Travel insurance on large motorcycle medical and bike repatriation

john gs1150

Reaction score
Just looking on here about medical insurance on a motorcycle. In 2022 I had medical insurance for the above. While touring in Norway I suffered a cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation, fortunately I was in a restaurant at the time. 2 people in my group knew CPR and attended to me, the restaurant had a dephibulator , that shocked me back to concesmes, I was then air lifted to Stravanga hospital. The Norwegian nhs then decided I needed an operation to fit an icd type pacemaker. They were given my medical insurance details, the insurance company was AXA,
AXA don't process medical claims they use a company called CEGA.
CEGA, cancelled my operation twice, putting a cardiac arrest patient under great stress.
Eventually icd pacemaker was fitted.
A gp was sent over from England to fly home with me on a commercial airline.
I had to wait 3 days in a cheap hotel for this to be arranged after being discharged from Stravanga hospital.
So you assume the insurance had paid for everything.
Not so after returning home , I was contacted by accounts department of stavanger hospital asking for a copy of my passport.
Naturally I asked why , they told me if not they would have to try and claim payment from CEGA/AXA, who were being very difficult.
It turns out that there is a reciprocal agreement between Norway and UK that we treat each others citizens, a copy of my passport would allow them to go down this road, so I sent them a copy also copy of my world wide health card, the replacement for the old E111.
So all AXA / CEGA really paid for was the 3 days in cheap hotel, the gp to come out from UK and accompany me on a commercial flight home, apparently cheaper than a Norwegian doctor.
Avoid AXA or any other insurance company that out sources medical claims to CEGA.
CEGA are a vial company who's only job is to settle a claim as cheaply as possible CEGA have an 86% dissatisfaction/ complaint rating on trust pilot. Your policy may say your covered medically for up to 15 million, but in reality they won't pay a penny if they can avoid it.
They claim their staff are medical personnel, but what medical staff would refuse an operation twice and stress out a cardiac arrest patient.
I went through CEGA's complaints process when I got home I was offered £250 in compensation, which I never took up.
To then put my life in danger was worth £250, tells as story to me does that.

I shall ever be endeated to the 2 guys that start CPR on me the restaurant for having a defib machine, the staff at Stravanga hospital , they all saved my life. And the reciprocal agreement between Norway and the UK.

I'd like to say the story ends there, but not quite I was insured for motorcycle breakdown with Carol nash, whole use AXA again. They refused to repatriate my GS as in their words it hadn't broken down.
But I couldntr ride it in Norway you can't drive or ride for 3mths after fitment of an icd pacemaker and in UK your license is suspended for 6 mths
I eventually got AXA to repatriate my GS by paying £1640 , pounds.
The GS was brought home by a multi drop courier, who they contacted, he was paid £1000, for the job, he was already in Norway, so. In reality AXA charge £640 for arranging it.
ie, send out an email tender and waiting for someone to accept it.

So until you come to presses a medical claim or breakdown claim you have no idea how you will be treated, but if either involves AXA or CEGA .
From my experience it will be extremely badly.

If anyone has had good reports for medical treatment via an insurance company, I would love to know the insurance company like wise any good reports for repatriation via a breakdown insurance company.

Enjoy your riding , ride safe, and I wish you all the best of luck, if you ever are unfortunate to have a medical or vehicle repatriation claim.
You never know how you will be treated until it happens.

As for myself I have recovered well and have my license back and an riding again

Stay lucky. .

Sounds a bit of a nightmare! I've used Aviva on a annual policy but never had a claim, but reviews were good

The E111 replacement only guarantees you cover to the same level as the locals get. You were lucky to be in Norway. Had it happened in a sub Saharan country, for example, the health system may not have been quite so effective.

john gs1150 - gosh, that was an awfully stressful experience. Yes, thank goodness that aid was at hand and that the hospital did well.

Insurance is always an unknown until claims time and I'm sorry that your circumstances were compounded by AXA's process.

Your experience encourages us to ask questions at the outset - although most telephone sales agents won't have a clue.

Hopefully, your post will flush-out responses that identify a great agency for the benefit of all on the forum.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
I have been treated exceptionally well by Axa, when it came to claims payments.

Whoever you are insured by *, there is a reasonable chance, the ‘mechanics’ of the claim (ie. helping you) will be dealt with by Europ Assistance, owned by the Italian insurance giant, Generali.

* A lot of the products are just a branded jacket, wrapped around an insurance policy.

If anyone has had good reports for medical treatment via an insurance company, I would love to know the insurance company like wise any good reports for repatriation via a breakdown insurance company.

Two very different products.

On the latter, I have been treated very well by the branded BMW recovery thing, underwritten at the time by Allianz, I think it was.

On the former, ZurIch, who sat behind my AA branded Travel insurance, were very good. As were, Axa. Chubb, who sat (or maybe still sit) behind my HSBC branded Travel policy. Chubb also sits behind my employer’s Business Travel cover, with Axa sitting behind our private medical insurance. The latter has been very good vis-a-vis my ruptured Achilles.

Firstly I would like to say "Glad you are ok" .. good for everyone who helped you out.
Very interesting read about the subsequent hoo ha with your claim and the bike repatriation. I have the BMW warranty which I took out thinking it covers "everything" .. I shall go and take a closer look !

I have the BMW warranty which I took out thinking it covers "everything"

No insurance policy covers ‘everything’. Not least as nobody would pay the ‘rip-off’’ premium if it did *. That being said, good policies will give you a lot of very good protection and help, just when you need it most.

* You can see a typical problem in the opening post. It seems that the fellow fell seriously ill (a medical problem) and, understandably, he wanted his bike recovered. He turned apparently to his breakdown insurer to recover it. But the bike itself had not broken down (it was mechanically fine) it was he - not the bike - which was bust. In short, understand what it is you have bought by way of insurance and what it is you want to claim for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom