Happiness is

Rainbow just taken a rather nice yellow 2009 Xcountry in if anyone is looking ;)

14,000 miles, none ABS. BMW rear rack and tail bag. Barkbuster hand guards and an Izotta (?) screen. Looks good

Ring Ian (Wilkie) at Rainbow if interested :thumb

:beerjug:

He was meant to call me when it arrived!:rolleyes: Is it the later one, made in China? The ones JB told me to avoid.:D

Yeah .... I understand the yellow ones are lowered a little. They also have steel rear sub frames with welded on pillion peg loops. Stronger if you want to fit panniers and RTW ;)

The 2007 black ones were assembled in the Aprilia Factory and have alloy rear sub frames with bolt on/off pillion pegs :thumb

They both have a rear shock with adjustment at the bottom to alter the ride height .... in addition to the preload.

Although the yellow ones were assembled in China I haven't seen any discernible difference in quality, the parts were only taken there to be assembled :D

A woman's bike? ... certainly could be :thumb
A beginners 'bike? ... certainly could be :thumb
No street cred? ... certainly could have :thumb
Good enough for Round The World? ... certainly is :thumb
An experienced motorcyclists machine? ... certainly is :thumb
Economical to run and look after? ... certainly is :thumb
Will it keep up in the twisties? ... certainly will :D

I think you'll find that the rider of a Xcountry has nothing to prove :D

Micky you certainly are a fountain of knowledge. Do you know where the Xchallenge was built? Thanks

Micky you certainly are a fountain of knowledge. Do you know where the Xchallenge was built? Thanks

Aprillia factory in Noale, Italy:D

Couple of extra points on the yellow 2009 Country,

The shock is shorter,
Stand is shorter,
Forks may have less travel
Seat is definitely lowered
Plus the levers are span adjustable

Now that's a mystery and one that I will endeavour to find out :thumb

I would guess the same as the Xcountry's ... 2007 by Aprilia then 2008 on in China but never heard anything said of it :nenau

Edit to JB's post ... and the mirrors are from/same as my F800GS. ie not round but errr mmmm funny shaped and oblongular :eek:

shocks 09 vs 07( bottom):

Sachs07and09Shocks.jpg

Wheel Travel Stroke Length
Stock BMW (Sachs) (spec:)
09 XCountry 165 48 320 +-10
07 XCountry 210 61 333 +-10

Yeah .... I understand the yellow ones are lowered a little. They also have steel rear sub frames with welded on pillion peg loops. Stronger if you want to fit panniers and RTW ;)

The 2007 black ones were assembled in the Aprilia Factory and have alloy rear sub frames with bolt on/off pillion pegs :thumb

They both have a rear shock with adjustment at the bottom to alter the ride height .... in addition to the preload.

Although the yellow ones were assembled in China I haven't seen any discernible difference in quality, the parts were only taken there to be assembled :D

A woman's bike? ... certainly could be :thumb
A beginners 'bike? ... certainly could be :thumb
No street cred? ... certainly could have :thumb
Good enough for Round The World? ... certainly is :thumb
An experienced motorcyclists machine? ... certainly is :thumb
Economical to run and look after? ... certainly is :thumb
Will it keep up in the twisties? ... certainly will :D

I think you'll find that the rider of a Xcountry has nothing to prove :D

Good info, cheers Micky.:thumb So if you were buying one today, would you avoid the 2009, and go for the earlier model?

Good info, cheers Micky.:thumb So if you were buying one today, would you avoid the 2009, and go for the earlier model?

I'm a Johnny Cash kinda bad ass biker, so it would have to be the black'un :D

Don't think there's anything to choose between them Nutty, I just prefer the slightly taller earlier model. Fitted Wilber's rear suspension and front fork springs to mine, so I can always lower it as I start wilting in my dotage :rob

As mentioned somewhere, girlfriend Sue has the 2009 yellow model, loves it, toured Norway, Germany, Ireland and the most of Europe on it .... no probs really. Headlight main beam dip switch went faulty & was replaced. My 2008 has an intermittent fault in the wiring, keeps blowing the main fuse. Will be OK for hundreds of miles, fuse goes, pop another one in then OK again :nenau

The wiring is suspect, made of cheap brittle copper wire methinks. Probably broken/worn somewhere round the headstock I think. No easy way .... I'm going to have to pull it all out and check :eek:

I'm a Johnny Cash kinda bad ass biker, so it would have to be the black'un :D

Don't think there's anything to choose between them Nutty, I just prefer the slightly taller earlier model. Fitted Wilber's rear suspension and front fork springs to mine, so I can always lower it as I start wilting in my dotage :rob

As mentioned somewhere, girlfriend Sue has the 2009 yellow model, loves it, toured Norway, Germany, Ireland and the most of Europe on it .... no probs really. Headlight main beam dip switch went faulty & was replaced. My 2008 has an intermittent fault in the wiring, keeps blowing the main fuse. Will be OK for hundreds of miles, fuse goes, pop another one in then OK again :nenau

The wiring is suspect, made of cheap brittle copper wire methinks. Probably broken/worn somewhere round the headstock I think. No easy way .... I'm going to have to pull it all out and check :eek:

I had similar issues with my XChallenge, It would start blowing the odd fuse, then it became more and more of an issue., like nearly every time i hit the starter button.

A little research revealed stories on ADVrider of the starter solenoid playing up (and don't ask me how) and this would blow the main fuse.

I did have a good look at the wiring loom, and couldn't find anything wrong, changed the solenoid after research and it has been fine ever since, despite beating 7 bells out of the bike riding the 8k miles across the US earlier this year!

HTH

I had similar issues with my XChallenge, It would start blowing the odd fuse, then it became more and more of an issue., like nearly every time i hit the starter button.

A little research revealed stories on ADVrider of the starter solenoid playing up (and don't ask me how) and this would blow the main fuse.

I did have a good look at the wiring loom, and couldn't find anything wrong, changed the solenoid after research and it has been fine ever since, despite beating 7 bells out of the bike riding the 8k miles across the US earlier this year!

HTH

Cheers for that :thumb

But I don't think it's the starter solenoid playing up. No issues when starting. At first it was fairly frequent, so I checked, pulled and tugged and moved the wiring along the full length of the harness, as I looked for signs of chaffing, couldn't see any signs, but the problem went away for several weeks :D

Then suddenly the fuse blew again ... just setting off and turning left, for the first time without the tank bag on ... the tank bag pulls the wiring tight near the headstock and as such the wiring just there doesn't move, but without the tank bag it can. I reckon that's the area I want to be looking in ;)

Cheers for that :thumb

But I don't think it's the starter solenoid playing up. No issues when starting. At first it was fairly frequent, so I checked, pulled and tugged and moved the wiring along the full length of the harness, as I looked for signs of chaffing, couldn't see any signs, but the problem went away for several weeks :D

Then suddenly the fuse blew again ... just setting off and turning left, for the first time without the tank bag on ... the tank bag pulls the wiring tight near the headstock and as such the wiring just there doesn't move, but without the tank bag it can. I reckon that's the area I want to be looking in ;)

It's either one or the other, as you say I'd be checking the wiring carefully first before replacing the solenoid

I had problems with the starter solenoid on my XChallenge, blew main 15a fuse every time, when it got wet

So check if it happens in really wet weather

I had problems with the starter solenoid on my XChallenge, blew main 15a fuse every time, when it got wet

So check if it happens in really wet weather

It blew the fuse when you were riding normally?
Or when you were starting it?

Wet or dry no difference here :nenau

It blew the fuse when you were riding normally?
Or when you were starting it?

Wet or dry no difference here :nenau

Bit of both, Mick

When the bike got really wet riding offroad or after washing

Anytime the bike was deluged

Back
Top Bottom