Michelin Road 6 - never again

I've had the same opinion for some time. You only have to read a few posts in any tyre thread where someone will claim whatever tyre it is are absolutely the dogs bollocks, grippiest things ever, and someone else will claim they are total ditchfinders made out of wood.

I reckon in a blind test, for road riding, most riders would have absolutely no clue what tyre was fitted, even whether it was a pure road tyre or a mild trail type.
absolute twaddle, everyone on here is an expert in all things tyre related.

If one of the leading members says its true, it is. If you disagree a keen mod or other members of the inner sanctum will be along to bully you into their way of thinking.

absolute twaddle, everyone on here is an expert in all things tyre related.

If one of the leading members says its true, it is. If you disagree a keen mod or other members of the inner sanctum will be along to bully you into their way of thinking.
No the Ta3 works , I have done every tyre they make for the Gs and the for mentioned just works , slow , medium and fast ... simple .. did the same test on the Multi V4 s as well
It suits all , Mr Bimble , Mr Advance , Mr Thrash , Mr New , Mr Old .... all sorts.

I took Anakee Adventures off my 21 plate 1250 GS last month prior to trip to Spain..They had done 10k and there was still a couple mm left on..
Fitted the PR6 just travelled 3.5k and can't fault them, excellent tyres.
Have to say, why do you need to take your hands off handlebars, coppers round our way would do you for dangerous riding without a doubt.

To check if everything is aligned.
Bike is at its most stable in an upright position at constant throttle.
If it pulls to the left there is something amiss as you would have to constantly counter steer to keep straight which would be a bit tiring

It is, but true, if your car wandered to the left you could check all sorts things.
Bit less to check on a bike I think

I've had the same opinion for some time. You only have to read a few posts in any tyre thread where someone will claim whatever tyre it is are absolutely the dogs bollocks, grippiest things ever, and someone else will claim they are total ditchfinders made out of wood.

I reckon in a blind test, for road riding, most riders would have absolutely no clue what tyre was fitted, even whether it was a pure road tyre or a mild trail type.
BANG ON !!!

We all have our pet tyres. There's few really bad tyres made in truth except for cheap Chinese stuff which we wouldn't fit to our bikes anyway. Making a tyre recommendation is usually just based on personal experience with them or from reading reviews. You makes your choice and pays your money. How tyres wear varies probably more than what outright grip you get for road riding and there's a few tyre models I wouldn't have again based purely on their wear profiles and how that affects handling.

Just back from a 500km ride on new road 6 tyres.
I can confirm, they pull to the left. Very slightly. Nothing alarming.

Usually I fit Conti Road Attack 3, but I decided to give the Michelin a spin. Not used them since the 4s. Purely down to an excessive number of punctures.

The Michelin seem a little lighter steering, maybe with a higher profile looking at the edge of the tyre…normally a few mm on the Contis until a very spirited ride. A bit more left on the Michelin despite getting toe sliders down.

Genuinely think there is little difference in performance.

Just back from a 500km ride on new road 6 tyres.
I can confirm, they pull to the left. Very slightly. Nothing alarming.

Usually I fit Conti Road Attack 3, but I decided to give the Michelin a spin. Not used them since the 4s. Purely down to an excessive number of punctures.

The Michelin seem a little lighter steering, maybe with a higher profile looking at the edge of the tyre…normally a few mm on the Contis until a very spirited ride. A bit more left on the Michelin despite getting toe sliders down.

Genuinely think there is little difference in performance.
Lets see after a few more miles , like I said they feel good but are made of chocolate and do not last at all. TA3 best out there as you can push as hard and not have the desctrucive wear .
PR5/PR6 max 1500 miles of hard riding and hope you get home at crawling space
CTA3 2200 2500 hard riding and still get home on a tour with no issues, so you can still do the (for me ) additional 200 miles back from the ferry with no worries of punctures or plod stops.
To add in the UK the Mich do wear at an alarming rate and also square off , unlike the conti.

Last edited:
Today I finally got some time to go to the shop and install front Scorpion Trail 2 that I had laying in my garage. After that went for a ride and tested the bike. It's perfect. It rides in a straight line just like with Anakee, even with hands off. So the problem was definitely Road 6.
I was buying Michelin tyres for the last 30 years and even forgot that some other brand can be as good or even better. As Scorpion Trail 2 has different geometry, bike feels better planted. I also felt it's more comfortable, taking road surface irregularities better, smoother. But it can also be beacause the tyre is new.
Anyway, Road 6 is still at the rear and I'll be keeping it until it gets worn and then replace it with Scorpion Trail 2 as well.

i changed from ra3's to road6's on my vstrom 650 about 1000mls ago. what a difference, no grabbing ridges/white lines etc.. they have boosted my riding confidence. i'm not worried if i get less miles out of them. i'm just a 77 yr old fart but i went from home to tomintoul via aboyne and gairnshiel in a respectable 1hr 20mins. don't suppose i will manage that again as everything just seemed right.
i had road 4's on my gs 1200 and found them to be good as well.

Jeebus....... I just ordered a rear tyre for my Crosstourer, a Dunlop Meridian (150/70 17)

€237 fitted......feck me!!!

Haven't bought tyres in a while.
Colour me shocked!!

Sent by an Android

For context....

Before Covid and the invasion of Ukraine

I was paying €280 - €300 for front and rear, pretty much any brand.

Sent by an Android

Bike is at its most stable in an upright position at constant throttle.
If it pulls to the left there is something amiss as you would have to constantly counter steer to keep straight which would be a bit tiring
Not true. Road camber will steer any vehicle. Most cambers are designed to drift vehicles left ie convex.

Back
Top Bottom