Karrimor. What went wrong?

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided a while ago that I needed a replacement for my old Karrimor Hot Rock day sack and assumed the best thing to replace a 25 year old rucksack that did exactly what you need from it would be with the same item if available.

Firstly I struggled to find a supplier local enough to go and make sure it was still the same specifications or better and secondly when I found one it was nothing like as good as the original. The old one was dragged up rock or ice on a rope numerous times and never lost anything or suffered anything more than minor scuffs but the new one simply isn’t made for that kind of abuse any longer. I shouldn’t be too surprised because I paid close to the asking price today when I originally bought one and I was expecting to be paying at least double that late ‘90s asking price.

I’ll find what I need at a price I’m happy with but it won’t be a Karrimor this time and that’s a shame.

I decided a while ago that I needed a replacement for my old Karrimor Hot Rock day sack and assumed the best thing to replace a 25 year old rucksack that did exactly what you need from it would be with the same item if available.

Firstly I struggled to find a supplier local enough to go and make sure it was still the same specifications or better and secondly when I found one it was nothing like as good as the original. The old one was dragged up rock or ice on a rope numerous times and never lost anything or suffered anything more than minor scuffs but the new one simply isn’t made for that kind of abuse any longer. I shouldn’t be too surprised because I paid close to the asking price today when I originally bought one and I was expecting to be paying at least double that late ‘90s asking price.

I’ll find what I need at a price I’m happy with but it won’t be a Karrimor this time and that’s a shame.
Like everything else
The bean counters reduce quality but keep the price and of course in built obsolescence and shipping production to the cheapest country ( usually China)

I had a Large Karrimor rucksack when i was in the Army and it survived a good few years of serious abuse then and it was only a few years ago i parted with it after over 30 years

Berghaus have gone the same way with their stuff that was once superb and now is just cheap tat

That’s the conclusion I came to. It’s disappointing because small things that made them robust have been changed and while I appreciate that moving production to China keeps the price competitive against copies also made in China I can’t be alone in being willing to pay more for a higher quality item.

An example of where they’ve gone backwards is getting rid of straps that have a metal buckle where you put the pin though a hole rather than snap together ones to hold items onto the outside of the bag. The last thing you want is the strap holding crampons, axes or poles on your pack to break if you bang it against something solid but, as you say, bean counters have taken control completely.

I have a feeling that it's now owned by Sports Direct and looked upon as not too high a quality. Shame really.

Reactions: bod
Andy, this is timely. I absolutely rely on my kit and stick with brands I trust and have tested. My go to boots for skiing and hiking have always been Salomon. My latest trek trainers Ultra 4 are fraying after a few weeks wear in a non-abrasive area. First in all those I have bought. Now I have the faff of dealing with customer service. Quality is definitely on the decline.

Not just karrimor.

I have been through almost exactly the same dilemma when my (at least) 25 year old 35 litre Berghaus rucksack just fell apart. That thing had been around the world with me, dragged up and down everywhere, it was just brilliant. Then I had to find another - No chance.

The Berghaus back then was (as said above) a far cry from the rubbish available today. Everything now is full of 'features' that I don't need or want and the materiel that they're made of seems so flimsy. I wanted a simple rucksack, one huge zipped/flapped main storage area, two zipped/flapped side pockets and a small zipped pocket on the top for my passport, all made with a super durable fabric. Forget it.

I bought a Deuter rucksack (via a recommendation) that was so bloody fussy with features that it soon disappeared via ebay. I then bought an Alpine Lowe rucksack which I only kept for a weekend before taking it back. I'm now using a Millican rucksack which is NEARLY simple and hard wearing enough, but the main clasps to close the compartments are poor so I wouldn't recommend them.

Maybe ex Army/Swiss Army whatever ?????

Edit - I forgot about the Mountain Warehouse one that I bought. I think that I took it back the same day that I bought it. Fussy fussy fussy, bits of elastic all over the place, daft pockets and straps that I would never need. Crap zips n'all.

Last edited:
I think that is as consumers have to shoulder some of the blame re quality.
As you rightly say Andy, some things are not much more money now than years ago.
People want more but want the price to stay the same.

An old mate of mine reckons that years ago you had three choices.

Cheap shit, middle price for reasonable quality or high end gear for top money.
Now you can have cheap shit, medium priced shit or expensive shit!
It’s all shit….so he says.

Phew, I thought I’d come across as simply being a whingy old bastard but it seems I’m not alone even if I am a whingy old bastard :D

The Karrimor was my go to day sack and usually had either rock climbing or ice climbing gear bunged in it and that’s all a bit lumpy and likely to poke holes through the bag if it’s not up to scratch. I’m no longer rock or ice climbing but I’m still prone to being a bit brutal with equipment and tight fisted enough not to want to replace it within 3 years.

Somewhere in the attic there’s a 55l Berghaus rucksack that was always big enough for extended trips but it’s bigger than I need for a day out and again, looking at replacements I couldn’t get one made to the same standards.

You bought just at the right time as Karrimor and Kangol were bought by Sports Direct after going bust in 2003 and 2009.

I can remember buying disposable Karrimor trainers for a tenner when working in children's homes from c2005. Always kept a spare pair in the car boot as you never knew what the little darlings would have in store for you from shift to shift. Projectile vomiting, dirty protests, slashed artery ...

I never go in Go Outdoors, but the likes of them are the problem.

Once expensive things purchased from a small shop, are piled high in every size and colour at a fraction of the price.

Guess what ... a deal has been done for a big order at a knock down price.

Just what happened to Karrimor. Bought by Sports Direct, then flood the market with cheap crap using the name. It works for a while.

Most of this junk never gets put to the test, so it doesn't really matter in most cases.

What I don't like is the likes of Arctery'x, Harkila or Fjallraven proudly promoting their history and culture, while switching all production to China while still demanding Canadian/Scandinavian money.

Another one of my pet hates regarding kit like rucksacks is the use of thin elastic cord all over the place. The cheap shit stuff used in the majority of cases is prone to cracking or losing its elasticity inside a couple of years leaving it resembling a tired old bootlace that’s fit for nothing. Yes, I know it’s cheap but it’s going to fail and the replacement will come from a different manufacturer.

What I don't like is the likes of Arctery'x, Harkila or Fjallraven proudly promoting their history and culture, while switching all production to China while still demanding Canadian/Scandinavian money.
Agree there

I'm a bit surprised by the comment about Deuter, with which I have equipped 4 kids as they were introduced to hiking (me with a trusty, ancient Karrimor) and these continue to perform well, taking a LOT of use and abuse - notably currently around the coast and hills of the state of Victoria, Australia.

It does seem to take effort to get past the 'street fashion' stuff and find the 'technical' products.

It's definitely a shame when 'purists' are priced out of the market or sold-on through either opportunity or necessity.
(MacPac in New Zealand being a similarly affected 'cottage industry' in their founding, principles and reputation, but they see to still be held to reasonable standards by a loyalty Base. If O. P. hasn't had a look at them, perhaps try online? MEC Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada, or REI in the USA might also be worth a look?)

(And I think that Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka have largely displace China as the manufacturing locations for 'reputable' brands, not that this doesn't raise all sorts of ethical issues about the treatment of labour...)

Last edited:
+1 for Deuter

I never go in Go Outdoors, but the likes of them are the problem.

Once expensive things purchased from a small shop, are piled high in every size and colour at a fraction of the price.

Guess what ... a deal has been done for a big order at a knock down price.

Just what happened to Karrimor. Bought by Sports Direct, then flood the market with cheap crap using the name. It works for a while.

Most of this junk never gets put to the test, so it doesn't really matter in most cases.

I try to find things I can go and actually look at in person and have a feel to see how they’re made which has worked for me this time because I would normally have simply ordered a direct replacement then felt as if I’d been taken for a mug.

The last time I bought a pair of boots that were compatible with step in crampons they cost me about £250 and that was 35 years ago. Because I’m a rash and impulsive type of person with lots of time on my hands in winter I’ve decided it’d be fun to go back to doing a bit of winter hill walking and while I’m at it solo a few grade I & II ice routes but what outwardly appear to be decent make winter mountaineering boots start from about £250. I’m now asking myself if they’re actually any good and the only way I’ll find out is to go to a proper climbing shop and ask the employees who go climbing what they suggest. Internet shopping isn‘t all it’s cracked up to be these days :D

Only think I would say is the tech and manufacture has moved on so maybe, in some instances, they’ll be up to the job. I’m just glad I’m not climbing Everest in a tweed jacket, hob nail boots and with a hemp rope - know what I mean.

I try to stay clear of all those big fashion biased "feature packed" brands now.

Smaller sacks and dry bags I have a few POD Sacs whom I think originate in Derbyshire, but may be wrong on that one.

But my main pack is the awesome Crux AK47.

Very much a British company owned by a very passionate bloke called "Carol" who got sick of the bullshit working for The North Farce.
Also owns sister company Lightwave, and have one of their tents also.

Had it about 12 years now and is like new. Basic, comfortable and so, so tough.

The Osprey just gets used for sea fishing since I got the Crux.

"Financial difficulties beginning in the late 1990s led to the company entering receivership in March 2003, after which the trademark was acquired by Sports Direct and is now used for various budget outdoor and running products."

That's why the stuff is now shite.

The best outdoors shop in the North West isn’t too far from you Andy.

https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=1467315. The shop is well worth a visit in Garstang - check opening times and the guys there really know their stuff and pretty much only sell stuff they have tried and tested. They cam also get hold of almost anything if you tell them what you want. Mike is the man to talk to about kit.

Back
Top Bottom