Wapping's Wanders Five - 30-31 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
I plan to repeat the apparent success of a two day jaunt I conducted for some bods just recently. If anyone wants to join me they are welcome.

DETAILS

(A) When?

30 JULY Train out on Saturday morning, probably at about 07:20 (to be confirmed)

31 JULY Train back on Sunday evening, probably at around 19:20 (to be confirmed)

(B) Where are we going?

Two loops.

(i) On day one, a northern loop out from Calais and then down to the Baie du Somme. Roughly 180 miles

(ii) On day two, a southern loop and then back up to Calais. Roughly 200 miles

I clocked up just under 480 miles from my front door in central London and back again.

(C) Roads?

A good mixture of just about every type of road you will find in France (other than true mountain hairpins, though there are some pretty tight bends). Nothing you could not manage on a Fireblade, a GS or a pushbike. The vast majority is on rural French D roads.

(D) Suitable for?

Anyone who has passed their bog standard motorcycle test at some point in their life.

(E) How long will each leg take?

I did both legs on my own in a day. But.....

On my last jaunt I had 10 bikes. We did not go mad. Two decent length coffee breaks on both days and a reasonable lunch break on both days, too. We got to the hotel at around 19:30 but this included: An hour delay on the train out (due to a breakdown in the tunnel and then some pea brained feckwhit deciding to have a cigarette, so setting off the fire warning in the driver's cab and all the internal partition doors defaulting to shut, delaying our getting off) and then an hour delay to fix a 1200 GS's fuel pump controller on the roadside. We didn't rush.

On the second day we left the hotel at 10 AM and were in good time for the 19:00 train.

In short, they are full day's rides but easily doable.

(F) Navigation

I will provide full Garmin routes for both legs. I will also provide route cards in Excel.

We will use the 'drop-off' marker system. The 10 bikes stayed together no problem, including three detours necessitated by country road closures.

(G) How many places?

More than anything this will be dictated by the number of hotel rooms we need.

Let's say, 10 bikes (pillions welcome) to make it manageable. First come first served basis.

Please ping up replies on this thread BY NEXT WEDNESDAY EVENING and indicate if you are happy to share, please.

(H) Where will we be staying?

Hopefully, if I can get the rooms, at: http://reservation-hotel.logishotels.com/jreservit/fichehotel.do?langcode=EN&hotelid=2508

It worked fine last weekend. I plan on making a provisional reservation for us today, just to make an entry on the hotel's books.

Richard

Do we or don't we--------------We do:thumb

Two to go mr & mrs brummie, any excuse to get and about.

Excellent.

If there are just a few of us I may change the hotel.

Watch this space.

Richard

Richard

Checked on the tunnel, appears the time slot we are interested in are soldout.

Terry

Thanks for that, as I had not looked yet. I will get on the case ASAP.

Having a lot of problems with my BT connection at the moment.

Richard

Bloody hell, they are, too.

Right-ho, we now have a choice:

Boat

OR

Later train around noon

OR

Spend silly money just to get a train ticket, which I am not going to do just for a jaunt.

I will look at the boat times this evening, assuming BT fix my phone line.

A later train can work, I will just have to look at amending the northern loop.

More later! :thumb2

Richard

Ball-park costs please?

Last weekend cost me....

Two tanks of fuel.

Two Coffees 4eur
Two Red wines and a Burger 7eur
Hotel single room plus half a litre of wine, glass of cognac, the most expensive of the three menu choices and a coffe in the morning... 98eur
Coffee at morning stop 2euro

add in the price of yoiur boat / train

HTH

Good fun and quite a cheap jaunt too:clap

Last weekend cost me....

Two tanks of fuel.

Two Coffees 4eur
Two Red wines and a Burger 7eur
Hotel single room plus half a litre of wine, glass of cognac, the most expensive of the three menu choices and a coffe in the morning... 98eur
Coffee at morning stop 2euro

add in the price of yoiur boat / train

HTH

Good fun and quite a cheap jaunt too:clap

Thanks Richie - just spoken to his Wappingness. On a bit of a budget at the mo' so may need my best negotiating skills to get this by the War Department!

Good stuff.

I need to sort out how we can best make the crossing. More later.

Richard

OK

I have had a look at the alternatives.

I now favour a later train, with a shortening of the northern loop.

The first day can still work well, whilst the second day (the better* of the two, anyway) can stay unaltered. Let me just do some work on the day one route and look at the definite train times and I'll be back to everyone this evening.

Richard

*A relative term, as the northern loop is good, too.

Booked the train.

SATURDAY OUT: 12:42

SUNDAY BACK: 19:42 (We came back on the 19:20 last time)

£28 return.

The train out arrives at 14:17 so we will probably be on the road at about 14:30.

I suggest everyone bring a packed lunch to stuff down their gregory on the train.

I will work on amending the northern loop and then get us down to the hotel (via the Baie du Somme) by about 18:30 or there abouts.

Richard

Here are (near enough) the routes I hope to take.

(1) & (2) GREEN Day one. The route down to the hotel. I broke the route at Pointe du Hourdel so as to avoid having a loop in the route, which confuses some GPS devices.

(2) & (3) RED Day two.

I hope to make a recce of the day one route before we go.

Richard

Attachments

• Two day ride EAMG 30-31 July 2011.zip
    83.9 KB · Views: 46
Hi wapping

Sorry buddy going to have to dropout of this little jaunt.:tears needs to be two full days to warrent the travelling. Maybe next time.

Terry

OK, Terry, that's not a problem. I have some bods from another site coming, anyway.

Looking forward to the next one :thumb2

Wapping's Wanders Five - CLOSED

I have generated enough bods from another site.

Thanks to everyone for their interest :thumb2

Richard

PS Charlie, I have held you a provisional space open if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom