Kriega rucksacks, which size for airlines hand baggage?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, as the title says, I would like to get a rucksack for use on the bike but also to use as a carry-on hand luggage bag suitable for certain budget airlines, so if anyone can recommend a Kriega rucksack, (maybe 20-25 litres?), or another good quality rucksack that meets my needs, then that would be brilliant.

I have carried assorted rucksacks (not the giant things) onto aircraft, without any problem.

Here’s an advert for a different Kriega product but it gives the dimensions. Find the nearest rucksack to match. Or just find the dimensions allowed by your airline of choice and go from there.

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4586.jpeg

Ryanair Hand Luggage Allowance:​

One personal item, 40 x 25 x 20 cm, free of charge. 'Priority & 2 Cabin Bags' or 'Plus' customers may also bring on board a larger item measuring no more than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and weighing 10 kg or under. Priority costs between £6 and £35.99 per person, one way. Non-Priority customers may check their 10 kg hand luggage into the hold for between £12.99 and £35.99 per person, one way.

Last edited:
But….. (there has to be a “but” doesn’t there?), I really wanted a proper rucksack, you know, strap over each shoulder and quadlock fastening, etc.

If the 40 in Wapping's link is acceptable for the airline you're traveling on then an R30 or R35 should do the trick nicely :thumby:

PS This could be worth a bid :augie

The travel bags suggested by Richard have a single well padded shoulder strap and they expand into the perfect size for a weekend away, I know because until I sold them I had 2 that I used to use in Touratech panniers and also used as carry on bags when flying. Where you miss out on having 2 shoulder straps you gain in every other way.

The travel bags suggested by Richard have a single well padded shoulder strap and they expand into the perfect size for a weekend away
I have been using the KS40 as inner bags for my GS' alu panniers for about a decade now, I think.
kriega1.jpg

I also flew with one of them so, yes, they do work as hand baggage.

They also come handy in other situations where space is limited:
ks-car.jpg

They're excellent.

If you want something you can strap directly to the bike, the US series by Kriega would do. The US-30 should be just a tad smaller.

Last edited:
just returned on weds ...Easyjet ..used an R25. easyJet now tell you at check in desk to put your carry on luggage into their " frame template " to see if it fits. if you don't go to check in ,IE no hold luggage , they recheck when boarding . But the R 25 slotted in nicely

I have had one of the US series tailbacks for about 15 years and it is big enough for a night or two away for myself on my bike.

I was thinking about my recent EasyJet experience as mentioned by DC in the previous post. I have a Givi inner that I use but it is not comfortable to carry but the R25 sounds like exactly what I want. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Reactions: DC
I was using the Kriega R 30 for a couple of year but found it a nuisance on the plane with the front chest harness there's 2 clips to it and its a bit bulky. Trying to tuck it away under a seat over overhead was cumbersome but doable. Im much happier with the R20, been using it for at least a year. I can take the laptop, chargers, 2 shirts, pair of slacks runners and wash bag for work trips away. Solid bit of kit then for biking.

My main reason for the change was the chest harness is smaller and tidier

Unless you particularly want a motorcycle centric rucksack, to take on an aeroplane, just buy any old rucksack or carry-on bag you fancy. Your motorcycle won’t mind, I promise. You can of course use the same rucksack when riding your motorcycle, the aeroplane won’t mind.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
Ok, this post will be fuck all use as it’s not a Kriega rucksack, nor is it currently available.
But I’ve been using one of these for about 3 years on my commute to the UK.

f744e6a58914c4d87eff3faee2d5dde7.jpg

It goes in all overhead lockers and airline sizing bins but it’s huge. Cost £30 but very well made and has been used most weeks since.

I'm a big fan of Kriega stuff and amongst other stuff own a couple of their rucksacks. They are indeed great on a bike (also skiing and snowboarding), but they are not great for walking about with. The design that makes them so comfortable on a bike means that unless they are clipped up at the front, they will continually slip off the wearers shoulders. Not ideal for the OP's required useage.

I returned from Spain after using a hire bike out there ( off road) so the R25 was perfect for that, but as mentioned if you are taking a rucksack for a "normal " trip ,id use a normal rucksack, the R series does have heavy straps and the buckles which do take up some of the space in the easy jet size template.

I am specifically looking at carry-on hand luggage rather than pay to put it in the overhead lockers, so Easy Jet say 45x36x20 cms while Ryan Air say 40x20x25 cms The best I have found so far is the Lowe Alpine Edge 18 from Go Outdoors, I have abandoned Kriega as it was probably overkill for my needs.

I am specifically looking at carry-on hand luggage rather than pay to put it in the overhead lockers, so Easy Jet say 45x36x20 cms while Ryan Air say 40x20x25 cms The best I have found so far is the Lowe Alpine Edge 18 from Go Outdoors, I have abandoned Kriega as it was probably overkill for my needs.

You pay your use overhead lockers ?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

You pay your use overhead lockers ?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk
If you fly Easy Jet or Ryan Air, then yes you do. Only a bag that is within the measurements can go under the seat in front.

Back
Top Bottom