Passport question.

Ex-Call Centre Chimp

I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Word up Comrades, I hope you and yours are all as well as can be expected.
My passport expires in the middle of May and I'm wondering:-
If I renew it now will it run until the middle of May 2034 or will the new one expire exactly 10 years after it's issued?
And......
Given that we're still part of the EU does my passport still need to have a minimum of 3 months left if I want to travel to Europe and would this be affected by me entering and exiting France via the U.K.?

I've tried looking on-line and failed to find conclusive answers to my questions.

As usual, many thanks in advance.

If the UK and Ireland work the same then, expires ten years from issue, and you need 6 months left on it to travel I believe.

I’ve just renewed mine that expires in April, new expirey date April 2034

..and in contradiction to Steve398s experience, I've just renewed mine that was due to expire in January 2024 and my new one expires 10 yrs after the latest issue date in late October 2033. (Only took about 3 weeks from start to finish includingthe week it took to get the 500 miles to mid France)

I’ve just renewed mine that expires in April, new expirey date April 2034
..and in contradiction to Steve398s experience, I've just renewed mine that was due to expire in January 2024 and my new one expires 10 yrs after the latest issue date in late October 2033. (Only took about 3 weeks from start to finish includingthe week it took to get the 500 miles to mid France)
Thank you both. Might I ask if these were both Irish passports and if so were they done on-line or in person within the Free State?
I'll understand if you'd rather not say.

The gospel according to the French government for Irish passport holders enetering Schengen for up to 90 days. My other half travels several times a year on an Irish passport and has never been asked for anything other than her passport.

(Obtained from https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/visa-wizard#/)

View attachment 292572
That seems more for a British passport holder.

I thought Irish passport holders, being citizens of the EU, are not subject to these restrictions - no matter where they enter.

That's why jacob rees mogg got one.

Irish citizens can get an ID style passport giving them unlimited access to the EU.

Am I mistaken in this belief ?

Last edited:
I have the credit card sized passport and it confuses the life out of many Border Force people, both U.K. and French.

The gospel according to the French government for Irish passport holders enetering Schengen for up to 90 days. My other half travels several times a year on an Irish passport and has never been asked for anything other than her passport.

(Obtained from https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/france-visas/visa-wizard#/)

View attachment 292572

Ireland is not a third country as they are a member of the EU. Irish citizens can live and work anywhere in the EU without the need for a visa.

You seem to have downloaded the blurb for British citizens, maybe those from Northern Ireland.

Ireland is not a third country as they are a member of the EU. Irish citizens can live and work anywhere in the EU without the need for a visa.

You seem to have downloaded the blurb for British citizens, maybe those from Northern Ireland.
Don't think so - Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen (neither are Romania, Bulgaria or Cyprus). The page I linked to is for anyone entering FR from anywhere - you just pick the origin country.

I have the credit card sized passport and it confuses the life out of many Border Force people, both U.K. and French.
Credit Card style Irish Passport

Feck...... I didn't know we had those available to us.

Also....

The fact Skeletor Mogg has an Irish passport irks me to my core.

I wish death to the skinny prick.

Sent with a Zen10

Don't think so - Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen (neither are Romania, Bulgaria or Cyprus). The page I linked to is for anyone entering FR from anywhere - you just pick the origin country.

are you suggesting that the holder of an Irish passport is subject to a 90 day limit in Schengen and needs evidence of a return ticket as stated in the list you quoted? Your list only applies to citizens of Third Countries as it relates to a form linked to from this page, for third country visitors, not EU citizens
Your arrival in France
Whether or not you need a visa, entry into the Schengen area of third-country nationals must comply with a certain number of conditions, as provided for by the European and national regulations in force.

The form you have used is irrelevant to the OP as the Chimp is an EU Citizen

are you suggesting that the holder of an Irish passport is subject to a 90 day limit in Schengen and needs evidence of a return ticket as stated in the list you quoted? Your list only applies to citizens of Third Countries as it relates to a form linked to from this page, for third country visitors, not EU citizens

The form you have used is irrelevant to the OP as the Chimp is an EU Citizen
Last time I checked for my other half she doesn't need a visa (as a 3rd country person would do) but has to register at the Prefecture for stays >90 days. The other stuff is straight from the FR system (and I've just done it again for a German and it gives the same answer!). However it doesn't avoid the fact that Ireland is not in Schengen so Irish people travelling inside Schengen areas are subject to different rules than those domiciled inside Schengen. It's confusing and even the Irish websites give conflicting/confusing info.

I renewed my Irish passport online recently and the new one was delivered within a week to the north of Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom