Stainless disc bolts

steve g

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1150 Adv front disc bolts dont seem to be stainless and after many years are not looking their best. I often substitute OEM fasteners with stainless, however on suspension/brakes I am a little weary about making the correct choice.
A question for the knowledgeable amongst us, the front rotors use M8x20 dome head screws and don't look anything special. My question - would A2 grade be a suitable replacement? I see many suppliers offer stainless steel but don't specify what grade they are. Just concerned that I match the OEM spec ideally in stainless. Your thoughts please?

I have replaced disc retaining bolts on other bikes but preferred to use grade A4-80 with the same tensile strength as 8.8 steel/bzp, still not as good as the usual button grade of 10.9 but I felt ok about it.
Genuine items from Motorworks are only 1.85 each if concerned.

I have replaced disc retaining bolts on other bikes but preferred to use grade A4-80 with the same tensile strength as 8.8 steel/bzp, still not as good as the usual button grade of 10.9 but I felt ok about it.
Genuine items from Motorworks are only 1.85 each if concerned.
£3.40 odd for stainless each!

£3.40 odd for stainless each!
You have a 20 year old bike where the disc bolts have done their job, all be it, not looking their best.

Hyperthetically.
So if you were to replace the standard bolts with standard again. How long do you think it would be before those bolts were not looking their best again? At which point, say year 2040, would you still have the bike? would you even be able to get fuel for the bike?…… :nenau

You have a 20 year old bike where the disc bolts have done their job, all be it, not looking their best.

Hyperthetically.
So if you were to replace the standard bolts with standard again. How long do you think it would be before those bolts were not looking their best again? At which point, say year 2040, would you still have the bike? would you even be able to get fuel for the bike?…… :nenau
Good point - would I still be here!

Back
Top Bottom