London to Manchester - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice my Garmin routes a bit odd given the place names I mentioned so here I have created the bit from Banbury to Ashbourne on Google maps

Having done the route today (in the car) the roads are being resurfaced around the Twycross area with the horrible chip & tar, though the bits they had done didn't seem to have too many loose chips but just be aware.

The back road from the A444 to Barton Under Needwood watch for the junction near Grange Wood as it looks like a sweeping bend but is actually a give way onto another road, the road markings have worn away and there are no give way signs ! This is a fun road on a GS and I love the military style bridge over the Trent.

If you have time (bit off your route) worth dropping into Matlock Bath for fish and chips, the town is a popular biker haunt, if you don't know it it has the feel of a seaside town in the middle of the country.

Just to add instead of going on to the A50 that links part of the A515 turn left just before A50 and go through Sudbury.

Having done the route today (in the car) the roads are being resurfaced around the Twycross area with the horrible chip & tar, though the bits they had done didn't seem to have too many loose chips but just be aware.

The back road from the A444 to Barton Under Needwood watch for the junction near Grange Wood as it looks like a sweeping bend but is actually a give way onto another road, the road markings have worn away and there are no give way signs ! This is a fun road on a GS and I love the military style bridge over the Trent.

If you have time (bit off your route) worth dropping into Matlock Bath for fish and chips, the town is a popular biker haunt, if you don't know it it has the feel of a seaside town in the middle of the country.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much. I have now amended my route (again...) :augie )
I have set a warning for the grange wood and noted where it is. Does look like a sweeper so thanks for the heads up. I have to work later than hoped tomorrow so may well end up doing last section from Stoke on busier roads. Coming home wife has agreed to pillion...told her weather was a killer on Monday...Back over peaks / Snake pass etc . Thanks all for the advice. Great to get input to aid planning. :beerjug:

Attachments

• work to banbury.kml
    48.8 KB · Views: 128
  • BanburytoBondEndA515(1).kml
    49.3 KB · Views: 124
Be interested to know what the route you have chosen from the M25/M40 is like.

Here is an idea, not had time to plan a proper route, but try this, A40 out of London, A413 past Buckingham, pick up A5 at Towcester, keep on A5 till A444 head for Burton upon Trent, A515 to Buxton, A524 to Glossop. Manchester will be on your left.

Ha ha..I need to get out of dodge first...no point getting mixed up in traffic before i head to the west. I finish at 3.25 on a friday - teacher.....so will miss most of the snarl up.

Here is an idea, not had time to plan a proper route, but try this, A40 out of London, A413 past Buckingham, pick up A5 at Towcester, keep on A5 till A444 head for Burton upon Trent, A515 to Buxton, A524 to Glossop. Manchester will be on your left.

Wow, after a jaunt round the outside of London on M25 to make time (lot of filtering but at least I could filter!) Turned off to Amersham/Aylesbury/buckingham (a438?) then onto pick up the start below Banbury for Southam. Wow, what awesome roads. The A41? to Southam is a cracker. No traffic, brilliant sweepers and good scenery. The fosse Way is awesome as is the run up through countless villages I have never heard of. Made it as far as Measham before running out of time and heading for the M6 via Stone. So I got all but 60 odd miles from Manchester not using M Way. Took longer but reminded me why I ride a lovely sounding GS. Left work at 4 30 and got to Manch at 11:00!
Cheers

So I got all but 60 odd miles from Manchester not using M Way. Took longer but reminded me why I ride a lovely sounding GS. Left work at 4 30 and got to Manch at 11:00!
Cheers

Sounds like you had fun which at the end of the day is mostly why we ride motorbikes. Still lots for you to experience in the future when you have more time.

The legendary.....cat and fiddle. Nice to see all the bikers out. Must say saw too many triumphs out and not enough BMW up norf....

Attachments

• 2013-05-06 11.28.12.jpg
    2013-05-06 11.28.12.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom