Votes: 14 12.5%
  • 4 - 5 years

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • 5 - 7 years

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • more than 7 years

Votes: 23 20.5%

• Total voters
5 years on a Hawker oddessy 680 ... on optimate etc. Flattened twice. Now showing signs of high internal resistance and reduced AH. I'm buying another one.
I've bought the smaller 550(?) for the K75G/S. That I've had for maybe 2 years.

gasman said:
Schiannini,
did you have any trouble fitting this battery ? I'm planning to get one.
I see that Flaps found it too big to fit. I think this was due to his bike being non-abs/heated grips and therefore having a smaller original battery.
Cheers

Gasman

Neil W is right. Just take out the riser and put new battery in. Mine is in and works fine. :thumb

The main problem is the connecting your terminals. This may take a bit of personel ingenuity.

Flaps

Sorry Gasman,

Missed your original reply. Very easy install - took 10 mins. Personal ingenuity with terminal connection involved a pair of pliers and bend it till it fits.

Don't do a BTBR and put an allen key across the terminals as it all gets very hot :D (sorry Alan)

I've just replaced the original fitment battery on my 1995 1100GS a week ago. I've taken the bike off the road for the last 5 winters and never bothered to disconnect the battery and every spring it has charged up ok until this year...11 years, wow, pretty good going I'd say :thumb

When I bought my R1150R from a dealer it had a (not my choice) brand new Yuasa lead acid battery. It was put on Optimate until charged every 10-14 days.

Before it was 12 months old it would only start my bike with any enthusiasm if it was freshly off the charger.

I replaced it with an Exide AGM 2+ years ago and it cranks over healthily every time, whether it's been on the Optimate or not.

The Exide AGM price was less than a like for like Yuasa too. A no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

Brian.

My OEM BMW has now met me down twice , so in need of renewal when winter hibernation ends . 8 years !!!

I would be interested to know why you say this Greg.

From Optimate's FAQs :beerjug:

Can my OptiMate be left connected to my vehicle for long periods of time unattended?
 Yes. This is exactly what Optimate is designed to do. OptiMate’s gentle charging algorithm will never
overcharge or undercharge your battery.

From Optimate's FAQs :beerjug:

Can my OptiMate be left connected to my vehicle for long periods of time unattended?
 Yes. This is exactly what Optimate is designed to do. OptiMate’s gentle charging algorithm will never
overcharge or undercharge your battery.

I never do
In winter I put them on a smart charger for 24-36 hours every 3-4 weeks and then remove
Bring doing it for 20 years on 11/1150’s with no issues and on exide agm standard batteries

Optimate.png

I never do
In winter I put them on a smart charger for 24-36 hours every 3-4 weeks and then remove
Bring doing it for 20 years on 11/1150’s with no issues and on exide agm standard batteries

That's not the way to do it.

Every time you reconnect, you give the battery a surge charge that it probably doesn't need or want.

It probably is if like me the bike still gets used on occasions during the winter. I’ve tried both methods in the 22 years of 1150GS ownership and like JonnyBoxer find connecting the optímate one a month overnight works best. I’m on my third battery oem Exide which is now at least 10 years old and it works perfectly.

Optimate.png

That's not the way to do it.

Every time you reconnect, you give the battery a surge charge that it probably doesn't need or want.

Never been a problem once a month
In fact I haven’t charged the batteries much this winter as it has been so mild

It probably is if like me the bike still gets used on occasions during the winter. I’ve tried both methods in the 22 years of 1150GS ownership and like JonnyBoxer find connecting the optímate one a month overnight works best. I’m on my third battery oem Exide which is now at least 10 years old and it works perfectly.

Been using the once a month method for 20 years, only had one battery failure across 4 bikes and that was immediately after the year 5 service. I would a ride as a charge and will only get the charger out if its going to be stood for more that 3 weeks or so. This is across either my now ancient Accumate or BMW charger. Works for me!

My 1990 R100GS still has the original factory fitted battery on it, this winter has taken its toll and requires a charge after every outing.

Has anyone any experience of Odyssey batteries?
I have heard that they have super longevity and are maintenance free.
They are about £40 in the U.S.A but over £100 here. I have contacted them in the States via their website but have not received a reply.

I decided to go for a cheep battery for my R100 when i got it in 2012.

In 2012 got a Banner battery for £40 + VAT lasted 5 years

In 2017 i bought the same battery for £50 + VAT lasted just under 6 years

Replaced last week with the same Banner battery for £60+ VAT

So i reckon thats ok , i would have hated to lob out £300 for a top spec battery and then it only lasted 5 years

R1150R - original battery lasted 5 years. Bike was used daily to the tune of 60k miles in the first three years of life. Bit less in later years. Sat unused (I moved to the UK) 2007/2008 on a tender. Was working fine till the bike demise in 2008/9.

The OE battery on my 1150GS lasted a few weeks short of 10 years.

When parked in my garage it was permanently connected to an Optimate.

Just ordered a Motobatt. Original battery just showing signs of failing, so bought a replacement for the summer tours.

5 years...not too bad, altho I expected more (usually get 7 years ish out of my other bikes)

Recently acquired 1150 has a Motobatt fitted and if the bike is not left on the Optimate it starts but voltage is low and it resets the clock, good sign of a failing battery which according to a receipt with the bike is barely 2 years old.

Not the first Motobatt I have had that did not last , looks like a hew battery is on the cards in the near future

Back
Top Bottom