Thoughts on the use of MRA on a trip.

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just returned from an 11 day trip to Northern Spain with two old friends Rosslare to Bilbao route. Having taken the free trial of gold MRA Routeplanner earlier in the year I thought it useful enough to stump up the Funds for lifetime membership even though I'm a fan of and user of Basecamp. We had accommodation for the first two nights of our stay in Potes and the Last night in Bilbao near the Ferry Terminal. The rest of the trip was devised on the fly according to whim, weather and how good the accomodation was.

One of the biggest issues of using basecamp on a trip for me was the requirement to cart a Windows device around with me if I wanted to change routes. I never did this (laptops are heavy and delicate) and instead I relied on creating multiple alternative routes and loading them on the device and/or modifying/creating routes on the device; which is tedious at best.

For this trip I had an Ipad, my Android phone and Asturias Cantabria - Michelin Regional Map 572. As it turns out we had two nights in Potes, Three in Cangas Del Narcea, another night back in Potes before returning to Bilbao. After first arrival in Potes we sat round a table with the map and created routes on MRA over a few beers for the next day......a pattern was set :) . Initially I used the Ipad which was great as you can see much more of the map. However, having the paper map a phone was sufficent to create routes on, as a map give an overview of the wider area and locations could be searched in MRA and linked together.

Conclusion in the future if I have a paper map I'll just use my phone. If for some reason I don't I'll take an Ipad.

I downloaded the routes created to my phone and transferred them to my Zumo XT via Garmin Drive then transferred them to another Zumo XT and Nav6 via bluetooth. I had no issues whatsoever with the routing on my Zumo XT (having taken time to learn how to avoid its foibles) On the last day returning to Bilbao (having reversed the first day route using MRA...it was even better in reverse) my friends XT did the RUT thing (I think it hadn't been switched on/aquired satellites) and was fixed during a coffee break using the active route method and restarting. The Nav 6 froze a few times??

All in all I really enjoyed having MRA for the trip. Flexible and easy to use even on a phone and operating system independant so can be used with a chromebook or Linux PC.......whats not to like?

That's one of the reasons i like it. On the fly i can go and edit my route/trip, send it to the Sat nav and crack on. Or as i usually do, create my route when i'm at my destination for the next few days and create my routes as i go - depending what i find. Whilst i prefer it on the iPad for the bigger screen, its just as easy on the phone.

Good to hear that it all worked well and that route creation on an iPad and / or phone worked well, too.

Last edited:
I've just returned from an 11 day trip to Northern Spain with two old friends Rosslare to Bilbao route. Having taken the free trial of gold MRA Routeplanner earlier in the year I thought it useful enough to stump up the Funds for lifetime membership even though I'm a fan of and user of Basecamp. We had accommodation for the first two nights of our stay in Potes and the Last night in Bilbao near the Ferry Terminal. The rest of the trip was devised on the fly according to whim, weather and how good the accomodation was.

One of the biggest issues of using basecamp on a trip for me was the requirement to cart a Windows device around with me if I wanted to change routes. I never did this (laptops are heavy and delicate) and instead I relied on creating multiple alternative routes and loading them on the device and/or modifying/creating routes on the device; which is tedious at best.

For this trip I had an Ipad, my Android phone and Asturias Cantabria - Michelin Regional Map 572. As it turns out we had two nights in Potes, Three in Cangas Del Narcea, another night back in Potes before returning to Bilbao. After first arrival in Potes we sat round a table with the map and created routes on MRA over a few beers for the next day......a pattern was set :) . Initially I used the Ipad which was great as you can see much more of the map. However, having the paper map a phone was sufficent to create routes on, as a map give an overview of the wider area and locations could be searched in MRA and linked together.

Conclusion in the future if I have a paper map I'll just use my phone. If for some reason I don't I'll take an Ipad.

I downloaded the routes created to my phone and transferred them to my Zumo XT via Garmin Drive then transferred them to another Zumo XT and Nav6 via bluetooth. I had no issues whatsoever with the routing on my Zumo XT (having taken time to learn how to avoid its foibles) On the last day returning to Bilbao (having reversed the first day route using MRA...it was even better in reverse) my friends XT did the RUT thing (I think it hadn't been switched on/aquired satellites) and was fixed during a coffee break using the active route method and restarting. The Nav 6 froze a few times??

All in all I really enjoyed having MRA for the trip. Flexible and easy to use even on a phone and operating system independant so can be used with a chromebook or Linux PC.......whats not to like?
I did a tour of the same area around about the same time as you. I used MRA to plan routes on the go using my phone. I took a USB C to HDMI connector and would plug my phone into the hotel TV. Then with a cheap bluetooth mouse connected to the phone it was so easy to plan and edit routes just like using MRA on a laptop. Even if you cant connect to a TV using the mouse with your phone makes it easier to position shaping and Via points. I had best results logging into MRA on a browser window as opposed to the App. Like you i would transfer to the Nav 6s via bluetooth from my XT. When done planning it meant i could watch Netflix and YTube on the TV... result.

I had best results logging into MRA on a browser window as opposed to the App

Always use the browser window version, in preference to the app, if possible (y)

Good idea on using the hotel TV screen, a phone to HDMI cable and a cheap mouse.

Never thought of connecting to tv using an HDMI cable. Is that feasible from an iPhone?
Though the newer iPhone 15 I believe is now USB-C so this wouldn't work with that

Never thought of connecting to tv using an HDMI cable. Is that feasible from an iPhone?
Likewise.

The only drawback that I can force, is the lack of keyboard to name the route/trip etc. Unless you stand 1-2m away from the front of the TV, and tap the keys on the phone. Otherwise it will have to be a long cable to stretch beyond couple of meters. Am I missing something here?

I usually bring my iPad with me, as it allows me to read magazines on Readly, as well as access other entertainment that I either have downloaded to, or able to stream through. .

Samsung galaxy s9 ultra is a great planning tablet.

Likewise.

The only drawback that I can force, is the lack of keyboard to name the route/trip etc. Unless you stand 1-2m away from the front of the TV, and tap the keys on the phone. Otherwise it will have to be a long cable to stretch beyond couple of meters. Am I missing something here?

I usually bring my iPad with me, as it allows me to read magazines on Readly, as well as access other entertainment that I either have downloaded to, or able to stream through. .

Surely you name the route on the phone first, then connect it to the TV?

I too use an iPad Pro, which is USB C. That being said, if I have the iPad, I don’t need the TV as a monitor.

I used to connect my old iPad to hotel TV’s and have a couple of different angle HDMI plugs, to make joining the cable easier, some hotel TV’s being awkward. I wasn’t using MyRoute then, so had never thought of using my phone and a lead.

Surely you name the route on the phone first, then connect it to the TV?

I too use an iPad Pro, which is USB C. That being said, if I have the iPad, I don’t need the TV as a monitor.

I used to connect my old iPad to hotel TV’s and have a couple of different angle HDMI plugs, to make joining the cable easier, some hotel TV’s being awkward. I wasn’t using MyRoute then, so had never thought of using my phone and a lead.
All true, but what about renaming waypoints?!
Anyhow, it is a minor problem, that is hardly worth thinking about. I was being pedantic.

I used to take my MacBook Pro with me, but ever since I purchased iPad Pro, I haven’t bothered to. iPad is really a great device to have, and so versatile, yet takes up hardly any space. Less space in fact, than an issue of Top Gear magazine or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom