Owning a bike located in a foreign country (ie. America)

camphair

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who has experience in owning a bike that they keep in a foreign country?
Perhaps someone with a second home in Spain, for example, who keeps a bike there, registered in that country, instead of riding/ shipping it there every time you go.
I've done a few trips with friends in the USA, and I've normally hired a bike, but the opportunity to own one in the US has arisen, along with storage, and I'm wondering about the pit falls of owning and insuring a bike there whilst not being a resident of the country.
Given that any insurance quote/cover I've looked at always has the rider in it that you must be resident in the UK etc I've a feeling that not being a resident could be a stumbling block.
Would interesting to hear if anyone has experience in this.

Ps this is not for travel insurance. But an annual policy that will cover me and the bike all year round. Regardless of how long I'm there for.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever the laws vis-a-vis Spain (or for that matter, Japan, The Central African Republic or Australia) I’d have an even bet that they’ll differ for America, just as they differ for the UK.

I have amended the title of your thread and highlighted the relevant piece in your post.

Last edited:
I owned a bike in the US while I was working over there, it was fairly straightforward compared to the UK but you do need a U.S. address to register the ‘title’ of the bike to. The ‘title’ performs a similar function to our V5 in the UK, but unlike a V5 it also registers you as the legal owner. Getting it insured was a breeze compared to the rigmarole we have to go through in the UK. Also worth knowing that depending on which state you register the title in you may have to pay a small annual property tax.

I owned a bike in the US while I was working over there, it was fairly straightforward compared to the UK but you do need a U.S. address to register the ‘title’ of the bike to. The ‘title’ performs a similar function to our V5 in the UK, but unlike a V5 it also registers you as the legal owner. Getting it insured was a breeze compared to the rigmarole we have to go through in the UK. Also worth knowing that depending on which state you register the title in you may have to pay a small annual property tax.
That's interesting.
Maybe not as complicated as I thought.
I'll definitely have an address where I can register the bike.
Thanks.

Have a look on advrider. There is a guy (Tuckers) in LA who locates and registers bikes for foreigners (obviously at a cost). He is originally from Lancashire but has lived in the States for 40+ years. It is definitely do-able and legal.

My nephew moved out to Mount Dora ,Florida about six weeks ago. He’s renting a house and he was renting a car. I’m sure he had to get an American credit card before he could buy a car, which he has.
I was thinking about this, a bike stored out there would be great.

I’ll ask him some questions…

My nephew moved out to Mount Dora ,Florida about six weeks ago. He’s renting a house and he was renting a car. I’m sure he had to get an American credit card before he could buy a car, which he has.
I was thinking about this, a bike stored out there would be great.

I’ll ask him some questions…
I'm not sure I would need the credit card as I would be buying from a private seller but thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom