Pyrenees and Pico's opening times

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am sure it has been asked before, but I cannot find it.

I am wondering when the Pico's and Pyrenees open, and close for that matter, with regard to motorcycle use (non spiked tyres)

I know this is not an exact science and the opening times will not be as set in stone as they are for somewhere like Alton Towers, and they are just as likely to close unexpectedly at any time, but...

...there must be a time at which it is considered reasonable to set off, I know for the higher Alpine passes this is quite late around Mid June, but does the same apply for the Pyrenees and Pico's?

Thinking of early or late season trip to follow some or all of this:

http://to-vo.tourism-midi-pyrenees....-af86-f4036868fbce/fiche-itineraire-tovo.aspx

Late May / Mid September would work well if the roads are likely to be clear.

Mid-September is an excellent time to go. Just watch out for:

Cows sleeping on the warm road in the morning.

Suicidal Danish cyclists, descending silently in the mists.

Actually that's not a bad question and one possible answer came to me the other when I rode a gorgeous trail that crosses the 'watershed' between the north and south slopes - one of very very few! - for the first time in several years.

hw9.jpg

This time i spotted a sign prohibiting all vehicles from November 1st through to June 1st. Snow is the obvious reason but this trail is in a nature reserve where they have re-introduced bears from Croatia - in the Picos they have the native species, the Oso Pardo, still (just) so it might be the same there. I guess they can't be disturbed during their hibernation.

Most Spanish roads are kept open all year unless it's actually snowing - and sometime avalanche risk can close a pass for weeks at a time. But in France they don't bother with a lot of the minor passes and these can be blocked right up until the end of May.

There are several sites giving up to date info, I'll leave it to the French experts to recommend ones there but the Spanish Transport Department's site is excellent.

Regs

Simon

Sadly, as i write this a road in Zaragoza is completely closed due to a forest fire!

The time you are heading out should be all okay in the Pyranees. I've not seen anything closed due to snow in that time frame on the French side in three years.

Cows sleeping on the warm road in the morning.

Suicidal Danish cyclists, descending silently in the mists.

Not to mention cyclists of other nationalities, goats, sheep, donkeys, llamas*, ponies, horses, baby ponies, foals, pigs, dogs, cats, hill runners and ramblers. Sometimes more than one from the list at the same time.

You wouldn't want to get bored out on those winding roads, would you?

*Honest, I am not joking. Bloody llamas. On the road.

Ha ha, don't forget pilgrims in the Picos - on their way to Santiago de Compostela. A few years ago I whizzed around such a sweet bend only to find myself bearing down on a genuine Methuselah, complete with staff and long white beard, raising the staff in front of him to ward me off the ravishing virgins in close company, all with those long, meaningful stares . . . quite put me off me gaspacho it did :)

Regs

Simon

PS seriously, wild fauna and cattle are a genuine hazard . . .

The time you are heading out should be all okay in the Pyranees. I've not seen anything closed due to snow in that time frame on the French side in three years.

Not to mention cyclists of other nationalities, goats, sheep, donkeys, llamas*, ponies, horses, baby ponies, foals, pigs, dogs, cats, hill runners and ramblers. Sometimes more than one from the list at the same time.

You wouldn't want to get bored out on those winding roads, would you?

*Honest, I am not joking. Bloody llamas. On the road.

LOL...you forgot to mention the odd goose or three.....:eek:

:D

There are three things you must look out for on Spanish roads.
1, Cattle.
2, Cyclists.
3, Llamas.
4, ......
There are four things you must look out for...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom