Some homework for PegLeg

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Next year, after we ride the DeutscheAlpen Tosser and the Austrian Romantic Road, I need to get back to Brittany either solo or with one or two in tow.
I’ve got two nights to do it in, though could do it with just the one night, but that would mean two 500 mile days on autoroutes which would be boring.
So, my initial idea is to blat on day 1 to near Colmar/Thannenkirch via the autobahn etc.
This would be 440 ish miles, leaving two days to ride the remaining 600 ish ideally via back roads.

So day 1 , just as far as Colmar as shown position 2

7aaff3ee8bcea480338a969d57799b09.jpg

Which would then mean the next 2 days could be spent avoiding autoroutes, with a stop half way so near Orleans ?

cde0256f79a3bbbfafd0f9b91f25ae83.jpg

Not that familiar with cutting across this part of France.
I know Colmar is pretty in places as have ridden through.
I’ve also stayed in Thannenkirch at Auberge La Meunière, so tempted to stop there.

Am I missing anything glaring or any better ideas ? Ta

Gien is nice. I used to work in Sully sur Loire, long time back, the riverside is pretty good around there. Orleans is a big conurbation, I wasn’t keen. The D roads through the forests were pretty straight, as I recall, maybe they were just the north-south ones, the riverbanks weren’t!

Gien is nice. I used to work in Sully sur Loire, long time back, the riverside is pretty good around there. Orleans is a big conurbation, I wasn’t keen. The D roads through the forests were pretty straight, as I recall, maybe they were just the north-south ones, the riverbanks weren’t!

Ta.
I plucked Orleans off the map as it was roughly half way . No need to stay there as such .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Here you go, Biggles.

Note:

1. Wessie is about right vis-a-vis about across to Chatillon sur Seine (a popular enough coffee / lunch stop if the times match) or thereabouts.

2. I have tried to stick near enough to the larger D and N roads, but it‘s only roughed out. Not least, Colmar to Quimper is about 750 miles, indirect. So you might well want to straighten some bits out.

Here you go, Biggles.

Note:

1. Wessie is about right vis-a-vis about across to Chatillon sur Seine (a popular enough coffee / lunch stop if the times match) or thereabouts.

2. I have tried to stick near enough to the larger D and N roads, but it‘s only roughed out. Not least, Colmar to Quimper is about 750 miles, indirect. So you might well want to straighten some bits out.

Very kind, ta.
Once I get to Quimper, how do I get to my house , which is over 90 miles away, near Loudeac ?

Hey, that wasn’t very bikermate friendly of me.

Here it is updated, Biggles. It’s reduced the total mileage to 630 from 750, which is nice.

Rather than Colmar, I suggest you stay in Obernail at the "À la Cour d'Alsace · Hôtel Restaurant & Spa" Great rooms and food. Also plenty of othe rgood places for grub. Obernai is not that far north of Colmar and good roads from there can join your intended route quite quickly.

Rather than Colmar, I suggest you stay in Obernail at the "À la Cour d'Alsace · Hôtel Restaurant & Spa" Great rooms and food. Also plenty of othe rgood places for grub. Obernai is not that far north of Colmar and good roads from there can join your intended route quite quickly.

Obernai (not nail) does look lovely. I was supposed to stay there for our group trip in 2020, in Hotel La Diligence in the main square but of course had to cancel.

I will add La Cour d'Alsace for places to stay as we will certainly be going back to Alsace in the near future.

Obernai is a good place to stop, especially the La Dilligence hotel. But it’s a dead hole on a Tuesday. If staying at the LDH, try for a room in the annex so you get private parking behind the gates.

Obernai is a good place to stop, especially the La Dilligence hotel. But it’s a dead hole on a Tuesday. If staying at the LDH, try for a room in the annex so you get private parking behind the gates.

Sounds like proper research is required before booking . Due diligence ?

Obernai (not nail) does look lovely. I was supposed to stay there for our group trip in 2020, in Hotel La Diligence in the main square but of course had to cancel.

I will add La Cour d'Alsace for places to stay as we will certainly be going back to Alsace in the near future.

Obernai is indeed a half decent place to stay, but can get pretty busy in the height of summer.

Obernai is indeed a half decent place to stay, but can get pretty busy in the height of summer.

we would go late May to early June is it gets too warm after then for some in my group, although in 2019 France had a 43C heat wave in early June which nearly did for the chap with roots in Tyneside.

Back
Top Bottom