Wheel painting.. can you save the bearings?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of removing the crap paint from my wheels this winter and getting a nice dark metalic grey gloss on them to make them easier to clean.

Thinking powder would be the best, but is there a way to remove the front bearings without damaging them, or do you have to drift them out on the inner race? (which will render them useless)

Sorry, I've never even tried to remove the bearings without replacing them and I am not aware of any way to do it, but I am curious why you'd bother, really? If you look at some quality bearings from SKF, NTN or KOYO from simplybearings or Henderson's (or others), you can get them for shitpence. And you are likely to get better bearings than original ones. Some guys change the bearings at the same time as tyres. The dust-seals are annoying as they usually also need replaced...
Good luck anyway.

Thinking of removing the crap paint from my wheels this winter and getting a nice dark metalic grey gloss on them to make them easier to clean.

Thinking powder would be the best, but is there a way to remove the front bearings without damaging them, or do you have to drift them out on the inner race? (which will render them useless)

I am having a set of GS wheels powder coated gloss black this week. Purchased a set of new bearings for 13.50 delivered including dust covers.
Not worth saving in my opinion

To remove them you will need a bearing puller and possibly supply some heat which may degrades the grease. Leave your existing bearings in, when they heat the alloys up the bearings will fall out but will be fucked:D

I am having a set of GS wheels powder coated gloss black this week. Purchased a set of new bearings for 13.50 delivered including dust covers.
Not worth saving in my opinion

To remove them you will need a bearing puller and possibly supply some heat which may degrades the grease. Leave your existing bearings in, when they heat the alloys up the bearings will fall out but will be fucked:D

Sounds interesting.. where did you get them from... we have an account with Bearing services and 50% discount, so no problem there, but what are the dust seals? :D

Do yourself a favour and go to your local engineering shop and buy some proper bearings like SKF etc.
They wont be any more expensive and will be made from good quality steel and not the crappy stuff those koyo bearings are made of.
From a engineer with 35 years experience ����
Just take an old one with you and they will sort it for you.

When removing the bearings from alu-hubs of any kind, you HAVE TO warm up the hub prior to pulling out the bearing. If you drift the bearing out cold you WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE to the hub. The bearings will then come out in good condition.
But even so, never re-insert old bearings if at all avoidable. After all, a bearing is a wear-item, and the wheel bearings come cheap, so replacing them with new ones is a no-brainer...

Do yourself a favour and go to your local engineering shop and buy some proper bearings like SKF etc.
They wont be any more expensive and will be made from good quality steel and not the crappy stuff those koyo bearings are made of.

I have run my own bearing Company for the last 30 years in Hapton, Burnley, so feel free to dm me with the references required. 50% discount sounds good but its not. The list price system is a joke in the industry and pop metrics we sell normally at list less 90%.
Feel free to contact me for advice as i dont charge for talking blunt ��
Dan.

I have run my own bearing Company for the last 30 years in Hapton, Burnley, so feel free to dm me with the references required. 50% discount sounds good but its not. The list price system is a joke in the industry and pop metrics we sell normally at list less 90%.
Feel free to contact me for advice as i dont charge for talking blunt ��
Dan.

As a company, we don't buy a lot right now, but I do know with INA bearings when we did have volume, there was a max discount they could apply in Europe. I could actualy buy them in China (same INA bearing made in Germany) and inport them for about 1/2 price we could buy them here.
How does that work! European company giving the advantage to China. disgraceful... Needless to say I won't buy INA now, but guess they are all at it! :mad:

Like many say, heat gun hub, bearing come out, new bearing 1 hour in freezer in plastic bag, re-heat hub with gun bearing go in very easy.

I've worked with SKF for many years in Aerospace developing mini ballscrews, and they do have their faults, but probably up there as one of the best for sure :)

Like many say, heat gun hub, bearing come out, new bearing 1 hour in freezer in plastic bag, re-heat hub with gun bearing go in very easy.

yup... just pulled the bearings from my Hog the same way.
We had to fit a speedo drive the the output gear on my mates a few weeks back. the ring gear it about 3" diameter but very thin. Put the rather large part its going on in the freezer overnight and the new ring gear in the oven, they just fall into place. but you have to be quick and accurate as there is no way other than smashing the thing, of getting it off if wrong. At £75 a time you don't want to be doing that too much :D

yes, a bit of heat always helps ;)

That is interesting. [I know nothing about actual bearing industry, so here to learn not to argue :) ] "prefer" SKF as they seem to be widely available from the websites like simplybearings and such likes; but I always thought KOYO are "up there" with them, NTN, FAG, Timken and the likes, as a "premium brand". I read somewhere that it is all about tolerances to which they are made, and am aware that motorcycle wheel bearings are not as demanding as some other applications (in terms of RPM, mass being moved about, etc..).

So, why do you not rate Koyo as inferior to the others?

Cheers.

Did you know bearings come in grades also :-

Grade......Sphericity [mm]........Lot diameter variation [mm].....Nominal ball diameter tolerance [mm].....Maximum surface roughness (Ra) [µm]
3..............0.00008...................0.00008....................................0.0008....................................................0.012
5..............0.00013...................0.00013....................................±0.0013..................................................0.02
10............0.00025...................0.00025...................................±0.0013...................................................0.025
25............0.0006.....................0.0006.....................................±0.0025...................................................0.051
50............0.0012.....................0.0012.....................................±0.0051...................................................0.076
100..........0.0025.....................0.0025.....................................±0.0127...................................................0.127
200..........0.005.......................0.005.......................................±0.025.....................................................0.203
1000........0.025.......................0.025.......................................±0.127

But for Motorbike we'd just use the std ones..... and beyond this you get the materials also... very interesting subject bearings :)

That is interesting. [I know nothing about actual bearing industry, so here to learn not to argue :) ] "prefer" SKF as they seem to be widely available from the websites like simplybearings and such likes; but I always thought KOYO are "up there" with them, NTN, FAG, Timken and the likes, as a "premium brand". I read somewhere that it is all about tolerances to which they are made, and am aware that motorcycle wheel bearings are not as demanding as some other applications (in terms of RPM, mass being moved about, etc..).

So, why do you not rate Koyo as inferior to the others?

Cheers.

You are indeed quite correct, Koyo are a very good brand with great quality control. The biggest issue though these days is fraud by fake branding. It is rife online and you need to be very careful for what you see is not always what you get. FAG were recently considering microdots on all bearings as a security check that they are indeed FAG.
Seems a little extreme but as an example.

A standard sealed bearing, 6205-2rs. 25x52x15. In SKF or FAG etc, about £6
The same bearing in an Eastern brand, often unmarked or with very little on it, i could sell out at 50p and still make a profit.

The danger here is that for a little investment in a looky likey box etc. I could offer a chinese bearing for £4.50 ish. Sounds a great deal for a ‘branded’ bearing.
My advice is to find a local, reputable bearing stockist and deal face to face. If in-doubt over the brands, a list of decent quality both Euro and Japanese follows, not exclusive, but as many as i remember just off hand.

SKF, FAG, INA, TIMKEN, RHP, NKE, SNR, NTN, KOYO, NACHI, KSM, ( RHP is Ransome, Hoffman and Pollard, three companies who joined up in the sixties, there are still many bearings out there new old stock, but they are old. Not a problem if in perfect nick, but check them carefully )

BUT REMEMBER, THE NAME NEEDS TO BE ON THE BEARING, NOT JUST THE BOX.

D

Sounds interesting.. where did you get them from... we have an account with Bearing services and 50% discount, so no problem there, but what are the dust seals? :D

The dust seals are simply oil seals. OD, ID and depth. That's all you need for replacements

Thank you Cap'n. Very good points and very informative post. It really is amazing what would be counterfeited these days... I still think money, tatty designer goods and watches when someone mentionescounterfeit, but I suppose anything that can be sold for more could be counterfeited...

Anyways, that is the reason I never bought bearings from ebay. Not sure if we have a merchant up here in Edinburgh, but would defo prefer that. Will look up next time. Or if you have an online shop, please give us a link and I'll bookmark for next time.

Cheers.

Sorry, i dont do the online shop thing, i am so busy tbh the last thing i need is an extra 100 emails a day ��
If any of you wants to contact me at work, look at. Www.john-fenwick.co.uk give me a call and ask for Darren.
Bearings, oil seals etc. Mention uk gser and that its for yourself and i promise to look after you.
D

Back
Top Bottom