Typical newbie question for a R1250 GS...

Martylaa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all, so i've managed to buy a lovely 2021 R1250 GS TE, i'm getting home next week and then delivery is the next day.

Basically gents, i'm looking at what upgrades to get, now i realise some are personal but are there any other essentials needed?

I've already managed to snag a Nav 5 satnav, a VRA screen (prefer these over the standard one), going wth the givi topbox and mounting plate and i'm seriously thinking about getting an Akrapovic slip on (still undecided on whether this is an essential upgrade)?

Anything else that you can think of that can improve the day to day running of the bike?

Morning all, so i've managed to buy a lovely 2021 R1250 GS TE, i'm getting home next week and then delivery is the next day.

Basically gents, i'm looking at what upgrades to get, now i realise some are personal but are there any other essentials needed?

I've already managed to snag a Nav 5 satnav, a VRA screen (prefer these over the standard one), going wth the givi topbox and mounting plate and i'm seriously thinking about getting an Akrapovic slip on (still undecided on whether this is an essential upgrade)?

Anything else that you can think of that can improve the day to day running of the bike?

You definitely need a Rallye seat and HP levers. Oh look in the for sale section :D:D:D

Do you mean the MRA screen (not VRA)? Yes, it's an improvement if you're a shorter rider. Not so sure if you're 6ft plus. Then a touring screen like the Puig might be a better choice.

As for other add ons, best thing is to just ride the bike and work out what you want, otherwise you're just heading down the bottomless pit of the farkle route.

Essentials as far as i'm concerned are the mug sling and crud catcher, rad guards, sump bash plate and centre stand bash plate, handguards if not already there), front fender extender, frame bungs, crash protection on the heads (machine art are my favourites) and that's it.

As has already been mentioned i'd say a mudlsing should be a definite, i'd go front and back to protect the engine front as well as the spring. If you dont want to pay the eye watering costs of machineart moto stuff (its good quality though) you can either settle for a cheaper copy or look in the for sale section on here as they do come up.

I'd also give indicator protections a thought, they snap like they are made of chocolate if your a clumsy oaf like me. I have them fitted to both front and back and its saved me a few times when i've brushed past in the garage.

Enjoy perusing nippy normans website there's hundreds of parts to festoon your bike with.

If your planning some winter riding then for me ACF50 is a must as its always served me well on any bike i've ridden in winter. I've seen the gritter out a few times already where i live so the salt seems to be down already in some parts.

thinking about getting an Akrapovic slip on (still undecided on whether this is an essential upgrade)?
I think this as essential, and they arent that loud, but lighter and more aesthetically pleasing (imo).

+1 for mudsling on rear and mudguard extender on the front... I purchased via the combo deal at Nippy Normans NN Combo Deal

As much as the akros are nice to look at they are only 500gms lighter than a stock can.

As much as the akros are nice to look at they are only 500gms lighter than a stock can.
That should shave at least a micro second off the 0 - 60mpg time. :D I have one fitted to my 1250, but I was fortunate that it was part of the build when ordered by the previous owner. I would also add the frame infill panels.

The bits I put on mine are as follows:
Front mudguard extender
Crud catcher
Mudsling
Handguard extensions if you ride in winter
Hex ez can that powers
Extra horn
2 chanel bike cam
Front aux lights &light bar

Screen angels TFT screen protector
Rad guards

Forgot MachineArt X heads or crash bars depending on your preference

Last edited:
I've had mine a few weeks, personally wouldn't bother with the exhaust. I think the OEM note is pretty solid.

Before mine arrived I'd bought, handguard wind extenders,rear mud guard extender, front engine guard aluminium, rad protectors,Copy of quadlock phone holder with damping, engine head protectors copy of wunderlich. All from Ali. I then bought grip puppies and givi rear plate for GS as have a 47lt box already.

At this point that's enough for me. ACF50 for the weather is priority from now out this season.

Standard zorst is plenty, and offers slightly less drone on tour compared to the Akra.
Yes - Mudsling front/rear.
Yes - Indicator guards on rear especially.

Everything else is subject to your physical build/preferences/ability to stay upright!

Essential: Engine protection bars and auxiliary LED front lights, full set of Vario panniers and topbox

Not Essential: Akrapovic, the extra noise will annoy you on long trips, assume you will be doing some long trips.

as has been said the mudsling stuff/indicator protection/cylinder head protection

roadlok
3m Ventureshield - easy to apply
different seat
adjustable pegs

Thanks all, so i've purchased frame bungs, rear mudguard protection. footrest extender and some evotech bits as wee as the other stuff i've already bought, cant ewait to get the bike kitted out this week when i get home and then spend the rest of the time bedding in those tyres and getting some miles on it...

Back
Top Bottom