Kawasaki GTR 1400

Mysticwind

Reaction score
Ive been asked by a fellow tosser to put down my thoughts on the GTR1400 that Bryn is now enjoying…
Firstly, I am 6’6” and “portly”, I now do about half my riding with my eldest on the back.
I have had nearly as many bikes as Bryn and so change regularly.
I had this for the summer, bought in March and just sold. Immediately before this I had a KTM 990 Adventure (a fine machine). The KTM had to go…. Although it was a great bike and a superb load lugger with the three boxes on it, when my boy had got comfortable on the back snug against the topbox I was increasingly finding my gentlemen vegetables wedged on the front part of the seat, sharp braking was becoming an issue…..
My buying criteria
Shaft drive – big comfy seat – big and fast – a different style to the ktm for a bit of variety – cheap !!
I didn’t want to pay for a “badge” I wanted value.
GTRs depreciate like a piano off a cliff and then plateau out. I paid 7k for a bike with 7500miles and under 3 years old, under half of its cost.
Kawasaki obviously thought they needed a tourer in the range . They could have perhaps thought a bit harder before launch though. I refer only to the 2009 model and have no knowledge of riding the newer one. The 2009 has tyre pressure monitors, abs and a trip computer thingy with temperature, battery voltage, mpg etc. I believe the newer one has the fairing cubby hole in a different place and has kawasakis traction control and possibly linked brakes. Also the newer model has the controls for the computer on the bars, the 2009 has the controls on the dash which is just straightforward bad design and renders the computer functions useless whilst moving.
The bike is dominated by the variable valve timed 1400cc motor from the zzr14..
It appears not to have been retuned for a heavy tourer/sports tourer and as such you need more revs and a lower gear than you may think you do until about 4-5000 revs at which point it thinks it’s the feckin space shuttle, it really does shift.
The steering is heavy at low speed, but not bad considering its around 300kg.
Handling is generally good with a remote wheel for preload at the rear. If really pushed it can tie itself up in knots, but you do have to push it hard.
If you cruise gently you will get 250 to a tank, mid 40’s at a guess. I often got 160 because…..
I cant help but exploit the performance of whatever I drive or ride ( I sort of look forward to the time when I can ). I rode it solo without panniers and with a sports can on. I also changed the windscreen to a +4” one off ebay for about 90 quid, I rode with the bigger one in the lowest position and it behaved a bit like a double bubble and gave enough wind relief without looking too bulky or barn door like. The can was from “Xtreme stainless” and was of reasonable quality, the baffle came out and the bike sounded fantastic without being overly loud. The can not only sounded better, it was much easier on the eye than the enormous original. It also weighed about 1/3rd of the heavy original. The original is fine until you take the panniers off, then it stands out. I feel it is that size so it sails under the pannier and out past the rear. The benefit is that you get two full size panniers and looking at both an FJR and Pan they are much larger than both. Tyres I used were Michelin Road Pilot 3s which were faultless. The bike also has keyless ignition, which is just a gimic, you still need a proper key to fill up or access the panniers. The bike was utterly reliable and the shaft drive looks very substantial

Why did I sell?
Couldn’t “love it”
I rode it solo like a sports bike and therefore it ate tyres and brake pads like no tomorrow…
I couldn’t control my right wrist and don’t fancy picking up the soap in the prison shower

Summary
A Cheap, well made tourer that thinks it’s a sports bike.

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 6,621
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 6,665
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 4,630
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 4,450
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 4,472
I had a metallic blue GTR1000 back in the mid 90's. Cracking machine - never did enough miles on it though. Brilliant for riding in France because being blue everyone thought you were a copper and just let you fly past :thumb2
I know exactly what you mean about the useable power. The GTR1000 used to give you a kick in the kidneys at about 4500rpm at which point it took off like a scalded cat:p One of the few bikes I was genuinely very sad to sell but my ex wanted the money to be in bricks and mortar not rubber and metal :( so she had to go .... that's why she's the ex :p

It looks like it could do with a bigger screen :augie

I'm chuffed to bits to have bought another KTM fella .........

Thanks for the write up :thumb2

I really don't know why I like that model....I shouldn't, but I do :nenau

:beerjug:

It does look like a big chugging fast bike, but without soul it's hard to love. It's difficult for 4 cylinder bikes to have character and therefore I don't love them. Think that's why i love my old tractor of a GS and feel that manufactures are going the wrong way by concentrating on power and smoothness.

I had a 2008 GTR for just over 3 years and only managed to put 3,500 miles on it. Work was a factor but, not enjoying it more so. I bought it on impulse. It looks fantastic. It sounds fantastic. A short spin on it and the rocket power gives you a fit of the giggles. The technology in it is amazing on every front. The build quality is excellent. Every time I opened the garage door I wanted to take it out. 1/2 mile into a spin waiting for the tyres to warm up the excitement mounts. Warm tyres, clear road,open the throttle and hang on for a kick ass buzz. So far so good. Problem is as you blip to second gear you have broken the speed limit and the rest of the ride is spent looking in the mirrors. At 120mph+ you run out of road really quick. Slow down, wait for clear run, boom, open the throttle again. The engine, although detuned from the zzr is still so aggressive it "needs" (you have to, it forces you) to be kept above 7,000 revs. Fun, exhilarating, thrilling, buzzing, exciting, doesnt do it justice. But, and it is a big but, none of this is the main reason you buy a touring bike. Driven the way it wants to be driven (honestly your honour it wasnt my fault - i get 48mpg on the 1200GS driving the way it wants to be driven) is terrible fuel economy, a chewed rear tyre in 3,000 miles and a nervous disorder from looking in the rear mirror. 10 miles in and the handle bar buzz starts to numb fingers. 20 miles in and the seat starts to numb other parts. 30 miles in and the some how (never figured it out) rotten riding position causes back and neck strain. I tried 4 different screens and bar risers and couldn't get a combination to work. Then hit the twisties and the slower steering angle (compared to the zzr) makes it hard to switch direction. The suspension has lots of adjustment options which could be described as ranging from hard to "am I riding a hard tail". I never managed to get it sorted and hitting an apex consistently was way beyond my ability. By the 100 mile mark i always ended up wishing it would break down so I could get a lift home! So in short a bike to fall in lust with easily, but it just wasn't made for marriage! In the end , much as i still loved to look at it in the garage, that isnt what a bike is for and i couldn't wait to get rid of it. Did I mention the depreciation - how the hell can it have lost THAT much. Still, take it away and give me a pig ugly GS that wants me to stay on it all day.

Thank goodness we are all very different .. have had my Gtr for 18 months and put 20,000 miles on it .. commuting, and a couple of trips to Spain and France .... I havn't changed anything on it so it's completely standard and it has been BRILLIANT .... no issues with anything at all.

Still loving mine.. The CalSci large screen, Remus can and top sellerie seat has transformed the bike ;)

I'm taking it to Hill Top motorcycles on 4th Jan for secondary butterfly removal and a dyno set up.. An extra 25ftlb of torque from tick over on the cards. :D

Can't wait to do some Euro trips on it next summer :beerjug:

Absolutely love mine.
Extremely capable in the twisties and can change line mind corner like a bike half it's size.
Comfy As a comfy thing.

Rather looking forward to playing with a few sports bikes (nicely of course :) )

Back
Top Bottom