My Route Navigation - skipping waypoints

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I drove a route today, imported into the MRA app and then available in Navigator. All very easy.

There was 1 way point misplaced,so I just ignored it but it kept wanting me to go back, till I manually skipped 1 waypoint.

In settings I have it set to skip waypoints automatically, though - which it didn’t.

Does this function just not work, or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem but involving a correctly placed waypoint on a motorway. The app clearly thought I had missed the point and kept tryin to sen me back. For some unknown reason, the app did not skip the point automatically.

It does say “beta”. Maybe it just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should work and the forum is not full of bods saying that it doesn’t.

Here is an explanation of how it does (or should) work:

Skipping

I have repeated my question on the forum.

I haven’t yet got an answer from the MyRoute forum, as to why the automatic skip function failed on a motorway, where it is all but impossible to miss a waypoint.

I posted a comment on the MRA Forum in April, asking, amongst other things, the same question about why the auto skipping function appeared not to work. I didn't receive a satisfactory response but a couple of replies suggested that as the new version "Next" was about to be launched, there wasn't any real point in worrying about a glitch in the old version

I am running the new version of the app, in its Beta form.

The Beta testing (which I am taking part in) should have cured the auto skip problems. Indeed, in many responses to the Beta section of the MRA forum, it has. This explains my confusion as to why the app failed to skip on a simple motorway.

I have asked the question on the MRA forum, in the Beta test sub-section, but have not got a clear answer.

I have an answer from one of the main guys at MyRoute.

I now understand what happened and the reason(s) why it happened.

I agree with his comment, that a tweak to the algorithm (ie. more ‘aggressive’ skipping of waypoints on highways) would be a good idea.

• Missing waypoints can occur if GPS signal wasn't available or inaccurate for a longer period while approaching the waypoint.
  • Skipping waypoints automatically is only triggered at the second (or more) deviation. Then the first next nearest waypoint is chosen but that can very well be the waypoint that's behind you. If you seem to continuously ignore it, the app will skip it anyway after 6 recalculations. On highways it takes quite a long time before you can turn around (which you ignore) and thus before a recalculation is triggered. It might indeed then be a good suggestion to alter the algorithm to be more aggressive in skipping waypoints on the highway.
Skip waypoint algorithm
In the last update we've added the feature to automatically skip waypoints. Thanks to your feedback we've made the following changes to the algorithm.

• Waypoints more than 20km away will never be skipped automatically. This has been added because people enjoyed the "skip waypoint after x recalculations" but on long stretches you'd sometimes have a few recalculations resulting in undesired skips.
  • We improved the logic for selecting the new waypoint after triggering the auto-skip. In the previous version the algorithm would always skip a maximum of one waypoint. This was the safer option but also resulted in a very constrained algorithm. In this version, the algorithm will simply search for the next nearest waypoint when the auto-skip algorithm has been triggered

I know nothing about algorithms, other than what they are, and certainly nothing about writing algorithmic app’s. It is though interesting to see the MRA owners tweak things within the app, based on feedback in the beta testing process.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom