and cheese..... For me perfectly acceptable but it was pointed out to me in a previous post that actually this was purely subjective and ''many might well blanche when presented with a EURO 44 menu bill for their evening scran''......
:beerjug:

I have to agree. On our recent trip round France last year the menus were all around EURO 50, many under and a couple just over. For a 3 course menu and cheese..... For me perfectly acceptable but it was pointed out to me in a previous post that actually this was purely subjective and ''many might well blanche when presented with a EURO 44 menu bill for their evening scran''......
:beerjug:

I always look at the hotel menu before clicking book now, partly because my wife is a fussy eater and partly because I want to know what my evening meal will be costing me.

Another area where we seem to get punished is the cost of a bang average breakfast compared to Europe where breakfast is included far more frequently than it is here.

Another area where we seem to get punished is the cost of a bang average breakfast compared to Europe where breakfast is included far more frequently than it is here.

I've been planning a trip down through Alsace and into the Bavarian Alps. An included breakfast is getting rarer and dearer in Europe. 15 euros is not uncommon in a French chain hotel like Ibis or Campanile. I've seen 35 euros in posher hotels like the one I used in Santander. I used a nearby café. Some hotels in Germany are charging now which was very rare in the past.

I've been planning a trip down through Alsace and into the Bavarian Alps. An included breakfast is getting rarer and dearer in Europe. 15 euros is not uncommon in a French chain hotel like Ibis or Campanile
have to agree with Wessie, even on our recent France tour in all but 1 place we had to cough up EURO 15 for a veeeeeery meager breakfast....bread, a bit of cheese, jam, coffee and orange juice. That's where they kind of fall down in my eyes.

I guess they have to cover those bikermates, who make themselves a round of rolls for their lunch?

apologies but i made some changes due to hotel avaialbility so this is the updated verison. The original routes have gone in the OP.
Hotels remain the same but the hotel on day 4 is now Hotel la Source Bleue

routes below - any small ´´blemishes´´ feel free to iron out but I think I removed all of them....

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Back
Top Bottom