Help! Fuel pump connector leaking

crimsondelo

Reaction score
I have a problem, I've just found that this quick connector is leaking (see image). Looks like it's leaking from the female side of the connector at the bottom where the thread is.

I'm supposed to be on a train to France for 10 days this Saturday (on the bike)

Anyone got an idea on how to fix this quickly?

My local BMW obviously have files my urgent request in the bin so there are out of the equation.

R1200GS 2010 (64K miles)

Screenshot_20230906-191841.png

Last edited:
I have a problem, I've just found that this quick connector is leaking (see image). Looks like it's leaking from the female side of the connector at the bottom where the thread is.

I'm supposed to be on a train to France for 10 days this Saturday (on the bike)

Anyone got an idea on how to fix this quickly?

My local BMW obviously have files my urgent request in the bin so there are out of the equation.

View attachment 281465

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906-191841.png
    Screenshot_20230906-191841.png
    451.4 KB · Views: 11
This issue has been the subject of multiple recalls. That whole ill-conceived plastic connector got replaced by a metal one.
Any ideas on where to get a replacement at short notice? I saw a post where beemers boneyard in the USA did a full kit to replace the plastic parts. But obviously that's not so useful at this current moment.

The connection is a standard screw in CPC fuel connector with check valve built in. Fairly easy to obtain…..

but

It’s a screw in connector type and therefore you need to know what screw thread is used. It’s not listed as a replaceable part which probably means that the original is manufactured with some form of thread sealant to prevent leakage and removal. There is also likely to be a o ring under the connector to prevent leaking. So trying to remove the damaged connector from the plastic fuel pump housing could lead to even more damage.

If you are willing to have a go. Be aware that you are dealing with plastic components made brittle through age and fuel and so be gentle.

Update: I took the day off work and drove to the closest place which had them in stock. 9 hours of driving later a new metal connector is in place and I'm waiting for the sealant to set.

Ended up using this company and got a complete kit: Exact UK
Stu was really helpful.

If anyone sees this in the future the connector which screws into the fuel pump housing is this part number: LCD10006BSPT

I checked this morning, and after all that it appears that the leak is actually coming from the bottom of this metal collar. I think I am dead in the water.

PXL_20230908_060941190~2.jpg

That's bad news after all the dashing about, I take it the part you replaced was just above the red circle?

Any way you can source a whole new pump in time?

That's bad news after all the dashing about, I take it the part you replaced was just above the red circle?

Any way you can source a whole new pump in time?
Spoke to BGM in Tunbridge Wells. He was super helpful and managed to source a replacement unit. I'm picking it up tomorrow. So fingers crossed I can get it fitted and it works!

Everyone's been super helpful which is cool.

Update: New fuel pump assembly fitted, no leaks or other issues: France, here we come.
Just to let you know. It's effin hot over here. (France) On my way back on the tunnel this morning. The last 3 days I've been up early. Stopping at campsites with pools at lunchtime. Late afternoons are too hot.

Just to let you know. It's effin hot over here. (France) On my way back on the tunnel this morning. The last 3 days I've been up early. Stopping at campsites with pools at lunchtime. Late afternoons are too hot.
Can confirm, like being in an oven with someone blasting a hair dryer in your face. Hit 35.5c today in northern France. It's bloomin September!

Back
Top Bottom