Searching for a tent footprint.. Where to buy?

RD.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We have a few tents, a small geodesic dome Decathlon tent which I won in a competition, Robens Dreamer tunnel tent which is very spacious and has good hydrostatic head and I have recently purchased an inexpensive Berghaus Brecon - 2 people geodesic dome tent, which is supposed to be suitable for 4 seasons, although it's likely that I would only use it for 2 / 3 seasons.

Allegedly, the built in groundsheet is thin, so I have contacted both the manufacturer and stockist but unfortunately it appears that a footprint for this tent is not made.

I'm wondering if another manufacturer makes a hexagonal footprint to fit the Brecon or where I can purchase a hexagonal footprint to fit the Brecon?

Recommendations sought please.

Its probably not what you want, but i made my own.

just make sure the one you make is smaller than the base of the tent.

Reactions: RD.
Visit your local sailmakers, and ask them for a quote ,rip stop nylon isn't that expensive ,

failing that B&Q for a tarp

We have a few tents, a small geodesic dome Decathlon tent which I won in a competition, Robens Dreamer tunnel tent which is very spacious and has good hydrostatic head and I have recently purchased an inexpensive Berghaus Brecon - 2 people geodesic dome tent, which is supposed to be suitable for 4 seasons, although it's likely that I would only use it for 2 / 3 seasons.

Allegedly, the built in groundsheet is thin, so I have contacted both the manufacturer and stockist but unfortunately it appears that a footprint for this tent is not made.

I'm wondering if another manufacturer makes a hexagonal footprint to fit the Brecon or where I can purchase a hexagonal footprint to fit the Brecon?

I just use a cheap blue builders tarp of ebay, you can put eyelets in the corners to secure it - cheap as chips.

I use blue plastic dampproof membrane as a ground sheet for all my tents.
As said above just cut slightly smaller than the tent footprint.
The membrane folds and rolls easily. You can slide it into your tent bag or wrap it around the tent bag and secure with a strap or bungee.

Howzabout this? :nenau

HIKEMAN Camping Tarp Tent Footprint - Multi-Purpose Waterproof Outdoor Groundsheet, Hexagon Ground Covering Mat Tent & Awning Carpet For Camping Hiking Picnic (XL) https://amzn.eu/d/8br41iw

They do 3 different sizes too. :thumb2

Failing that I can highly recommend one of these. I have one to go under my Durston X Mid. Great quality and very small / light.
Clostnature Waterproof Tent Footprint for Camping - Ultralight Camping Tarp, Tent Groundsheet for Camping, Black Footprint for Hammock, Heavy Duty Tent Floor Saver - Storage Bag Included https://amzn.eu/d/i8GpAbO

Last edited:
Visit your local sailmakers, and ask them for a quote ,rip stop nylon isn't that expensive ,

failing that B&Q for a tarp
That's a good idea, I know a company on the South coast who has made me sails, spray dodgers and a boom cover for my early 1950s wooden sailing in boat.
I'll contact them for a price.

HIKEMAN Camping Tarp Tent Footprint - Multi-Purpose Waterproof Outdoor Groundsheet, Hexagon Ground Covering Mat Tent & Awning Carpet For Camping Hiking Picnic (XL) https://amzn.eu/d/8br41iw

Failing that I can highly recommend one of these. I have one to go under my Durston X Mid. Great quality and very small / light.
Clostnature Waterproof Tent Footprint for Camping - Ultralight Camping Tarp, Tent Groundsheet for Camping, Black Footprint for Hammock, Heavy Duty Tent Floor Saver - Storage Bag Included https://amzn.eu/d/i8GpAbO

That's brilliant, thanks. :thumby:

They're almost made to measure. 😁
I just need to find the dimensions of the Brecon and find the closest size footprint to match.

Just had a look at the dimensions of the tent and it's maximum area is 255cm x 225cm and the closest hexagonal tarp / groundsheet is the Medium which is the smallest size they have for sale on Amazon and that is 260cm x 220cm which is 5cm shorter one way and 5cm longer the other way, which is quite close to the size of the tent, so I probably go for it, unless I can find closer dimensions and perhaps with a better hydrostatic head.

The Medium sized groundsheet should do the job nicely. 😁👍🏻

just make sure the one you make is smaller than the base of the tent.
Once when camping with our Khyam Biker tent I was using a large piece of damp proof membrane, cut a bit large, as a footprint.
It rained overnight and the rain got between the sewn in groundsheet and the dpm. We were sleeping on classic lilo blow up airbeds so didn't notice a problem till the morning. The sewn in groundsheet took on the aspect of a waterbed with ripples!
Credit to the Khyam the inside of the tent remained dry.

tom

Once when camping with our Khyam Biker tent I was using a large piece of damp proof membrane, cut a bit large, as a footprint.
It rained overnight and the rain got between the sewn in groundsheet and the dpm. We were sleeping on classic lilo blow up airbeds so didn't notice a problem till the morning. The sewn in groundsheet took on the aspect of a waterbed with ripples!
Credit to the Khyam the inside of the tent remained dry.

tom
Yep
I did something similar years ago, only my tent at the time leaked.
luckily for me, i was packing to go home that morning anyway.

But i learned my lesson 👍

I had the same challenge with a Berghaus tent - they didn't do a footprint for it. I looked for the nearest shaped / sized Vango tent and bought a footprint for that. It does the job, it is slightly smaller than the tent and means the main groundsheet doesn't wear out.

Make your own out of a scrap of Tyvek if you can get some off a friendly builder or from a piece of heavy duty (blue) tarp.

The Vango Halo series have hexagonal footprints, might be worth checking out

Just had a look at the dimensions of the tent and it's maximum area is 255cm x 225cm and the closest hexagonal tarp / groundsheet is the Medium which is the smallest size they have for sale on Amazon and that is 260cm x 220cm which is 5cm shorter one way and 5cm longer the other way, which is quite close to the size of the tent, so I probably go for it, unless I can find closer dimensions and perhaps with a better hydrostatic head.

The Medium sized groundsheet should do the job nicely. 😁👍🏻

After some consideration, I decided to go with the Hikeman hexagonal groundsheet / tarp as posted by Udders.

I have not used it yet, but will do so on my next biking camping adventure.

Thank you to all those who made recommendations.
Cheers. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom