Riding The WC Courtesy Bike

3 months in with 4800miles on the LC I'm finding myself using the bike more than I have any other bike I have owned which speaks volumes for everyday userabilty. With over 30 years riding and having owned over 60 different bikes mostly sport bikes, I found myself riding less and less miles until I bought my first 06 plate 1200gs 4 years ago, Immediately I realised why the GS was so popular. My 2nd GS was an 09 plate with a d cat Remus and remap at Hill Top (fantastic place to go for tuning) what a hoot! but I sold that and traded it in for Rally because I liked the look and was offered a good deal. I did have regrets a couple of months down the line and wished I still had the 09. I haven't had the same regrets about buying the LC and funny enough I don't seem to have many of the problems that you have had. No issues with indicators or side stand, 1st gear clunks but more than on the TC gearbox gets smoother as the miles add on, changing modes is easy, build quality seems pretty much the same as previous GS's. I prefer the finish on the TC exhaust, I would also prefer the older style tourance tyre (if it would fit) as I find the tourance Next follows road blemishes and wears quickly so looking for an alternative.
Only issue I have had with bike is premature wear of brake pads which the dealer didn't charge to replace, suspected faulty batch.
So yes I am very happy with bike fully expect teething problems along the way as with any new vehicle and can't wait to get back on it for any excuse.

You may well have larger hands than me, do you play piano by any chance? Seriously, there was no way I could reach the indicator switch without movement of the hand position as opposed to just the thumb.
The answer for me would be to go without the sat nav wheel , issue overcome.

Normal feet , I'm not a duck y'know! :D

Perhaps the side stand isn't an issue if a pair of Nike's finest are being worn but with a pair of W2's on , it made for a cumbersome ride. This bike is in the 'Adventure' sector and so my guess is that many owners will be wearing a heavier style of boot rather than a boot more suited to GSXR riders.
No problems with the W2 on an F800, no problem on a 1200GS, problem on the new bike, this suggests a design problem to me and one I have no doubt will be looked at by BMW in the future and redesigned.

This 'buzzy' feel is one of the reasons I offloaded my F800GS in favour of the 12GS. It felt frantic and encouraged a quicker ride. I have no aversion to riding quickly but I like the power to be there when it's called upon, not to feel that that is how the bike should be ridden. I also agree with your comments on the noise level. Hardly a whispering Boxer is it? I've got a bag of nails in the shed on the shelf that make less noise when shaken! ;)

Fair comment Geesse that you see my review as bias, though I don't. I had no reason, or preconceptions, as stated, to knock this bike other than a couple of visual things that didn't/don't appeal.
I don't feel there is anything unfair or harsh in not being comfortable with certain features that interfere with a safe/smooth ride. Using a gearbox and switchgear sit very high on my list of have to be right to like it pointers.
That I don't like certain aspects of the aesthetic design is neither here or there, harsh or unfair. It is merely an opinion and not one that forms a verdict on how the bike rides for me.

I'll say it again, I don't dislike the new GS but I don't like certain aspects of it, but more importantly it is not a bike I would want to own any time soon.

You are in fact correct to the point that the dealer did state they had neglected it by leaving it outside but down here in sunny Dorset it rarely snows, therefore we rarely have salt on the roads. I have owned countless bikes over the years and not all have had the benefit of overnight secure covered accommodation. I have only experienced the shoddy build materials on my last 2 bikes, a 600 mile demonstrator F800GS and my current 12GS.
I don't give a flying wotsnot that other owners have a garage to comfort their pride and joy, I don't, and my bikes tend to live outside.
I have a DR650 at home which looks better than a modern bike will look when that has lived the same life and reaches over 20 yrs of age.

This modern shite can't hold a candle to the longevity of older machines, that includes my current 1200. Although in fairness my 1200 is good shite because it rides without any bits and pieces getting in the way of a natural ride. :D

I guess this is the price we pay in the never ending search for the perfect bike at the perfect weight. To cut the weight of motorcycles so significantly as with the gap between the 11**s and 1200 and now the 1200 and the WC version can largely be put down to the continued downward spiral of build quality in the metals being used for construction.

I can grab two different specs of mild steel from work and put them both outside in the rain. One will have a rust layer on it overnight and the other won't.
I could then take the same spec as the piece that rusted and treat it to some anti-corrosion treatments which will then see the other piece corrode ahead of the crappy grade but treated material. It's not a difficult thing to achieve.

I guess this is a subject (materials) that has bugged me for a long time now and one I should perhaps accept as the norm for the modern day disposable society we live in. It isn't going to get better because principally we want lighter flashier toys that shout STOP - LOOK - BUY ME!

