Los Lagos - lakes at Covadonga by bus only

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone else already knows this, but in case there’s anyone left who doesn’t - there’s no access to the glacial lakes, called locally Los Lagos, at Covadonga except by bus or taxi.

The end of the line at Covadonga was heaving with tour buses, people waiting for the bus to go up to the lakes, or turning around - since why would you go on a bus if you’ve got a motorbike or a car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been like that for a good few years now in "season"

It is a shame as I used to enjoy riding up there and I suspect there are many biker mates who would have been up but now cant and wont get the bus trip are missing out

You can access them as long as you’re past the barrier by 07:30. We did it last week.

You can also get access all day on the 8th September as it’s Asturias day and they open it up for the statue ritual. I know this isn’t useful this year, but it is for people planning future trips.

You can access them as long as you’re past the barrier by 07:30. We did it last week.

You can also get access all day on the 8th September as it’s Asturias day and they open it up for the statue ritual. I know this isn’t useful this year, but it is for people planning future trips.
Yep, been up there just before the barriers were shut. Barely light when we arrived but what a great experience having breakfast up there.

Yep, been up there just before the barriers were shut. Barely light when we arrived but what a great experience having breakfast up there.

Absolutely. We did it in complete darkness last week and chucking it down with rain (which obviously stopped once we parked up!). The lights on my mate’s bike could only be described as criminally negligent. Kept her on her toes!

Breakfast watching the sun rise just after the rain stopped made it worth it.

Good to for next time. Since the Spanish aren’t known as early risers, are the Tavernas up there open for breakfast or did you take your own?

Any restrictions coming back down? I wouldn’t want spend all day up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had breakfast on the picnic benches, but the cafe was definitely open at 09:00 when we called in for coffee.

You can exit at any time and move around freely once you’re in. However, if you leave that’s it - no returning.

Back
Top Bottom