Recommissioning a “ barn find”

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
Following on from the eBay R100 post ,I think this subject needs its own thread.
Obviously this is just my own opinion on the matter,but it is borne out from many restorations.
I have a huge issue with the type of recommissioning that consists of,a new battery,fresh fuel,and attempting to start the engine.
I’ll try and explain why.
Firstly
,the oil in the sump will over the years have settled out all of the dirt/carbon etc .
This will be sat in a thick solidified layer in the bottom of the sump,just waiting to be pulled into the oil strainer and oil pump.
Secondly,
Even in a nice dry garage the engine will suffer from condensation internally.
Air has a high moisture content.
The camshaft /cam followers can rust over time as the oil drains away and they dry out.
The same on the valve gear.
The piston rings can start to rust,as can the bores on pre nicasil engines.
The carbon on the piston crowns and combustion chambers eventually flakes off and sits around the rings which also holds moisture.
So as mateyboy cheers when the engine bursts into life on the eBay barn find that’s been sat in a shed for 20 years.
All of that carbon,rust and any other crap that’s found it’s way in will be washed into the sump,
Now although the oil pick up does have a strainer ,the oil filter is drawing up unfiltered oil which will wreck the oil pump and possibly damage the crankcase housing.
I never try to start or crank a motor that’s been sat for a long period.
I remove ,valve covers,cylinder heads and barrels.
I’ll also pop a conrod off .
Then I’ll drain the oil and remove the sump.
What happens next will depend on the findings,but I will know the state of the engine and won’t have caused any damage.
It’s not difficult or overly expensive to do the above.

Following on from the eBay R100 post ,I think this subject needs its own thread.
Obviously this is just my own opinion on the matter,but it is borne out from many restorations.
I have a huge issue with the type of recommissioning that consists of,a new battery,fresh fuel,and attempting to start the engine.
I’ll try and explain why.
Firstly
,the oil in the sump will over the years have settled out all of the dirt/carbon etc .
This will be sat in a thick solidified layer in the bottom of the sump,just waiting to be pulled into the oil strainer and oil pump.
Secondly,
Even in a nice dry garage the engine will suffer from condensation internally.
Air has a high moisture content.
The camshaft /cam followers can rust over time as the oil drains away and they dry out.
The same on the valve gear.
The piston rings can start to rust,as can the bores on pre nicasil engines.
The carbon on the piston crowns and combustion chambers eventually flakes off and sits around the rings which also holds moisture.
So as mateyboy cheers when the engine bursts into life on the eBay barn find that’s been sat in a shed for 20 years.
All of that carbon,rust and any other crap that’s found it’s way in will be washed into the sump,
Now although the oil pick up does have a strainer ,the oil filter is drawing up unfiltered oil which will wreck the oil pump and possibly damage the crankcase housing.
I never try to start or crank a motor that’s been sat for a long period.
I remove ,valve covers,cylinder heads and barrels.
I’ll also pop a conrod off .
Then I’ll drain the oil and remove the sump.
What happens next will depend on the findings,but I will know the state of the engine and won’t have caused any damage.
It’s not difficult or overly expensive to do the above.

Just for fun….this is the corrosive effect inside an engine (run on E10 we think. It is “supposed” to be fine with that) that has stood for only 7 months! Ignore the scuff marks, it’s a very big displacement motor running slipper pistons.

IMG_6603.jpeg

At the risk of blowing sunshine, Mikeboy is spot on.

G/S 800 sump.
20190806_153614.jpg

Attachments

• 20190806_153614.jpg
    20190806_153614.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 13
I know you had already replied to my original question on the R100 eBay thread, but thanks again for all your advice on this. I probably won’t go for this bike now. It’s too far away for me to just pop round and check it out, the dealer hasn’t answered my questions, and the price is too much for an unknown amount of work (emphasised by your post above). You’ve saved me from an expensive mistake!

Back
Top Bottom