New here, from Australia.

Jim Dow

Reaction score
I've read some articles on this and other sites re my bikes problem, but none were helpful.

I have an R1150 GSAdv, with 65,000 Klm on it.
Due to health reasons I have not ridden it much for several years, resulting in probable stale fuel in it. I replaced all fluids and filters, as well as emptied the tank, added fresh fuel as well as fuel conditioner.
The bike went very rough and would not hold an idle.
I had the injectors cleaned, which were "pretty dirty".
I blew out the fuel lines in case there was residue blocking fuel flow, but no problem there.
Following this the bike would hold a rough idle on the second position on the choke, and surged mildly at all speeds and rpm. It also had a white hot catalytic converter when warmed up and stationary.

I removed the cat and washed it out with acetone, which removed a fair bit of carbon. (I then rinsed it with water and used blowers to pressure evacuate the water)

After all this, on to the TPS. 2 volts instead of 3.8, across the far left and far right contacts, and a red hot catalytic converter. The bike was not warmed yet, registering only 1 bar on the temp gauge, but it would hold idle at the first graduation on the choke.

I had noticed when I took it for a run to hopefully blow the cobwebs out, that it seemed to be using fuel at an extraordinary rate. I dismissed this as probably and errant gauge, as I had opened the tank to replace the filter. I now realise that it is most likely over fueling, resulting in the said overheated cat.

I am at a loss, and don't know what to do next.
Help? Please. :)

the proper mechanics will be along , when they finish work.
never heard of washing the cat :cautious:
fuel usage ? stuck closed fuel pressure reg ?

where in Oz ?

Quite prepared to fly out and suck teeth & whistle ( at your expense ;) )

welcome to the forum :)

You've had the tank off; check the obvious first. A dislodged throttle outer (as pictured) by your Right knee.
7AD82E27-C386-42F7-8457-8F4D2D49B680.jpeg

You've had the tank off; check the obvious first. A dislodged throttle outer (as pictured) by your Right knee.
View attachment 267286

That must be the most posted photo on this forum. It's been around for 15 years or more I reckon.

That's about how long ago it was that it helped me with a similar problem :D

Welcome to the forum Jim :thumb2

Hope that between us we can help resolve the issue, and hope that getting the bike back on the road means that your health issues are under control now.

To be honest I have not looked at the throttle outer, and don't know how it would suffer dislodgement, as the bike was going well when I last rode it. I will certainly look at it. My logic tells me that a dislodgement may alter the fuel load, and therefore the rpm of the motor. Is that correct?
Thank you for the concern re health issues. Currently under control. :)

Oblertone you are a genius.
The sheathing was not inserted, lifting the cable by about 4mm.
Replaced same into the throttle mounting and 1) the bike started immediately, 2) smoothly, 3) Did not stall, 4) did not cook the cat. Sounds beautiful!
Now the TPS. The motor is idling at 1100 rpm with .6V on the TPS. Rotating it to the left, which increases the voltage to about 2V, makes the bike run rough. Rotate it to the right, which decreases the voltage, and the bike stalls.
The question is, do I follow this up, or do I ride the bloody thing, as it seems to be going well?

Oblertone name your poison.

Jim.

Not me old son, but all 1150 owners have suffered this issue; as to the other techno gibberish, just set it in the middle and ride it (y)

I hadn't hear of this before. I musn't have been paying attention to the repair gossip.
I still owe you a beer.
Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom