Wrynose & Hardknott 16.03.2003

Shaunie

Reaction score
Just a quickie.

Jim, really sorry U couldn't come along as planned.
Top bloke for turning up to see us off.

Thanks Fritz for getting us there...and back...more or less.
Still, how were U 2 know you'd need a map?

Tony & Jezza, nice 2 meet U both.

Didn't really enjoy going over Wrynose & Hardknott 1st time (scared shitless actually) but coming back I was a little more confident (a pint of Guinness works wonders) and found it very pleasant.

A good day out, only partially marred by hordes of daytrippers in cars. Glad I went. Everyone else will probably have to wait until August for weather that good.

wrynose & hardnot

The last time I did these was in september last year. Bloody great roads. The only problem was I had the wife on the back and she wasn't impressed. In fact she was scared sh**less .I had to stop between the two so she could have a good blub and calm her nerves, and was mighty pissed off to learn that the only way out of the area was to go back over the hardnot or over the wrynose. he , he. I thought it was great......next time I do these I shall be solo so I can get some steam up. I cannot recommend this for a ride out enough.

Slow driving, bobblehatted tourists do clog it up though in the summer, you don't want to have to stop on one of the hairpins due to a blocked road.ba****ds.

Marcus.

that there ride over hardknott

On Sunday, 16th March, four of us went for a first-rate trundle over the Hardknott & Wrynose pass, Fritz lead the way. What a cracking ride that was. After a brew in the French-run café, we left Hawes and rode through the beautiful Yorkshire Dales national park then onto Kendal. From there we took the A591 up the East side of Lake Windermere to Ambleside followed by the A593 to Skelwith Bridge then the B5343 to Wrynose Pass. Fritz nearly got taken out when a race-rep came charging around a tight and blind bend on the wrong side of a narrow, stone walled lane.

The weather couldn’t have been better. The riding was steady if a bit challenging at times. We stopped at an inviting pub called The Woolpack, which is about half way along the Hardknott Pass, where we heartily scoffed excelled food for about £8 per head. From there we went through Santon Bridge and onto Gosforth. Here we took some road or other, I can’t recall the name, which took us through a tiny place called Wellington then back to Santon Bridge. Being gluttons for punishment, we went over the Hardknott & Wrynose again in the opposite direction, then back to Ambleside.

From here, the poesy headed North up the A591 towards Thirlmere. I left the group here at about 5 o’clock and headed home in time for tea.

What an ace day out that was; the essence of motorcycle ownership! Cheers Fritz for being the front-man – again! I owe you one Mate.

Tony the well chilled.

I hope the pics are attached OK.

Attachments

• dscf0075small.jpg
    dscf0075small.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 219
Sunny sunday

Cheers Shaun, Tony & Jez – the men maketh the day (well something like that !) and of course ta to Jim and Pam for getting us up and out to enjoy the ride. I think I’ll secrete a map about my person in future, but hey, we got there and back, and with Sundays weather I think it mattered not which roads we used.

First time I’ve been to that neck of the woods for 14 yrs – and that makes it twice now. Maybe next time we’ll do Honister and Newlands ?

Would’ve been interesting to see the cruiser on the hairpins at Hardknott !

Top pub too - recommended - beer festival early June !

By next month the days will be long enough to allow a return over Alston / Teesdale too.

A nice long day could be had going from Tony’s neck of the woods up to Shaun’s and back, still, Sunday was 5.5 hrs riding time so maybe that’s unrealistic.

The run last Summer with Lee was excellent, so let’s all get over there say May time and seek pastures new – top day, ta one and all !

Back
Top Bottom