This may not bother you, it may not bother others, it bugs the heck out of me though. :nenau

I've seen plenty shity old 1150s and 1200s that look like they have been in a salt mine and some great ones too, treat it like shit and it ends up shit :rob

New bikes only lose money in depreciation anyhow, so why waste the money, spend it on trips instead like Micky does

Very true words johnny boxer. I tested 800 GSA and new 12 yesterday. The money it take me to change my bike would do some serious touring

New bikes only lose money in depreciation anyhow, so why waste the money, spend it on trips instead like Micky does

Very true words johnny boxer. I tested 800 GSA and new 12 yesterday. The money it take me to change my bike would do some serious touring

£3k to swap would give you (2) decent euro trips

£5k to swap would give you a Bilco stateside trip

Especially if the bike you already own is sound

Unless you're kidding yourself & are funding the cost to change on finance every month, for a toy that the majority only use from April to October

New bikes - waiting for accessories etc who wants the hassle & coupled with the trips back & forth to the dealer to listen to clutch/gearbox faults etc

WTF are you talking about "grow some balls and ride the thing"? I did ride the thing and it doesn't appeal with any real significance. Is that ok with you or am I supposed to be totally smitten because it's quicker than the previous model?

I test rode my 1200 and it appealed in a way that said to me sign the dotted line. The current bike has no such hold on me and that you can't comprehend that suggests to me that you have no clue what am unbiased report is and you wouldn't recognise one unless you were wearing blinkers.

Don't like my report? Grow some balls and swallow it, you'll still wake the following morning even if you do choke a little.

Now now , its only an opinion , touchy or what ..........I have also added that its a good report...just not for me ..the only way you could wake up an older 1200 is to put a grenade up its arse :comfort

Now now , its only an opinion , touchy or what ..........I have also added that its a good report...just not for me ..the only way you could wake up an older 1200 is to put a grenade up its arse :comfort

Funnily enough I thought the same when I read your original response.

Now then what's all this nonsense about waking a bike up? If you wanted a proper fast bike you are riding in totally the wrong category. Here....have a grenade! :thumb2

I don't need comforting thanks - if I wanted the WC I'd buy one...wouldn't I? :blast

the only way you could wake up an older 1200 is to put a grenade up its arse

S'funny how things quickly change from keeping up with sportbikes (the oft quoted well riden GS) to being yesterdays has been asthmatic auld lump......:augie

That's very true, and for a lot of people - a useful reminder to counter their initial desire for a new bike.......... :rob

Sometimes the heart wins though........... ;)

But - whatever floats your bike (so to speak) :thumb2

Al

£3k to swap would give you (2) decent euro trips

£5k to swap would give you a Bilco stateside trip

Especially if the bike you already own is sound

Unless you're kidding yourself & are funding the cost to change on finance every month, for a toy that the majority only use from April to October

New bikes - waiting for accessories etc who wants the hassle & coupled with the trips back & forth to the dealer to listen to clutch/gearbox faults etc

Jeez Jonny, wake up and smell the coffee. You sound so bl**dy boring!
:D

How is

Jeez Jonny, wake up and smell the coffee. You sound so bl**dy boring!
:D

Saving the money and doing a euro trip or riding across America boring:nenau I'd rather do that than own a brand new bike and ride it to the local bike meet every week. I thought about a new bike and in fairness decided to stick with my old 1150 because I can ride the crap out of it with some off road thrown in and with the money I've saved I can go for a two week holiday in spain dirt riding the mountains nr almeria with my son. Oh and I'll still have change to do the same next year and the year after:D the 1200 is good but its not that good.

Saving the money and doing a euro trip or riding across America boring:nenau I'd rather do that than own a brand new bike and ride it to the local bike meet every week. I thought about a new bike and in fairness decided to stick with my old 1150 because I can ride the crap out of it with some off road thrown in and with the money I've saved I can go for a two week holiday in spain dirt riding the mountains nr almeria with my son. Oh and I'll still have change to do the same next year and the year after:D the 1200 is good but its not that good.

Doing that and a new bike beats that if you can afford it though.

13 months and best part of 30k miles into a year off.. :augie

Would I change it for a WC? Hell nooooooo.. :beerjug:

S'funny how things quickly change from keeping up with sportbikes (the oft quoted well riden GS) to being yesterdays has been asthmatic auld lump......:augie

Reminds me of that thread where the fella couldn't believe that an 'old' 1200 two up could keep up with him on his lightning fast WC.. :D

Back
Top Bottom