Himalayan: does it need electronic diagnostics, and what's its overtake like?

tornadof3

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got two questions, one specific and one general:

Himalayan: being a modern bike, does it still need electronic 'bits of kit' to do servicing and bits and bobs, akin to the GS-911, or is it much simpler and more "hand tools only"?

400cc class bikes: I've only ever ridden 125s and then 800cc+ and now on a GS 1200..... so I've no experience of the smaller capacity bikes like 400cc class. Consider a swift overtake on a country road where Sunday driver is doing 45 mph and we need to get past quickly.... from my 125 days I know this is a "no-go", and I know 800+ cc bikes this is an easy overtake. What would the experience be like on a 400cc class bike?

Any knowledge appreciated.

Assuming both questions relate to the 411 bike.

1. No

2. The bike has 25 horse power. By simple comparison, the Honda 125CF has just under 12 horse power, whilst an 800 has around 85 horse power. Will the 411 overtake a vehicle doing 45 mph? Yes, of course it will but….

A. You can’t just snap open the throttle and blast past, as you could do on say a 600 or 800 / any number you like above that. It just isn’t that kind of bike.

B. The lack of instant power means you have to plan overtakes, as you do not want to find things changing in a way that are not to your advantage. You’ll either hit the vehicle coming towards you, or just as likely hit the vehicle you were attempting to overtake, in your panic to get back in.

Item A does not make the 411 a bad bike.

Item B, does not make the 411 a bad bike. You should always plan your overtakes anyway. All the 411 requires you to do is plan a little harder. It is good for you. In short, you just retune your mind and riding, to suit the limitations of the bike.

You didn’t ask about the brakes. These are nothing like the very powerful linked brakes on many modern bikes. The 411’s brakes are not bad per-se, they are though very much less powerful than many other bikes. Again, re-tune your mind and riding.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the info, helpful.

Having ridden one a few times and ridden with someone who was on a Himalayan on a number of occassions I would say for 85 to 90% of the time it is a brilliant bike as long as you limit your time on dual carriageways and keep well away from motorways because if you hit a headwind or long slope you are on a hiding to nothing unless you trash the nuts of it.

Yes, if you want or need to do a lot of motorway miles, then patience, a good look in the mirrors and over your shoulder is required when changing lanes.

For the 90 minutes run from central London to Folkestone (A13 dual carriageway M25 /M20 motorways) it’s fine, providing you accept the bike’s limitations.

Whilst the bike has never been portrayed as a continental motorway basher, it might be argued that modern more powerful (and more expensive) bikes have made their owners lazy and complacent. It is all, just too easy….. I own a 1600, so I should know! :D

I would have thought the 452 :nenau

As I don’t think the 452 is released yet or at least I’ve not seen anyone on the forum saying they’ve got or seen one, I am guessing it’s the 411. The OP didn’t correct that guess in post #3.

The 452 is of course much more powerful (it’s all relative) at 40 horse power and rev’s higher. Of course it’s not all about pure bhp, though. In reality they are completely different bikes, which just look very similar in outline.

SpecificationsHimalayan 452Himalayan 411
Engine452cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled411cc, single-cylinder, air-oil-cooled
Power40PS at 8,000rpm24.3PS at 6,500rpm
Torque40Nm at 5,500rpm32Nm at 4,000 - 4,500rpm
Bore x Stroke84mm x 81.5mm78mm x 86mm
Gearbox6-speed5-speed
ClutchWet multi-plate, Slip & AssistWet, multi-plate
Front Suspension43mm Upside-Down (USD) fork with 200mm wheel travel41mm telescopic fork with 200mm wheel travel
Rear SuspensionMonoshock with 200m wheel travelMonoshock with 180mm wheel travel
Front Brakes320mm disc with double piston caliper300mm disc with two-piston floating caliper
Rear Brakes270mm disc with single piston caliper240mm disc with single-piston floating caliper
ABSSwitchable dual-channel ABSSwitchable dual-channel ABS
Front Tyre90/90-21 Ceat Gripp RE F90/90-21 Ceat Gripp XL F
Rear Tyre140/80 R 17 Ceat Gripp Rad Steel RE120/90-17 Ceat Gripp XL
Wheelbase1,510mm1,465mm
Ground Clearance230mm220mm
Length2,245mm2,190mm
Width852mm840mm
Height1,316mm1,370 (including the top of the fly screen)
Seat Height825mm (Standard seat adjustable to 845mm)
805mm (Low seat adjustable to 825mm)
800mm
Kerb Weight196kg199kg
Fuel Capacity17 Litres15 litres

Of course it’s not all about pure bhp, though. In reality they are completely different bikes, which just look very similar in outline.
True, but the old ones must take quite a hit when the new ones arrive, assuming its as good as it seems.
I mean, who in the west really wants to be part of the 60KPH Club?

True, but the old ones must take quite a hit when the new ones arrive, assuming its as good as it seems.

I’d say all but the vainglorious Brit cockwomble brigade …..

Sent from my N65

A. The 411 bike is not limited to 60 kph (37 mph). It will cruise all day quite happily at 65 mph.

B. There will be plenty of people who will not want the extra horse power when doing the light off road stuff, which the 411 is perfectly capable of.

C. There will be plenty of people who will not want the added complexity of water cooling.

D. There will be plenty of people who will value a 411 which has been looked after, with all the ‘must do’ amendments, which are basically the free breath air filter, the spark plug and the relays.

It will be the same for overtakes as almost any low power bike. FWIW I downsized from a c95 bhp Tiger 800 to a 47 bhp CB500X and I’m happy, but I suspect that’s more to do with my attitude of mind - I don’t care who overtakes me: car, bike, lorry, I ride at a my own speed. And I try to avoid busy roads anyway, always did.

I've got two questions, one specific and one general:

Himalayan: being a modern bike, does it still need electronic 'bits of kit' to do servicing and bits and bobs, akin to the GS-911, or is it much simpler and more "hand tools only"?

400cc class bikes: I've only ever ridden 125s and then 800cc+ and now on a GS 1200..... so I've no experience of the smaller capacity bikes like 400cc class. Consider a swift overtake on a country road where Sunday driver is doing 45 mph and we need to get past quickly.... from my 125 days I know this is a "no-go", and I know 800+ cc bikes this is an easy overtake. What would the experience be like on a 400cc class bike?

Any knowledge appreciated.
As far as servicing goes it doesn’t need any electronic gadgets - it’s a simple air cooled bike.
You can safely ignore the RE service intervals and treat it much like an oiled cooled GS: oil service at 5/6K and major service at 10/12K.
As for performance, as Wapping said, it’s not a normal 400cc motorcycle - it’s a long stroke, high torque single. It can perform well but you need to keep it in the power band. If you rode mopeds as a youngster then be prepared to relive your youth if you want to make progress - can be great fun.

Back
Top Bottom