Jumping out of gear?

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
No idea if this is a clutch/gearbox issue or not, but twice now on separate days whilst accelerating my 09 GSA through either 3rd or 4th gear theres been a sudden jolt, accompanied by the revs suddenly increasing momentarily. This only lasts for about one/two seconds, then all returns to normal and I can continue accelerating. This hasn't been when changing gear, but when accelerating about 1/3rd of the way through a gear. It feels like its jumped out of gear, but I've no idea if thats the case?

Any ideas please?

I'd agree regarding clutch slip,I think I'm correct in saying that as the clutch wears the fluid level in the reservoir rises.

Check the clutch lever is not catching the hand guard.
Clutch fluid rises as the clutch wears so can lead to clutch slip if the reservoir is above the max level mark.

No idea if this is a clutch/gearbox issue or not, but twice now on separate days whilst accelerating my 09 GSA through either 3rd or 4th gear theres been a sudden jolt, accompanied by the revs suddenly increasing momentarily. This only lasts for about one/two seconds, then all returns to normal and I can continue accelerating. This hasn't been when changing gear, but when accelerating about 1/3rd of the way through a gear. It feels like its jumped out of gear, but I've no idea if thats the case?

Any ideas please?

same problem as my 1 year old GSA had last year, shaft sticking, thoroughly clean & lubricate it, problem solved till it started sticking again, a regular maintenance item that I would have sworn wasn't the shaft or linkage..
It's not allowing the gears to fully engage occasionally & engine revs up then clinks back into gear..
Shaft needs to be TOTALLY free..
Good luck..

This happens occasionally on my 2011 GSA too, usually, but not always due to a slightly sloppy upwards gear change from me and usually results in the bike ending up back in the gear I just changed from, so not clutch, but no crunches or mechanical sounds. I had been blaming myself, so good tip on the gear change shaft. I will be having a look.

This happens occasionally on my 2011 GSA too, usually, but not always due to a slightly sloppy upwards gear change from me and usually results in the bike ending up back in the gear I just changed from, so not clutch, but no crunches or mechanical sounds. I had been blaming myself, so good tip on the gear change shaft. I will be having a look.

Wot he said. Have had this (very occasionally) on a number of 1200's. Certainly wakes you up. I agree about it happening when changing gear rather "gently".

My problem doesn't happen when changing gears, it happens part way through accelerating through the gears range.

I think that's what I meant actually, but follows soon (seconds) after a sloppy gear change, and its also very occasional - like once in 1,000miles or so.

My problem doesn't happen when changing gears, it happens part way through accelerating through the gears range.

Guaranteed shaft is at fault, needs to be totally free, even if you think it is it won't be..
When shaft starts to 'stick' the gears don't engage 100% & can take a few seconds (10 or more) to disengage gear, this certainly wakes you up..
Enjoy.. Cheap repair but time consuming to get it right..

Yep - just as you're accelerating away in the higher gear you've just selected. Maybe a couple of seconds after you've selected the next gear ?

The shift lever shaft runs in polymer bearing bushes. Dirt can make them bind but eventually they'll wear loose. Take out the shaft, clean and reassemble. If they are worn, new bushes are not costly.

Its as simple as it looks. Take the inner clamp screw right out as it sits in a groove in the shaft end. There should be no need to remove the gear lever from its end of the shaft. The shaft slides out of the frame. If its jammed with dirt, might need careful hammer/drifting from the other side of the bike.

Its as simple as it looks. Take the inner clamp screw right out as it sits in a groove in the shaft end. There should be no need to remove the gear lever from its end of the shaft. The shaft slides out of the frame. If its jammed with dirt, might need careful hammer/drifting from the other side of the bike.

So leave the pinch bolt alone, and remove the central bolt thing with an allen key?

IMG_7833_zpsvfv9an9b.jpg

As it's a GSA, a simpler "fix" may be to adjust the position of the gear pedal rubber - i.e. to lower it a bit so it contacts the top surface of your boot a bit earlier...

Back
Top Bottom