New to me: 1992 R80GSPD

sidkn33

Reaction score
I've just acquired a 1992 R80GS PD, originally registered in Switzerland and imported to the UK in the 2000s
Having bought it, I'm realising how rare this model is - there are very few images online that I can find, almost everything is about the R100GS PD.

Any other owners out there? Any info about this model and countries it sold in (other than Switzerland)?

I've been busy adding the dual headlight, Shock Factory shock, rear Hepco rack and a few other bits and bobs.
I also have an R100GS (non PD) and first thing I notice is that although there is obviously less power, the R80 feels more refined engine-wise and quite capable.
The R80 also feels lighter and being 6'2" I'm really noticing a big difference in boot room (and comfort) because of the smaller Bing carbs - I had to mod both gear and brake levers on the R100 because of where my boots were squeezed in and it's totally unnecessary on the R80.

My R100GS (Australian model) has a kick start also and it works.
What's your info source re power output on Swiss bikes? All I know is that the R100s (larger engines in general presumably) had far higher tax rates in Switzerland - hence the R80 was sold there.
I have a UK 1983 R80ST and if anything, the R80GSPD has more power, it certainly doesn't have less,
What it does have, is a "Secondary Air System" to reduce emissions - I have the original owner's pamphlet - see photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_121334.jpg
    IMG_20230926_121334.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230926_121343.jpg
    IMG_20230926_121343.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230926_121348.jpg
    IMG_20230926_121348.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 42
That's a nice bike - I have 1994 R100 GSPD that was a German Import. I've had it twenty years.

You need the HPE front brake disc.

We're all going to be spending your money. :D :D :D

be aware, Swiss versions will possibly be low power models....IE half the power of a UK bike
go and find a w/shop manual , Kawasaki ones are good , in the front there is a list of countries , with the specs for the bikes . OTTOMH , a zxr750 was 43 hp in swiss as opposed to 103 hp ? in english.
i have a customer with a swiss 1100 sport , it is very docile , his in/ex valves are smaller than uk ones and the hole in his silencer takes my little finger not my thumb.

first thing I notice is that although there is obviously less power, the R80 feels more refined engine-wise and quite capable.
I have owned R80s and R100s and in my opinion the 80 engine is smoother and just feels better balanced. Its a lovely motor.

FWIW my R100GSPD isn't rattly and is quite smooth.....but I'm not saying it's better than an R80. Ain't no substitute for cubes.

I’d say the 80 is smoother than the 100,
If it’s rattling there’s something amiss.
If you rode a tuned 100 with balanced /lightened crank/rods/pistons etc you would be turning your sofa upside down looking for dosh the missus couldn’t trace.

Not quite. I've had both - the ABM came on a bike, the HE I bought direct from the maker (he-supermotard in germany).
The HE kit as sold by SIebnrock, SWT and others for 300 Euro ish is a flat 320mm disc with adptor ring and longer bolts - which means its a hefty bit of kit, weighing the same as the original BMW item. Bit of a faff buying direct but IIRC it was quite a bit cheaper - and the money goes to the maker, a small manufacturer (might even be a one man band)
The ABM kit is a 300mm disc with an alloy carrier and no adaptor ring/longer bolts needed. and is probably the one I'd go for if buying again despite the slightly smaller disc diameter. Lighter/better looking piece of kit IMHO.
And if you want to use it with a four pot caliper ABM offer their own version. Uses a different mounting bracket to the one for the original Brembo P8. Caliper is a £300 option - but I'm pretty sure the dimensions are the same as the 40mm Brembo (P34?) caliper as used on many 1990's Italian sports bikes and still available new for reasonable money

Back
Top Bottom