Honda Chaly 70

Trilogy2k

2019 KTM Duke 790, 2019 R1250GSA
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently inherited a 1975 Honda Chaly 70 from my late father, it's been in the family since 1978 and has only covered 5K miles since new.

It could however do with a full resto. It'd been left outside for over a year when I got hold of it and so most of the chrome is past it and it looks like the nascelle has had it as well as some of the fairing etc.

Does anyone know of a decent parts supplier for these now pretty rare bikes? I know there were a lot of interchangeable parts between it and the Dax/Cub etc.

Thankfully I've managed to obtain a pdf of the workshop manual so hoping to do most of the mechanical stuff myself, and the rest to a fabricator/bodyshop friend.

Cheers
Dean

You could try David Silver. If they don’t have anything I’m sure they might be able to offer some options …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures please, we do needs pics to give appropriate advice:D:D

Pictures please, we do needs pics to give appropriate advice:D:D
Of course!

However I'm currently on my hols in very sunny Kefalonia until next Sunday, when I return I'll photobomb the thread so you can take a detailed look at my inheritance!

Cheers
Dean

Blimey! this is a very long holiday!

Blimey! this is a very long holiday!
Lol! My bad! Although I’ve only recently got back after a month away!

It was bought by my dad back in about 1977/8 at the time as a means for my mum to get around. She never once rode it and we both ended up using it every Sunday to get us to the local swimming baths a few miles away.

I then used it in the 90s as a cheap way of getting to work for a year or so before it went away in the garage. Little did I realise until I rescued it again it’d been out side without a cover for about 1-2 years!

All original as far as I know, but needs a complete strip down and nut and bolt rebuild imho. So will be looking for parts including seat, nascelle, mirrors a couple of indicators, peg runners, points, maybe a new tank if too far gone etc. I’d like to first get it running though so that’s the first part of the plan

Any comments gratefully received!

Attachments

• IMG_3949.jpeg
    IMG_3949.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 38
Cmsnl as Paul has linked above are great for exploded views and schematics. They usually list the Honda original part no too. Armed with this you can search Ebay orDave Silver for individual parts. From memory DS has a fixed £4 ish postage, so lump parts together otherwise a 60p washer ends up costing the equivalent of a gold plated one.

Last edited:
my very first bike aged 16. ! Given to me by a next door neighbour. Used to ride it in a field and got nabbed by a Bobby for riding it on the lane from the field back to home (it was uphill on the way back). Got off with a bollocking (sensible Bobby). Lots of good memories 😀😀😀😀. Looking down at the photo of the speedo it seems like yesterday. Many thanks for sharing 👍

RIGHT . that doesn't look to bad, make it run , THEN think about a sympathetic resto, could you not get away with a proper service and grease-up to keep it original ?

to quote Wayne Carini , it's only original ONCE.

RIGHT . that doesn't look to bad, make it run , THEN think about a sympathetic resto, could you not get away with a proper service and grease-up to keep it original ?

to quote Wayne Carini , it's only original ONCE.
I think get it running first then I'll decide upon how far I go.. my next door neighbour owns a bodyshop so I know I could get everything vapour blasted and painted on the cheap so I guess I won't know until I start diving into it all..

I wouldn't restore it. Just get it running & riding

I pulled one of these in bits out of a shed about 10 years ago

They have a real following in the camper van world

Back
Top Bottom