Travelling light / washing and drying your kit on the go

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Shamelessly nicked from TMF.

I’ve always used a towel if washing undercrackers on the go but didn’t know about the rolled up method . Might be of use to some.

Here’s a link to the Rohan underwear.
I’ve just ordered some boxers with 25% off

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Last edited:
Not a great photo but this was one of my improvised clothes drying arrangements on a Spain trip

View attachment 299369

I’ve got one of these

a8f00d62ce24dad79594b73663ff824e.jpg

Yet to use it though

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Have put my washing in a mozzie head net & bungeed it to the top of my luggage on the bike in the past which has helped to dry it out ( when not raining obviously).

I put the clothing in the towel so that it's in the longer way, stand on one end, then twist the towel like a tourniquet. Gets a lot of water out.

I learnt the towel trick from my mum as a kid. She would do it with the towel rolled from the long side. I was roped in to hold one end and she held the other. We then twisted in opposite directions.

Isocool t shirts from Mountain Warehouse are good for rinsing out in the hotel and drying overnight.

buy tshirts and undercrackers from MATALAN OR PRIMARK, cheap as chips, throw them away after use :cool:

I’m often astounded by how quick Helly Hansen stuff drys either on the body or off (y)

Outdoor shops sell a 'travel' washing line - two pieces of twirled elastic string with hooks on either end. The clothes can be hung by pulling them through the strings or draping over the washing line. Usually easy enough to use the hotel or shower to hang the wash line.

Tend to wash my clothes in the shower, plug in, some liquid detergent and leave for 1/2 hour. Shower makes it easy to rinse e.g stick the shower head inside the socks

Last edited:

I've got several pairs of their boxers. The waist elastic doesn't stand up terribly well to washing in the machine.

Shamelessly nicked from TMF.

I’ve always used a towel if washing undercrackers on the go but didn’t know about the rolled up method . Might be of use to some.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
That's an old trick. Works though.

Two things to add:

1. If you buy the Rohan underwear, you never need the towel trick. They dry in 2-3 hours anyway, as do their t-shirts.
2. Be aware that if you use the towel method too vigorously on your expensive and delicate Icebreaker merino t-shirts, it will quite quickly trash the delicate collar area and you'll end up with a baggy neckline.

you could buy army 10 day pants.

So that's the origin of "Pongo" :DD :DD
I would imagine it was long before that and to do with brewing and part of a still

Back
Top Bottom