Month to six weeks trip in 2025 - USA

Fluffmeister

I think I'm a Guzzista now
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm heading out next year to do a bike road trip for my 60th, I'm planning on taking a month to 6 weeks out, and loose outline is

Visit the remaining US Battleships (I've done the Missouri in Pearl Harbour) so that leaves me

USS Texas, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Alabama, Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin

The Johnson Space centre and the Saturn V

Deadwood (Narrowly missed out on that last year in a car based trip as the wifey wasn't well)

National Museum of the USAF in Ohio

and a few other bits and bobs.

I am just searching these hallowed halls now, trying to work out if it's better to ship out the V7 for example and use that, as it's simple, comfy and fairly low maintenance, or to go the hire route. Will be the first trip I do worthy of some sort of report, as all the Euro trips, whilst fun, just seem to blend.

I've done a bit of travelling in the US, but only one on a bike where I hired a bike for few days mooching around Arizona and Nevada, everything else was with the good lady, and at times with the kids as well.

=========

I have started you fresh thread.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Give MotoFreight a call to check out bike shipping costs and go from there. Roddy or Cathy.
I’ve found them to be a top notch company to deal with.

@Sgt Bilco is looking at running a 2025 coast to coast trip in the USA and has secured 'secure' shipping - may be worth having a chat with him ref the bike shipping even if you don't join the trip. He knows his stuff and can probably offer advice on your plans also.

You have a PM regarding shipping.

For that length of time, shipping your own is the only way to go as rental charges will break you!!

You also have your own mighty steed which is fully prepared by you and has everything you need.

You have a PM regarding shipping.

For that length of time, shipping your own is the only way to go as rental charges will break you!!

You also have your own mighty steed which is fully prepared by you and has everything you need.

Thank you (y)

Then let’s anticipate that the fellow’s next question might well be about motor insurance for his UK registered bike, whilst riding in America……

Thank you (y)

Then let’s anticipate that the fellow’s next question might well be about motor insurance for his UK registered bike, whilst riding in America……

I am already making enquiries about the very same, even though it's a year away, planning is the key :) Having only one working eye is not a problem on the U.K. scene, it is declared, and Markerstudy where of the impression "If the DVLA are happy, so are we" so hopefully things don't get silly in the US because of that, if they are even interested that is.

I've never considered the V7 a mighty steed though, it's more the Donkey to my Shrek, but should be a loyal companion for the trip.

@Sgt Bilco is looking at running a 2025 coast to coast trip in the USA and has secured 'secure' shipping - may be worth having a chat with him ref the bike shipping even if you don't join the trip. He knows his stuff and can probably offer advice on your plans also.

Thanks mate, Bilco has dropped me a PM and it could work out perfectly after I've checked out the details, ultimately I am going coast to coast, in a meandering way and meeting the long haired commander for a week or so together at the end of the trip. I'd take my V7, and as I was saying to Chris, I'm not antisocial :) but have my own list of things to check off, and also post brain tumour have a few issues with strength and fatigue that can raise their head from time to time, meaning every now and again I may need to scrub a day, rest up, shoot up then carry on :)

I've done a fair bit of 4 wheeled travelling in the USA, and am out there most years, but need to check this one off the list.

Thanks to everyone so far who has chipped in, and to Richard for moving the thread to an appropriate place.

No problem at all.

I thought it might get lost where it was, thinking that it might also be useful to others to see how you go about organising things and, not least, the end result. If you can, at some point share how you ended up doing the shipping (if you do go down that route) and the insurance. It will all be reasonably current and, hopefully, a guide - or some inspiration - for others to follow.

PS Loving the ’long haired commander’ reference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom