Fuel strip to float conversion complete guide.

Yes the 2010 RT is the same wiring as the GS so you will be able to change the wiring by moving the pins.
You will need the ultimate version of MotoScan.
On early bikes the float sender unit was mounted on the fuel pump and on the twin cam when they went back to a float they mounted it on the fuel filler neck.
By mounting it on the fuel filler neck it gave the float more room to cover a greater distance of the tank depth, making it a bit more accurate.
Before sourcing a float probably best to see which will fit yours.

Hi, I started on my 2008 R1200GS ADV and replaced the fuel strip with a float, but I am stuck at which main connectors. From what I can see in the wiring it looks like it is J1 connector (CORRECT?). Also, I got the covers of the connectors and the white retainer off, but I can't get the pin connectors blocks out of the main connectors. Can you show me how they come apart? Lastly, how do you know what number pins are what on the GS. I don't see numbers and I can't find a schematic of the pin block. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU!!

If your trying to do this on an RT it wont work

unless you have the correct ZFE -

It works on the GSA as they have 2 sets of pins on certain ZFE's

Pins 21 & 37 are the pins for the float

Pins 34 & 35 are the float along with pins 38 & 39 which are the heater

if the bike has the onboard computer ( range / fuel remaining) it looks for values from all four pins 23/35 38/39 as thats how the ZFE is set up

it cant work out one with out the other - all four pins gives one block of information to the ZFE

If you have the correct ZFE you can tell the ZFE you have a float system and to look at the data from pins 21 / 37 only

and it will ignore the data from pins 34/35/38/39

The RT uses pins 34/35 float & 38/39 heater there are no separate float only pins available

so you cant tell it to look for float only on other pins as there are no other pins

I agree regarding the early RT`s wiring up to the twin cam ( fuel strip only).
But the 2010 Rt diagram shows the same pin population as the GS / GSA with the 2 float and the 4 strip pins.

AAAHHHHGGG!!!!! I finished the swap on my 2008 R120GSA, also did an oil change while I was at it, reassembled then was about to take a test ride when the fuel pump started squirting fuel!!!! I think it is time to sell this bike!!!

I agree regarding the early RT`s wiring up to the twin cam ( fuel strip only).
But the 2010 Rt diagram shows the same pin population as the GS / GSA with the 2 float and the 4 strip pins.

HI Chris,
Your more than likley right, I only have the 06 wiring diagrams

He may still have a problem though ..

The RT uses a hybrid system - it has the float fitted & the strip

So in theory, he could just do the repinning, but i dont know if the oe float will work without the strip

Hi Santa,

"The RT uses a hybrid system - it has the float fitted & the strip"
How do you come to this opinion?
If this would be so, all of the pins 21/37 and 34/35/38/39 should be occupied.
In fact, there are actually the last four occupied; 21 and 37 are free.

Greetings Frankie

Hi Santa,

"The RT uses a hybrid system - it has the float fitted & the strip"
How do you come to this opinion?
If this would be so, all of the pins 21/37 and 34/35/38/39 should be occupied.
In fact, there are actually the last four occupied; 21 and 37 are free.

Greetings Frankie

Hi Frankie,

I typed out all the options and model codes, and forgot to press save, Doh :blast

Option code X539A is for the GS range - it is the choice for fuel computer Y /N

If Y you got a high level ZFE & fuel pump with float and the fuel strip

If N you got a basic or low ZFE & fuel pump with float & NO fuel strip

The fuel strip needs 4 wires to work 2 for the heater circuit and 2 for the sensing / float circuit

The ZFE however was pinned for both options Y & N so if you had the fuel strip, you could change to float, use the spare pins and reflash the ZFE to tell it it was a float only option

The GSA was broadly similar

The early models 03 - 08/09 are fuel pump & strip - no option of onboard computer - so the ZFE will only ever see fuel pump & strip

Certainly the early up to 06 models have no provision for the change as the pins are not on the ZFE i have heard that later models have the pins available

The early model GS had a fuel pump with a built in float sensor the later ofter MY 10 had a separate lever sensor

The RT started with a pump & strip and went right through until MY10

After MY 10 they went to a fuel pump & separate lever sensor

Perhaps my term Hybrid was misleading

The GS had an integrated pump / float assy and finished with a pump and separate float assy (v1)

The RT had an pump and strip assy and finished with a pump and separate float assy ( V1a)

does that help

Hi Santa,

no, unfortunately not.
I started the modification to float, physically all well done, but it seems that my ZFE (although ZFE high) doesn´t shows the option "inductive lever sensor", so i can´t deactivate it.

Any suggestions?

Greetings Frankie

Hi Santa,

no, unfortunately not.
I started the modification to float, physically all well done, but it seems that my ZFE (although ZFE high) doesn´t shows the option "inductive lever sensor", so i can´t deactivate it.

Any suggestions?

Greetings Frankie

You need either a Motoscan dongle or GS911 i beleive to do that ..

But i think it comes back to what we were saying. The option to switch is in the ( code / memory / chip / program ) whatever you want to call the ecu's brain.

If its only been coded to accept the pump & strip, and does not have pump & float encoded, it would require a re flash of the Rom, or a replacement ZFE for a later bike (post MY10) -

but we dont know if that will work.

The GS911 can not perform this function yet.
You will need the Ultimate version of the MotoScan App and a good connector such as the OBDlink LX or MX + the adaptor cable.
Go into Coding, find -- Thermo coupler FLS08 change this to potentiometer.
find -- Inductive_fuel_sensor and Deactivate.
Then "Perform Coding" at the bottom of the list.

Is there anyone in the UK who offers the service of swapping the fuel sensors from strip to float?

Mine is a 2010 twin cam but had a strip sensor which keeps failing - I keep zapping it with the lighter but it fails again after a few rides.

Thanks in advance

Hello Mistacat,

thank you for your response,

I already have ultimate and OBDlink Adapter,
I successfully coded "Thermoelement" from "Foliengeber" to "Potentiometer",
but my ZFE doesn´t show (as I wrote above, in #69) any option "inductive lever sensor".
Wladimir Gurskij (the developer of MotoScan) replied, MotoScan shows all options of the ZFE.
Apparently this workaround doesn´t work on the RT.

Greetings Frankie

Hello Mistacat,

thank you for your response,

I already have ultimate and OBDlink Adapter,
I successfully coded "Thermoelement" from "Foliengeber" to "Potentiometer",
but my ZFE doesn´t show (as I wrote above, in #69) any option "inductive lever sensor".
Wladimir Gurskij (the developer of MotoScan) replied, MotoScan shows all options of the ZFE.
Apparently this workaround doesn´t work on the RT.

Greetings Frankie

That is bad news, I have only carried it out on pre twin cam GSA.
So just out of interest I connected the OBDlink MX+ to my 2012 GS which is factory fitted with a float type fuel sender.
The 20th item down the "configuration" list under "coding" is "Thermo Coupler FLS08" which is selected as "Potentiometer" as expected.
But there is no sign of "INDUCTIVE_FUEL_SENSOR" as on the earlier bikes.
Have you tried the bike configured like this, I have not had the fuel gauge start to work straight away after the conversion, it has required the fuel tank to be filled to the brim and let it calibrate itself from there, Just moving the float had no effect for some reason.

Hello Mistacat,

I hope i got you right,
I swapped the sensor with a little fuel in the tank, then coded the ZFE (while floater unplugged).
Then connected the floater-plug and got no signal.
Then refilled the tank, but still no signal yet.

Greetings Frankie

I think I would have done the re coding with the new float plugged in, then carry on using the bike starting with a full tank.
These floats do not react like a stand alone float / fuel gauge where it is a simple circuit and an instant reaction.
The sensor is linked to the wheel speed, distance traveled, injector pulse width etc to be able to calculate range and average mpg.
The information I have given may not be right, just hoping that you can sort it.

Is there anyone in the UK who offers the service of swapping the fuel sensors from strip to float?

Mine is a 2010 twin cam but had a strip sensor which keeps failing - I keep zapping it with the lighter but it fails again after a few rides.

Thanks in advance

Give Denz0 a pm , this is his post and he has been a great help with this and his shock rebuilds.

Hello,

just a small intermediate result:
yesterday I took the bike for a ride.
Soon after start the display showed a full tank, the yellow warning light went off.
(Indeed the tank was nearly full.)
But the display doesn't change, the shown range increases by every mile.
I will keep an eye on it and report here.

Greetings Frankie

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Sounds promising. The factory float setup on my 2012GS TC will do 60 miles before the first bar on the fuel gauge drops, I feel they are more of an indication of fuel level rather than accurate reading. I rely on resetting the trip on fill up with all my vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom