New transalp

Got one late last year but have only put about 700 miles so far. Very happy with it. Had a few GS's and was looking for something lighter and lower. Don't see any issue with lack of torque or gearing, or the comfort of the seat. Great bike to ride and surprisingly lively for a 750, had a GS750 and this is a lot better to ride. Everyone looks for different things from a bike, best idea is to test ride and make your own mind up.

Try riding it in mountainous terrain and the lack of torque will be glaringly obvious .
I’m sure it’s fine for riding on the flat and nipping out for a coffee .
But as you say, people need to test it as we’re all different .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't ridden either but isn't the Suzuki geared shorter? If so maybe a tooth down on the Honda's cs sprocket would perk it up.

I haven't ridden either but isn't the Suzuki geared shorter? If so maybe a tooth down on the Honda's cs sprocket would perk it up.

No idea about the gearing but the Suzuki doesn’t feel shorter geared. It’s just got mid range grunt right where you want it whereas the Transalp makes all its power up,top, which is pointless on this style of bike .

Hot off the press, Ride have tested the two bikes , published in another thread but here’s the verdict , which is bang on IMHO.

d258857be2e8cd3b7c413189fb7d00d3.jpg

Just sitting on three side by side the DE feels like a bigger, noticeably heavier, more comfortable T700. The Transalp seemed like a 7/8 size Africa Twin with what appeared like much better weather protection than either of the others. I think the RE with 19"F, cast wheels, and larger shield may be the best of the lot for most people, if the suspension is compliant enough for gravel and dirt roads. IMO the Transalp really should have been designed more along the line of the RE and with cruise. I'm trying to recall, did/do you have a Tenere 700?

Just sitting on three side by side the DE feels like a bigger, noticeably heavier, more comfortable T700. The Transalp seemed like a 7/8 size Africa Twin with what appeared like much better weather protection than either of the others. I think the RE with 19"F, cast wheels, and larger shield may be the best of the lot for most people, if the suspension is compliant enough for gravel and dirt roads. IMO the Transalp really should have been designed more along the line of the RE and with cruise. I'm trying to recall, did/do you have a Tenere 700?

Never had a Tenere .
I think the Vstrom RE will be a belter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll book a weekend in Glasgow and Edinburgh test riding a few bikes

Try riding it in mountainous terrain and the lack of torque will be glaringly obvious .
I’m sure it’s fine for riding on the flat and nipping out for a coffee .
But as you say, people need to test it as we’re all different .

Well since i live in NE Scotland the roads round here are not exactly flat, plenty of twisty and hilly roads to enjoy the ride. And I don't like coffee! :DD

It seems to be the norm anymore but it's too bad when manufacturers design a pure street bike then decide to take that same exact drivetrain to make an adventure or dual sport bike with it. Given the popularity of adventure bikes now I'd think if they want to build a series around a "the same drivetrain for every model", they'd do so around one designed for their adventure bike and let the slower selling naked bike slightly suffer?
The Honda Hornet drivetrain may work great on the naked Hornet but is not ideal for use in a heavier adventure bike where you want good low rpm grunt and a fat mid range, coupled to a WR gearbox with a low first and tall 6th.

I spent Saturday and Sunday spinning around Gran Canaria on the new Transalp and I have to say I was much impressed with it as a general all purpose bike. I enjoyed it more than previous spins on the Yamaha T700 particularly on the short few kilometres of dual carriageway where I found the Yamaha somewhat buzzy and the Honda eager and comfortable and very capable. Much more comfortable seat wise than a similar few days on the Africa Twin also in GC. I must again try again the Aprilla Tuareg which I rode last year.
I wouldn’t be shy about owning one.
IMG_8206.jpg

The weather was stunning and the rental agency Canary Ride Las Palmas was rocking yesterday morning with bikes returning and going out. Only downside with GC can be hard to get to from where I am. My 2 cent on the bike, sorry for drifting off course on the topic.

Attachments

• IMG_8174.jpg
    IMG_8174.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 14
I spent Saturday and Sunday spinning around Gran Canaria on the new Transalp and I have to say I was much impressed with it as a general all purpose bike. I enjoyed it more than previous spins on the Yamaha T700 particularly on the short few kilometres of dual carriageway where I found the Yamaha somewhat buzzy and the Honda eager and comfortable and very capable. Much more comfortable seat wise than a similar few days on the Africa Twin also in GC. I must again try again the Aprilla Tuareg which I rode last year.
I wouldn’t be shy about owning one.
View attachment 304194

The weather was stunning and the rental agency Canary Ride Las Palmas was rocking yesterday morning with bikes returning and going out. Only downside with GC can be hard to get to from where I am. My 2 cent on the bike, sorry for drifting off course on the topic.

Interesting !
The Transalp was fine on the dual carriage way where you could get a bit of speed up but pretty crap elsewhere , IMHO.
Did you not find the lack of any midrange a pain in the mountains ?

You must have a different arse to me as I didn’t find the seat very comfortable at all . My wife hated the piliion seat .
Both rider and piliion seats on Africa Twin much more comfortable.

Might have said above , Canary Motorcycle Tours won’t be getting any more Transalps due to the poor reception it’s received from most who’ve ridden it . In fact they’ve just bought some new Vstrom 650s as well as one Vstrom 800 DE they got a good deal on.

Interesting !
The Transalp was fine on the dual carriage way where you could get a bit of speed up but pretty crap elsewhere , IMHO.
Did you not find the lack of any midrange a pain in the mountains ?

You must have a different arse to me as I didn’t find the seat very comfortable at all . My wife hated the piliion seat .
Both rider and piliion seats on Africa Twin much more comfortable.

Might have said above , Canary Motorcycle Tours won’t be getting any more Transalps due to the poor reception it’s received from most who’ve ridden it . In fact they’ve just bought some new Vstrom 650s as well as one Vstrom 800 DE they got a good deal on.

I was probably using the gear box more than if there was an abundance of torque but it was a lazy journey for me, I did not find it an annoyance. I was riding solo , SWMBO at home , and I would not be keen on using it two up in the mountains or anywhere more technical or demanding . I am sure it would be fine 2 up on regular roads generally where you are riding with a bit of momentum .

As for the seat I really found the seat on the three ATs I have ridden consistently uncomfortable ( 1 DCT, 1 standard, 1 AT Sports) . I stopped regularly to enjoy the scenery I might have a different experience if I have in the saddle for hours on end. Must try the Suzuki, an excuse perhaps subject to PP from de boss to try Canary Tours!

Another off road test. He seems to like it.
One thing he points out that Honda got right is putting WR transmission in this bike. Yamaha did not do so with the Tenere 700 and Moto Guzzi didn't with the V85TT or Stelvio either. A correctly designed adventure bike incorporates a wide ratio gear box.

One thing he points out that Honda got right is putting WR transmission in this bike. Yamaha did not do so with the Tenere 700 and Moto Guzzi didn't with the V85TT or Stelvio either. A correctly designed adventure bike incorporates a wide ratio gear box.
I’m with you on that. Much nicer box that my recent V85tt and previous 1200GS. He likes the quickshifter as well but I’m not a big fan of them in general. His biggest whinge was a lack of cruise control. These youngsters eh! It’s a mid range motorbike FFS.

I’m with you on that. Much nicer box that my recent V85tt and previous 1200GS. He likes the quickshifter as well but I’m not a big fan of them in general. His biggest whinge was a lack of cruise control. These youngsters eh! It’s a mid range motorbike FFS.

It’s a mid range bike without any mid range .

Sent from my N65

Now Arsey that's precisely what the gearbox is for!

Back
Top Bottom